Laptop closes down

MikeM

A friend has a toshiba laptop that closes down after being on for 5-10
minutes. any suggestions where to look? It is running XP but I don't
know the specs of the computer.

Thanks
Mike

Ben Myers

MikeM wrote:
> A friend has a toshiba laptop that closes down after being on for 5-10
> minutes. any suggestions where to look? It is running XP but I don't
> know the specs of the computer.
>
> Thanks
> Mike

Not exactly a message about HP, but there is no Toshiba newsgroup, and
my response may be of general interest.

Where to look?

#1. Excessive heat caused by clogged air vents and cooling fan.
#2. See #1.
#3. Software may be the cause, tho unlikely. If your friend has a "live
CD" for Linux, try running it for a while to see if the computer shuts
down then. If it does, see #1, see if blowing out the air vents with
compressed air solves the problem. Also, a partial disassembly of the
system cleaning out all dust, dirt and other debris may be the answer,
but often best left in the hands of a competent professional. I
disassemble laptops enough so I can get at the cooling fan(s) with
Q-tips and other small things to loosen dist and dirt.
#4. Toshiba has a track record of using somewhat oddball chipsets and
other hardware in the designs of its laptops. It is possible that a
freeware utility like Speedfan will work, to monitor system
temperatures, but probably not.

.... Ben Myers

Dell closes down hardware design unit in India Tony Harding Dell 1 12-08-2007 01:16 AM
ABXZone closes Alan Tetley Asus 5 02-05-2006 08:17 PM
Dell Closes Customer Message Boards NoNoBadDog! Dell 3 07-15-2005 06:09 PM
Symantec Internet Security 2005 user session error closes Nortons mig30m6@hotmail.com HP 1 03-26-2005 04:09 PM
Vulpine GLMark closes / crashes to desktop with Ti4200 Dave Arbok Nvidia 1 08-12-2004 02:02 PM