KV8 Pro - Wont boot after holiday :-(

Phil Saunders

Hi all

I have a KV8 Pro motherboard with an amd 3200 chip. After returning from
hols (having powered down and switched off at wall etc) system wouldnt boot
and beeps one longer then one shorter beep.

When power is switched on the internal led display shows 0.1. then goes to
8.3. (except the 3 is a digital one and is missing the top horizonal bar -
then it does its beeps and displays 9.L. but with the bottom vertical bar of
the L missing then it displays 9.L. but with the horizontal bar moved up and
the bottom vertical bar missing so it looks like half a square.

I apologise if my descriptions are a little unclear.

Anyway online all I could find was a suggestion that it was a ram error so I
removed each module in turn and swapped them into other ram slots one at a
time and none of that made any difference.

Although the motherboard led lighs up and the post led display does too no
other power is evident, no fans spin and no drives sound as if they are
testing either.

I would be obliged for any help as my degree assignment is due on Tuesday
and I need the pc to complete it. I am posting from my work laptop but I
cant install the software I need on this :-(

thanks in anticipation

Phil Saunderfs

"Phil Saunders" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:skrhi.9711$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all
>
> I have a KV8 Pro motherboard with an amd 3200 chip. After returning from
> hols (having powered down and switched off at wall etc) system wouldnt
> boot and beeps one longer then one shorter beep.

<snip>

I had a problem with *similar* but not the same symptoms on a DFI NF4
motherboard. It was a cold boot issue with performance ram. Refused to
spin up any fans or post. I managed to get it started by swapping out the
2-2-2-5 corsair pc3200 which needed 2.9V to boot and replaced it with a
single stick of generic pc2100. Reset the bios then it managed to boot ok
with the pc2100. Then reset bios voltages to manual settings and rebooted.
Then shutdown and fitted corsair again, no probs now!?! Really odd problem
as I now run ballistix pc4000 on the same mobo and it copes no problems!
Pah! Give it a try.

Chri$

Phil Saunders

<$> wrote in message news(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Phil Saunders" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:skrhi.9711$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi all
>>
>> I have a KV8 Pro motherboard with an amd 3200 chip. After returning from
>> hols (having powered down and switched off at wall etc) system wouldnt
>> boot and beeps one longer then one shorter beep.

> <snip>
>
> I had a problem with *similar* but not the same symptoms on a DFI NF4
> motherboard. It was a cold boot issue with performance ram. Refused to
> spin up any fans or post. I managed to get it started by swapping out the
> 2-2-2-5 corsair pc3200 which needed 2.9V to boot and replaced it with a
> single stick of generic pc2100. Reset the bios then it managed to boot ok
> with the pc2100. Then reset bios voltages to manual settings and
> rebooted. Then shutdown and fitted corsair again, no probs now!?! Really
> odd problem as I now run ballistix pc4000 on the same mobo and it copes no
> problems! Pah! Give it a try.
>
> Chri$

Hi Chris

Thanks for that, turns out the mob was faulty and had to be replaced :-(

thanks again for the info

regards

Phil