Motherboard Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

Laptop cursor freezing...

 
 
chicagofan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-07-2009, 03:54 PM
.... or at least that is what appears to be happening intermittently. Is
the pad going bad? Or are other things causing the delays? I've
noticed it also pauses occasionally after I've typed a few keystrokes
before they appear. What can I check? It's getting decidedly worse
this a.m., and I haven't spilled anything on it.

It's a Gateway MX 6440. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Barbara
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
chicagofan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-07-2009, 04:13 PM
chicagofan wrote:
> ... or at least that is what appears to be happening intermittently. Is
> the pad going bad? Or are other things causing the delays? I've
> noticed it also pauses occasionally after I've typed a few keystrokes
> before they appear. What can I check? It's getting decidedly worse
> this a.m., and I haven't spilled anything on it.
>
> It's a Gateway MX 6440. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Barbara
>


Should alter this to say... "total keyboard" freezing frequently.
bj
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
chicagofan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-07-2009, 04:22 PM
chicagofan wrote:
> chicagofan wrote:
>
>> ... or at least that is what appears to be happening intermittently. Is
>> the pad going bad? Or are other things causing the delays? I've
>> noticed it also pauses occasionally after I've typed a few keystrokes
>> before they appear. What can I check? It's getting decidedly worse
>> this a.m., and I haven't spilled anything on it.
>>
>> It's a Gateway MX 6440. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Barbara
>>
>>

>
> Should alter this to say... "total keyboard" freezing frequently.
> bj
>


Hate to keep doing this piece meal, but after checking performance [with
ctrl/alt/delete] I see that my pc is having 95-100% cpu usage *bursts*
every few mins. Do I have a trojan or something? I've never had one
before in 15 yrs online, so I don't know what they do. TIA....
bj
 
Reply With Quote
 
BillW50
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-07-2009, 04:56 PM
In news:n9ijl.367$(E-Mail Removed),
chicagofan typed on Sat, 07 Feb 2009 10:54:55 -0500:
> ... or at least that is what appears to be happening intermittently.
> Is the pad going bad? Or are other things causing the delays? I've
> noticed it also pauses occasionally after I've typed a few keystrokes
> before they appear. What can I check? It's getting decidedly worse
> this a.m., and I haven't spilled anything on it.
>
> It's a Gateway MX 6440. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.


Hi Barbara! I would check the Task Manager for something using a lot of
CPU time. I also would check the cursor movement under safe mode. As
everything should be fine there. If not, you might have another problem
going on. Let us know what you find.

--
Bill
2 Gateway MX6124 - Windows XP SP2
3 Asus EEE PC 701G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
2 Asus EEE PC 702G8 ~ 1GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
Windows XP SP2 ~ Xandros Linux - Puppy - Ubuntu


 
Reply With Quote
 
chicagofan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-07-2009, 04:58 PM
chicagofan wrote:
> chicagofan wrote:
>
>> chicagofan wrote:
>>
>>> ... or at least that is what appears to be happening intermittently. Is
>>> the pad going bad? Or are other things causing the delays? I've
>>> noticed it also pauses occasionally after I've typed a few keystrokes
>>> before they appear. What can I check? It's getting decidedly worse
>>> this a.m., and I haven't spilled anything on it.
>>>
>>> It's a Gateway MX 6440. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Barbara
>>>
>>>

>> Should alter this to say... "total keyboard" freezing frequently.
>> bj
>>

>
> Hate to keep doing this piece meal, but after checking performance [with
> ctrl/alt/delete] I see that my pc is having 95-100% cpu usage *bursts*
> every few mins. Do I have a trojan or something? I've never had one
> before in 15 yrs online, so I don't know what they do. TIA....
> bj
>


OK... panic's over about my laptop dying by degrees. After checking Sys
config and finding no new Start Up items, and seeing that no new
processes are running, I'm convinced it's the update to my browser I
made earlier this week that is doing this. I'll pursue this in the
Mozilla newsgroups.

BTW, is there still an icon you can use [in Win XP] on the task bar,
that will show cpu usage? Seems like I used to have that on an older
Windows pc.

Just want to say I'm glad some of you, especially you Ben Myers are
keeping this group alive. Gateway is still my preference, even though
it's been sold.
bj

 
Reply With Quote
 
BillW50
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-07-2009, 05:04 PM
In news:ezijl.2866$(E-Mail Removed),
chicagofan typed on Sat, 07 Feb 2009 11:22:27 -0500:
> chicagofan wrote:
>> chicagofan wrote:
>>
>>> ... or at least that is what appears to be happening
>>> intermittently. Is the pad going bad? Or are other things causing
>>> the delays? I've noticed it also pauses occasionally after I've
>>> typed a few keystrokes before they appear. What can I check? It's
>>> getting decidedly worse this a.m., and I haven't spilled anything
>>> on it. It's a Gateway MX 6440. Any advice will be greatly
>>> appreciated.
>>>
>>> Barbara
>>>
>>>

>>
>> Should alter this to say... "total keyboard" freezing frequently.
>> bj
>>

>
> Hate to keep doing this piece meal, but after checking performance
> [with ctrl/alt/delete] I see that my pc is having 95-100% cpu usage
> *bursts* every few mins. Do I have a trojan or something? I've
> never had one before in 15 yrs online, so I don't know what they do.
> TIA.... bj


Click on the Process tab and tell us which process is eating up all of
the time.

