KV7 RAM problem

Justin Baker

Hi,

I recently replaced the two 256Mb PC2100 DIMMs in my mother's KV7 based PC
with one 1Gb PC3200 DIMM from Crucial. Since doing that, the PC freezes
randomly - no blue screen, the mouse pointer just disappears and you have to
turn it off or press the reset button - CTRL ALT DEL does nothing.

Before I put the old RAM back in, does anyone have any suggestions for BIOS
settings or other troubleshooting ideas that might stabilise the system?
The BIOS has been flashed to the latest version already.

Thanks,

JB

Wes Newell

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 10:55:47 +0000, Justin Baker wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I recently replaced the two 256Mb PC2100 DIMMs in my mother's KV7 based PC
> with one 1Gb PC3200 DIMM from Crucial. Since doing that, the PC freezes
> randomly - no blue screen, the mouse pointer just disappears and you have to
> turn it off or press the reset button - CTRL ALT DEL does nothing.
>
> Before I put the old RAM back in, does anyone have any suggestions for BIOS
> settings or other troubleshooting ideas that might stabilise the system?
> The BIOS has been flashed to the latest version already.

Reset (clear) cmos and reboot into memtest and test the ram. Increase dimm
voltage, lower cl. lower bus. many things you can do.

Dylan C

Justin Baker <justin.baker@ wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently replaced the two 256Mb PC2100 DIMMs in my mother's KV7 based PC
> with one 1Gb PC3200 DIMM from Crucial. Since doing that, the PC freezes
> randomly - no blue screen, the mouse pointer just disappears and you have to
> turn it off or press the reset button - CTRL ALT DEL does nothing.
>
> Before I put the old RAM back in, does anyone have any suggestions for BIOS
> settings or other troubleshooting ideas that might stabilise the system?
> The BIOS has been flashed to the latest version already.
>
> Thanks,
>
> JB

I'm assuming that the CPU is still runnig at 133MHz. If this is the
case, drop the memory bus to match it. Most errors should disappear
then. Of course, it should run at full speed with no errors. Memtest
should determine if the problem is with the memory or with some fault in
wondows.

-Dylan C

KV7 bios update, ati video problem DY Abit 0 02-25-2005 11:22 PM
Strange KV7-V problem Tom Morris Abit 3 12-19-2004 03:31 PM
KV7 and GF4MX440 problem... ruprecht Abit 1 10-29-2004 07:56 PM
Problem with KV7 & CPU's Trac Abit 10 12-01-2003 09:00 PM
KV7 and XP2600 T/Bred 333Mhz - Minor Problem Geoff Abit 0 11-16-2003 12:36 AM