Laptop backlight quitting intermittently

DaveC

Averatec laptop backlight turns off after random lengths of time. Can still
see the dim images on the screen that behave normally to mouse inputs, so the
LCD is still alive.

I presume that the high-voltage PCB that runs the bulb is going bad. Is there
any chance that this is a virus or software bug that is causing the backlight
to turn off?

I Googled for this but nothing definitive came up.

Thanks,
--
DaveC
(E-Mail Removed)

DaveC

BTW, running Windows XP Pro.

Thanks,
--

zwsdotcom@gmail.com

DaveC wrote:
> I presume that the high-voltage PCB that runs the bulb is going bad. Is there
> any chance that this is a virus or software bug that is causing the backlight
> to turn off?

Not really. But it need not be the inverter at fault, it could easily
be a cabling issue. What model Averatec is this?

DaveC

Thus spake (E-Mail Removed):

> Not really. But it need not be the inverter at fault, it could easily
> be a cabling issue. What model Averatec is this?

Model: 3200
Tilting the screen hinges back and forth does not start or stop the
phenomenon.

Thanks,
--
DaveC
(E-Mail Removed)
This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

DaveC

> Model: 3200

Correction: Model 3280
--
DaveC
(E-Mail Removed)
This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

DaveC

Thus spake (E-Mail Removed):

> Not really. But it need not be the inverter at fault, it could easily
> be a cabling issue. What model Averatec is this?

Is the inverter circuit on the motherboard or is it on a separate PCB?

Thanks,
--
DaveC
(E-Mail Removed)
This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

shockwa

I was having an issue with a new LCD and inverter. The backlight still
wasnt functioning. Then someone told me about the "toggle switch" that
turns the backlight on or off when the lid is opened and closed. Supposed to
be near the keyboard. Maybe it has a short or isn't functioning.
=======================================
news:(E-Mail Removed) news.net...

meow2222@care2.com

DaveC wrote:

> Averatec laptop backlight turns off after random lengths of time. Can still
> see the dim images on the screen that behave normally to mouse inputs, so the
> LCD is still alive.
>
> I presume that the high-voltage PCB that runs the bulb is going bad. Is there
> any chance that this is a virus or software bug that is causing the backlight
> to turn off?
>
> I Googled for this but nothing definitive came up.
>
> Thanks,

Loose connection / bad joint somewhere. Prodding about with an
insulated tool should narrow it down.

NT

DaveC

Thus spake shockwa:

> I was having an issue with a new LCD and inverter. The backlight still
> wasnt functioning. Then someone told me about the "toggle switch" that
> turns the backlight on or off when the lid is opened and closed. Supposed to
> be near the keyboard. Maybe it has a short or isn't functioning.

What model is your laptop?

Thanks,
--

DaveC wrote:

> > Not really. But it need not be the inverter at fault, it could easily
> > be a cabling issue. What model Averatec is this?

> Is the inverter circuit on the motherboard or is it on a separate PCB?

The inverter is always on a separate PCB in the upper half of the
laptop, because the HV wires need to be as short as possible (they
radiate EM noise, and they're also lossy).

Apart from the backlight switch issue mentioned by another poster, you
might have a heat issue on the inverter. I'd open up the screen half of
the laptop and let it run until it fails, then _carefully_ squirt
freeze spray on the inverter to locate the bad component.

Sony laptop intermittently crashes, won't reboot Zen Cohen Laptops 4 02-11-2005 02:59 PM
hp proliant frozen after quitting telnet FabienM HP 2 06-09-2004 03:02 PM
Mystery Finder quitting Fred G Apple 1 10-14-2003 06:37 PM
Disk Utility and Toast keep quitting? Jim Paul Apple 3 09-05-2003 02:40 PM
Mail.app quitting unexpectedly Gavin Apple 2 08-18-2003 06:43 PM