Label colouring

dorayme

Always looked rather ugly to me how the label colouring is applied to
file and folder names. In column view, there are two aspects to this.
First, there is no need for *rounded* rectangles. It looks over-done
and jarring among fairly square file and folder icons and triangles,
and the other thing is it seems unnecessary for the label colour to
extend all the way across: more is less and just the text of the file
or folder name coloured would do fine.

Just a small niggle, no big deal.

--
dorayme

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, dorayme
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Always looked rather ugly to me how the label colouring is applied to
> file and folder names. In column view, there are two aspects to this.
> First, there is no need for *rounded* rectangles. It looks over-done
> and jarring among fairly square file and folder icons and triangles,
> and the other thing is it seems unnecessary for the label colour to
> extend all the way across: more is less and just the text of the file
> or folder name coloured would do fine.

it's hideous and can be confused with highlighting in some cases.

it was *much* better before os x, when just the text & icon was
coloured, not the whole rectangle.

Howard

dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Always looked rather ugly to me how the label colouring is applied to
> file and folder names. In column view, there are two aspects to this.
> First, there is no need for *rounded* rectangles. It looks over-done
> and jarring among fairly square file and folder icons and triangles,
> and the other thing is it seems unnecessary for the label colour to
> extend all the way across: more is less and just the text of the file
> or folder name coloured would do fine.
>
> Just a small niggle, no big deal.

I guess each to his own because I really love it, and use label colours
a lot, both in list view and icon view on the desktop. I also love the
rounded effects

No one can please everyone

Howard

Fred Moore

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Always looked rather ugly to me how the label colouring is applied to
> file and folder names. In column view, there are two aspects to this.
> First, there is no need for *rounded* rectangles. It looks over-done
> and jarring among fairly square file and folder icons and triangles,
> and the other thing is it seems unnecessary for the label colour to
> extend all the way across: more is less and just the text of the file
> or folder name coloured would do fine.
>
> Just a small niggle, no big deal.

Well, dorayme, if you _spelled_ it correctly (coloring), it'd look much
more acceptable. :-D

(Hey, it's Saturday morning and it's raining.)

--
I screwed you ALL!
But thanks for lettin' me

Michelle Steiner

Fred Moore <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> (Hey, it's Saturday morning

Indeed it is.

> and it's raining.)

No, it's not.

--
Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

dorayme

In article <140420120934317282%(E-Mail Removed)>,
nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, dorayme
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Always looked rather ugly to me how the label colouring is applied to
> > file and folder names. In column view, there are two aspects to this.
> > First, there is no need for *rounded* rectangles. It looks over-done
> > and jarring among fairly square file and folder icons and triangles,
> > and the other thing is it seems unnecessary for the label colour to
> > extend all the way across: more is less and just the text of the file
> > or folder name coloured would do fine.

> it's hideous and can be confused with highlighting in some cases.
>
> it was *much* better before os x, when just the text & icon was
> coloured, not the whole rectangle.

I have clean forgotten how it was, thanks for reminding me! Maybe I
unconsciously registered (and recoiled from) the change. Don't much
use labelling, I tend to make folders instead, but it is useful now
and then.

--
dorayme

dorayme

In article <1kijqa2.1644ouk18l6rm4N%(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) (Howard) wrote:

> dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Always looked rather ugly to me how the label colouring is applied to
> > file and folder names. In column view, there are two aspects to this.
> > First, there is no need for *rounded* rectangles. It looks over-done
> > and jarring among fairly square file and folder icons and triangles,
> > and the other thing is it seems unnecessary for the label colour to
> > extend all the way across: more is less and just the text of the file
> > or folder name coloured would do fine.
> >
> > Just a small niggle, no big deal.

> I guess each to his own because I really love it, and use label colours
> a lot, both in list view and icon view on the desktop. I also love the
> rounded effects
>
> No one can please everyone

Very true!

There are many sorts of disagreements among people, some are not worth
arguing about (at least for the purpose of achieving a productive
outcome), others are. Simple matters of taste are not usually amenable
to productive discussion. Other sorts can be more objective. I have no
real idea if label colour *shaping* has any objective issues that
would practically ever be settled, beyond opinion polling sort of
facts.

If it turned out that rectangular coloured backing, and shrink-fitting
the name of a file or folder, or some other arrangement tended to make
people make less mistakes, raised production etc. then, of course, we
would have an amenably objective objective element.

--
dorayme

dorayme

Fred Moore <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > ...label colouring...

> Well, dorayme, if you _spelled_ it correctly (coloring), it'd look much
> more acceptable. :-D

Well, I salute your good old yanky heart!

--
dorayme

John Varela

On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 15:55:33 UTC, Michelle Steiner
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
> Fred Moore <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > (Hey, it's Saturday morning

> Indeed it is.
>
> > and it's raining.)

> No, it's not.

I wish it would.

--
John Varela

Jamie Kahn Genet

Fred Moore <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Well, dorayme, if you _spelled_ it correctly (coloring), it'd look much
> more acceptable. :-D

I don't get why the US felt it had to dumb down English *shrug*