Dave

Hi,
my old board seems to have died and I wondered if it is possible to use my
RAID drives on another setup without losing all the data etc. Would a new
raid system read the old Highpoint raid.

Thanks in anticipation,
Dave

Eeyore

Dave wrote:

> Hi,
> my old board seems to have died

Symptoms ? You know it might be the 'bad caps' thing. Those boards were well
made.

> and I wondered if it is possible to use my
> RAID drives on another setup without losing all the data etc. Would a new
> raid system read the old Highpoint raid.

Ought to I'd have thought. Only Highpoint would know but it was a very popular
RAID controller. I think it's equivalent to the model 370 you could get as a
PCI card.

http://www.google.com/search?a&rls=en&q=highpoint+370

Graham

Dave

Hi,
thanks for the reply. I cannot see any bad caps. After trying just about
everything I have found it will boot to my IDE 1 (no raid) disk (W98) by
removing the middle memory. It seems the slot is at fault, not the memory
itself. Strange.

Now trying to get the RAID working but using Recovery Console from my CD
CHKDSKsays the disk has 'unrecoverable errors' so back to the drawing board
again!

Regards,
Dave

"Eeyore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Dave wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> my old board seems to have died

> Symptoms ? You know it might be the 'bad caps' thing. Those boards were
> well
> made.
>

>> and I wondered if it is possible to use my
>> RAID drives on another setup without losing all the data etc. Would a
>> new
>> raid system read the old Highpoint raid.

> Ought to I'd have thought. Only Highpoint would know but it was a very
> popular
> RAID controller. I think it's equivalent to the model 370 you could get as
> PCI card.
>
> http://www.google.com/search?a&rls=en&q=highpoint+370
>
> Graham

Eeyore

Dave wrote:

> Hi,
> thanks for the reply. I cannot see any bad caps.

When you can see them bulged, top split or leaking it's obvious but some defects
such as simply 'drying up' may not be visible. I'd certainly consider a complete
re-cap of the electrolytics.
http://www.badcaps.net/

> After trying just about
> everything I have found it will boot to my IDE 1 (no raid) disk (W98) by
> removing the middle memory. It seems the slot is at fault, not the memory
> itself. Strange.

Yes, that is odd. If you have a ( smallish ) soldering iron it may pay to remake
the joints for the memory connector. DO be careful about anti-static precautions
btw. And wear cotton clothing only, it won't build up static on yourself.

> Now trying to get the RAID working but using Recovery Console from my CD
> CHKDSKsays the disk has 'unrecoverable errors' so back to the drawing board
> again!

I don't think a RAID disk is formatted the same way as Microsoft likes it. That
would explain it.

Graham

RonM

Is there anyone around who can go through one of these boards and
replace capacitors w/good ones and generally put it back in shape?

--
Ron Marraccini

news:49ca5234$0$28076$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> my old board seems to have died and I wondered if it is possible to use my
> RAID drives on another setup without losing all the data etc. Would a new
> raid system read the old Highpoint raid.
>
> Thanks in anticipation,
> Dave

KT7-RAID / KT7A-RAID Modded BIOS' Bird JanitorŽ Abit 0 05-10-2006 10:46 PM
KT7A-RAID: XP doesn't boot with a disk on RAID Oodini Abit 0 09-08-2004 10:39 PM
KT7A-RAID: non RAID disk on RAID port Oodini Abit 6 08-23-2004 11:52 AM
updating kt7a to kt7a-raid erikŠ Abit 1 11-27-2003 07:29 PM
How often does the RAID Controller crush when flashing BIOS to A9 on KT7A-RAID? Naso Abit 1 09-02-2003 11:48 PM