What laptop fits this bill? Suggestions please?

Rudolf Potucek

Hi All!

I am looking to buy a (used) laptop the prime purpose of which is
supposed to be portability, so I am looking for something with these
qualities in order of importance:

1. Ultralong battery life (>6h)
2. Small/lightweight
3. VGA and USB ports (ideally USB2)

Some of you will say light and long batterylife are opposites, but I am
quite willing to compromise on processing power. 300-600 MHz is plenty and
I don't care for gadgets like CD burners etc. (viz. USB port). The problem
is that with this sort of wishlist I am pretty much limited to "old"
stuff, but I don't know where to find relevant reviews for "old" laptops
Anyone got a suggestion for a laptop that will fit the bill OR a place
that has tabular listings of things like battery life, weight and
dimensions for older products?

Thanks!

Rudolf

--
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste
rien a ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien a

(You know you've achieved perfection in
design, not when you have nothing more to add,
but when you have nothing more to take away.)

Antoine de Sait-Exupery -- Le Petit Prince

eMeL

"Rudolf Potucek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bhhre5$gfm$(E-Mail Removed)...
> 1. Ultralong battery life (>6h)
> 2. Small/lightweight
> 3. VGA and USB ports (ideally USB2)
>
> Some of you will say light and long batterylife are opposites, but I am
> quite willing to compromise on processing power. 300-600 MHz is plenty and
> I don't care for gadgets like CD burners etc. (viz. USB port). The problem
> is that with this sort of wishlist I am pretty much limited to "old"
> stuff, but I don't know where to find relevant reviews for "old" laptops
> Anyone got a suggestion for a laptop that will fit the bill OR a place
> that has tabular listings of things like battery life, weight and
> dimensions for older products?

There aren't any "old" laptops (I mean "real laptops, capable of running "real"
versions of MS Windoze, Linux, etc.) with a "> 6 hrs" battery life. Period. You may
find older devices running Windoze CE with a long battery life but that's it. And
there are also Pocket PCs and Palms and such (Psion, etc.)

OTOH there are plenty of new(er) laptops with long battery life, either using a "high
capacity battery" or a second battery installed - for example - in the CD-ROM slot.
Look for offerings from Fujitsu, NEC, Sony, etc. These machines use either Transmeta
processors or (more likely in new laptops) Ultra Low Voltage (ULV) Pentium M (900
MHz. and similar.)

I have recently gotten a Fujitsu lifebook P50010D with 900 MHz ULV Pentium-M
processor, 60G drive, 512 M RAM, 802.11b/g networking, DVD/CD-RW, USB2 ports, VGA and
S-Video out, 10.6" panoramic screen, etc. and the battery life is approx. 4:45 on a
single (standard capacity) battery and almost 10 hours with the second battery
installed instead of DVD/CD-RW.

To get a long battery life, you are by no means limited to small footprint and
smallish screens - Sony, IBM, Panasonic, Dell, Toshiba, etc. all make wonderful
Pentium-M machines with very long battery life and 12-14" screens.

--
><emeL><

....nothin' ain't worth nothin', but it's free...