--
Bill
2 Gateway MX6124 - Windows XP SP2
3 Asus EEE PC 701G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
2 Asus EEE PC 702G8 ~ 1GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
Windows XP SP2 ~ Xandros Linux - Puppy - Ubuntu


 
Reply With Quote
 
BillW50
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-07-2009, 05:10 PM
In news:b5jjl.5379$(E-Mail Removed),
chicagofan typed on Sat, 07 Feb 2009 11:58:43 -0500:
> chicagofan wrote:
>> chicagofan wrote:
>>
>>> chicagofan wrote:
>>>
>>>> ... or at least that is what appears to be happening
>>>> intermittently. Is the pad going bad? Or are other things
>>>> causing the delays? I've noticed it also pauses occasionally
>>>> after I've typed a few keystrokes before they appear. What can I
>>>> check? It's getting decidedly worse this a.m., and I haven't
>>>> spilled anything on it. It's a Gateway MX 6440. Any advice
>>>> will be greatly appreciated.
>>>>
>>>> Barbara
>>>>
>>>>
>>> Should alter this to say... "total keyboard" freezing frequently.
>>> bj
>>>

>>
>> Hate to keep doing this piece meal, but after checking performance
>> [with ctrl/alt/delete] I see that my pc is having 95-100% cpu usage
>> *bursts* every few mins. Do I have a trojan or something? I've
>> never had one before in 15 yrs online, so I don't know what they do.
>> TIA.... bj
>>

>
> OK... panic's over about my laptop dying by degrees. After checking
> Sys config and finding no new Start Up items, and seeing that no new
> processes are running, I'm convinced it's the update to my browser I
> made earlier this week that is doing this. I'll pursue this in the
> Mozilla newsgroups.
>
> BTW, is there still an icon you can use [in Win XP] on the task bar,
> that will show cpu usage? Seems like I used to have that on an older
> Windows pc.
>
> Just want to say I'm glad some of you, especially you Ben Myers are
> keeping this group alive. Gateway is still my preference, even though
> it's been sold.
> bj


You can minimize the Task Manager and it will show CPU usage in the
System Tray. Although I like MS free Process Explorer much better.
Whatever you use, just make a shortcut in your Startup folder if you
want it to automatically run at boot.

--
Bill
2 Gateway MX6124 - Windows XP SP2
3 Asus EEE PC 701G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
2 Asus EEE PC 702G8 ~ 1GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
Windows XP SP2 ~ Xandros Linux - Puppy - Ubuntu


 
Reply With Quote
 
chicagofan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-07-2009, 05:23 PM
BillW50 wrote:
> chicagofan typed on Sat, 07 Feb 2009 11:58:43 -0500:
>
>> OK... panic's over about my laptop dying by degrees. After checking
>> Sys config and finding no new Start Up items, and seeing that no new
>> processes are running, I'm convinced it's the update to my browser I
>> made earlier this week that is doing this. I'll pursue this in the
>> Mozilla newsgroups.
>>
>> BTW, is there still an icon you can use [in Win XP] on the task bar,
>> that will show cpu usage? Seems like I used to have that on an older
>> Windows pc.
>> bj
>>

>
> You can minimize the Task Manager and it will show CPU usage in the
> System Tray. Although I like MS free Process Explorer much better.
> Whatever you use, just make a shortcut in your Startup folder if you
> want it to automatically run at boot.
>
>

Thanks so much, Bill for your replies! I thought my trustworthy laptop
was failing and it's such a relief to have a place to go and get help.

I'll check out the Process Explorer, before setting up the Task
Manager. Thanks again for all your advice.
bj


 
Reply With Quote
 
BillW50
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-07-2009, 07:44 PM
In news:2sjjl.5380$(E-Mail Removed),
chicagofan typed:
> Thanks so much, Bill for your replies! I thought my trustworthy
> laptop was failing and it's such a relief to have a place to go and
> get help.
> I'll check out the Process Explorer, before setting up the Task
> Manager. Thanks again for all your advice.
> bj


Sure no problem.

--
Bill
2 Gateway MX6124 - Windows XP SP2
3 Asus EEE PC 701G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
2 Asus EEE PC 702G8 ~ 1GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
Windows XP SP2 ~ Xandros Linux - Puppy - Ubuntu


 
Reply With Quote
 
chicagofan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-08-2009, 08:34 PM
Joan F (MI) wrote:
> I have a nice program called StatBar that runs a very thin bar across the
> top of the screen and shows CPU usage, memory usage, and a number of other
> things, you can choose what to put on it. Free at: http://www.statbar.nl/
>


Thanks, Joan! I'll take a look at it too.
bj


> chicagofan wrote:
> |
> | OK... panic's over about my laptop dying by degrees. After checking
> | Sys config and finding no new Start Up items, and seeing that no new
> | processes are running, I'm convinced it's the update to my browser I
> | made earlier this week that is doing this. I'll pursue this in the
> | Mozilla newsgroups.
> |
> | BTW, is there still an icon you can use [in Win XP] on the task bar,
> | that will show cpu usage? Seems like I used to have that on an older
> | Windows pc.
> |
> | Just want to say I'm glad some of you, especially you Ben Myers are
> | keeping this group alive. Gateway is still my preference, even though
> | it's been sold.
> | bj
>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: Help - cursor has disappeared on laptop Robert Miles HP 0 10-16-2008 12:35 AM
Toshiba laptop cursor jumping Can't figure it out Laptops 6 08-07-2008 04:06 PM
Ancient compaq laptop with J-key cursor ron99999 Compaq 0 10-24-2006 10:15 PM
Cursor disappears from laptop's screen keren.david@il.zim.com Laptops 0 10-11-2006 11:10 AM
Sony laptop Lost mouse cursor Bob Laptops 3 11-21-2005 02:37 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:16 AM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment