laptop-not responding

Felicity Ross

Hello
I was wondering if anyone could help. I have a Acer TM 2310 about 18 m.o. It
seems to have just died like no power was getting through, I tried a
different adapter and the power from the mains is not the problem. Any
ideas?
Thanks in advance
Felicity

jappy

Be glad you got 18 months lifetime out of it. This is typical for
ACER products.

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 22:25:53 +1100, "Felicity Ross"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hello
>I was wondering if anyone could help. I have a Acer TM 2310 about 18 m.o. It
>seems to have just died like no power was getting through, I tried a
>different adapter and the power from the mains is not the problem. Any
>ideas?
>Thanks in advance
>Felicity

CM

I have been troubleshooting an Acer TM 2502 LMi with similar problems for
several days without arriving a definitive diagnosis.
The owner of this laptop said that the symptoms started with frequent
freezeups and then it stopped to boot altogether. Finally, when the laptop
is connected to Power Adapter which is inserted to a properly functioning AC
outlet, its Power LED Light, HDD LED light, Caplock LED light and Ins LED
light will come and stay steady green. and the battery LED will be amber for
an hour or so as if it is getting charged and then the Battery LED light
goes off. Battery LED light never turns green. The CPU fan comes on every
now and then for a few minutes and then stops spinning. If I push the Power
button, nothing is displayed on the screen. Tried a different Power Adapter
with the same result. Tried a new battery and charged overnight using the
new adapter. When the Power adapter is used with Battery inside the Laptop,
the symptoms described before [Steady Green Power LED, HDD LED and Caplock
and Ins LED and no response on Monitor screen with Power On switch
activation ] occurred. If the charged battery alone was used and the ON/OFF
Switch is pushed, LEDs will flicker with amber color for fraction of a
second and no POST messages are displayed and the screen remains blank.
Because the laptop has exceeded its One year warranty, ACER wouldn't provide
any technical support. The email support is a joke; no answer in 4 days!
There are no Service Manual even to try your own troubleshoot by opening and
swapping any available hardware.
Based on my experience opening other brand name LAPTOPS I was able to
disassemble the PC. I removed the HDD and inserted a new HDD . But the
problem of persistent lit HDD LED remianed and the computer did not go
through the POST. I tried its RAMs on another laptop and they were properly
recognized as good. I changed its CMOS battery with a new one. The problem
was unchanged. I removed the heat sink assembly and cleaned the CPU of the
dried up thermal paste, and applied a fresh layer of Thermal compund and
reseated the Intel CPU and its heat sink, still no luck.
I cannot get another CPU to swap to rule out a dead CPU. Of course finally,
I cannot get a Mobo to rule out a damaged MoBo.I suspect a damaged Mobo or
CPU as the acuse of the failure to Power On the PC. Unlike a Desktop PC, you
are at the mercy of the Laptop manufacturer to fix most hardware problems
that come up. Acer is the worst as far as Tech Support is concerned.
If you want help in opening the PC, I can assist as TM2300 and 2500 series
must be similar in their construction and there for disassembly.
If anyone can shed any light on the possible cause (s) for the symptoms this
Acer TM 2502LMi is having, I will appreciate their input.
Thanks.
news:(E-Mail Removed)...