KV8-MX - How to set memory timing

Shadow

Cant find it. Using DDR 400, but unstable. Want to try 300.
Cant find it in manual or actual bios.
TIA

Paul

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Shadow <sh@dow> wrote:

> Cant find it. Using DDR 400, but unstable. Want to try 300.
> Cant find it in manual or actual bios.
> TIA

Have you tried "Memclock Mode" set to [Manual] ?
The user manual claims more settings will be exposed if you
try that setting, but there are no pictures of the new
settings you will see.

Paul

Shadow

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 03:11:01 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Paul) wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Shadow <sh@dow> wrote:
>
>> Cant find it. Using DDR 400, but unstable. Want to try 300.
>> Cant find it in manual or actual bios.
>> TIA

>Have you tried "Memclock Mode" set to [Manual] ?
>The user manual claims more settings will be exposed if you
>try that setting, but there are no pictures of the new
>settings you will see.
>
> Paul

Thanks, the option was grayed out and I assumed it could not be
changed.
My memory is Kingston 3200

Any idea what the best settings might be ?

The bios had defaulted to 200Mz bus
I changed that to 400Mz (2:1), and I must confess, no difference felt
at all.

<sh@dow> wrote:

> >> Cant find it. Using DDR 400, but unstable. Want to try 300.
> >> Cant find it in manual or actual bios.
> >> TIA

> >Have you tried "Memclock Mode" set to [Manual] ?
> >The user manual claims more settings will be exposed if you
> >try that setting, but there are no pictures of the new
> >settings you will see.
> >
> > Paul

> Thanks, the option was grayed out and I assumed it could not be
> changed.
> My memory is Kingston 3200
>
> Any idea what the best settings might be ?
>
> The bios had defaulted to 200Mz bus
> I changed that to 400Mz (2:1), and I must confess, no difference felt
> at all.
>
> TIA

Get a copy of CPUZ ( www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php ) and verify the
resulting settings.

The "CPU" panel shows you the clock fed to the CPU (200.9MHz in
this example).

http://www.xtremenews.net/datos/arti...0+-2-2-2-5.jpg

In the "Memory" panel, the frequency shown is the one fed to the
RAM. The frequency is made, by dividing the core clock by the memory
divider (shown on the next line of the panel as "CPU/11" in this
example). The memory clock is 200.9MHz, which is DDR402. If the
person running this motherboard had selected a lower value in the
BIOS, this clock would be different than the one feeding the CPU.

http://www.xtremenews.net/datos/arti...0+-2-2-2-5.jpg

This is an example of an overclocked memory. The clock here is
280.9MHz, which is DDR562, and is very high by conventional
standards.

http://www.xtremenews.net/datos/arti...c2-a8n-MEM.jpg

The parameters that have the most effect on the memory bandwidth,
are the memory frequency and the Command Rate setting. From lowest
performance to highest performance, they would be

DDR333 Command Rate 2T
DDR333 Command Rate 1T
DDR400 Command Rate 2T
DDR400 Command Rate 1T (fastest)

Which setting is appropriate, depends on how many sticks of RAM
are installed in the motherboard, and which slots they are in.
Your manual is missing the normal "Table 1", but you can see
the recommended settings on page 21 of this manual:

http://www.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock.../e1721_k8n.pdf

The memory operation is a function of the CPU and not the
chipset, and that is why the Table 1 of the K8N manual can
be applied to the operation of your motherboard.

AMD also makes a technical document available, which they
have updated a number of times. Table 42 on PDF page 175
contains the same information as in the Asus manual Table 1.
The two columns on the right, show the maximum memory rate,
when the Command Rate is set to 1T (command per clock) or
2T (command per every two clocks). If you are using two
sticks of RAM, they should go in slot 1 and slot 3. AMD
says two sticks are only capable of DDR333, but you can try
a higher setting than that.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...docs/26094.PDF

When you adjust the memory subsystem, and especially if the
memory is being overclocked, you should test the memory with
memtest86+ from http://www.memtest.org . It is important to
boot with the memtest86+ floppy first, and test the memory,
because if you just boot into Windows, your Windows install
could be corrupted. So be careful with your memory experiments.

HTH,
Paul

Shadow

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 22:37:26 -0300, in alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
you wrote:

>On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 03:11:01 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Paul) wrote:

(about mem settings in K8V-MX board)
Great post, maybe a bit over my head, as I could not
find the "command" option in the bios settings, but I managed to set
the MB to DDR 400 (it defaults to DDR 200). I was getting the
hypertransport thingy mixed up with the memory bus speed.
I tried searching google, but only found out of date
bios-setting tutorials.
TNXs for the post

What's a good timing set for E6600 and P5W DH? Ron Krebs Asus 12 10-07-2006 02:08 AM
BH-5 Memory Timing Lankshire Abit 4 05-01-2004 04:53 AM
Cannot manually set memory timing Fitz Gigabyte 0 01-27-2004 02:05 AM
Need agressive memory timing advise please me@here.com Asus 1 06-26-2003 07:17 PM
A7N8X deluxe memory timing settings help needed please me@here.com Asus 2 06-25-2003 04:39 PM