Laptop questions

shareyourknowledge@hotmail.com

I am considering buying a laptop. I already have a desktop, but want a
laptop for school I don't need all the bells and whistles, just
something basic. I don't play games or will i use it to play dvds,
perhaps cds.Any brand or model to consider? I want to get the best i
can afford for the stuff i need.{Up to $1000.00 if i need to spend that
much} I already have a printer waiting to hook up to it.I did want to
know if i could hook up a laptop to the net via my desktop computeror
do i have to get wireless hookup.? Thanks

Jonathan L. Parker

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I am considering buying a laptop. I already have a desktop, but want a
> laptop for school.

Grade school? Junior high or middle school? High school? College?
Vocational or trade school, perchance?

I merely point this out because where you are with your education will
determine your software needs, and the hardware you'll need to support it.

>I don't need all the bells and whistles, just
> something basic. I don't play games (n)or will i use it to play DVDs, (but)
> perhaps CDs.

Yeah, right-sure you won't!

Anyway, if anyone still makes a laptop that doesn't play DVDs, it's got
to be a sub-$400 Black Friday special. And I'd avoid one that doesn't,
because soon enough, that's how most software that isn't delivered over
the Web will likely be distributed.

>Any brand or model to consider? I want to get the best (I)
> can afford for the stuff (I) need (up to $1000.00 if {I} need to spend that
> much). I already have a printer waiting to hook up to it.

How old a printer? If it's a parallel-port dinosaur, you might want to
set aside some extra cash for a port replicator so you can connect it,
or see how good a deal you can swing on a USB printer. Many retailers
throw in a cheap printer when you buy a new computer nowadays.

Then again, your next question raises the possibility of another solution.

>I did want to know if (I) could hook up a laptop to the net via my desktop computer or
> do (I) have to get (a) wireless hookup?

If you've got a grand to spend, that will easily cover both a
wireless-enabled laptop and access point/router. Assuming you have
broadband, this is all you'll need to get online. If not, you can
either use Internet Connection Sharing on the desktop (if it's running
Windows 98 SE or later) to access your dialup, or try finding an access
point with a built-in modem. You can also do what I did until I finally
broke down and got broadband-just use dialup with the laptop itself.
I'd still go ahead and get the access point, though. It'll make sharing
files with your desktop a lot easier. You can also set up that printer
of yours as shared on your desktop computer, and print wirelessly from
your laptop.

As for which brand of laptop to buy, I'd stick with a known one, if for
no other reason than to ensure adequate support and the availability of
accessories, especially spare and replacement batteries. Rest assured
you'll need one soon enough.

And I'd check with your school as to what they'd recommend you get,
especially if you plan on connecting it to their network, or if you're
in college-in which case you *will* have to connect it to their network
to get the most out of having it. There's an outside chance you'll have
to meet certain operating system or software requirements, such as
running Windows XP Professional so you can join a domain or Active
Directory. Also, if you're in college and living on campus, make sure
they're OK with you hooking your wireless router into their network
before you try it. Some institutions don't allow this.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide on.

shareyourknowledge@hotmail.com

Hi Jonathon- Thanks for the thorough reply! It is appreciated. I need a
laptop for school. I have retired from work and am going back to
college to finally get my degree. Right now, just one class. I just
bought a new HP 1020 laser printer, so i think it should work fine with
a laptop. Incidentally, the reason i need to buy a new computer is the
printer requires that i run their cd first before operating the
printer. Since the old cd rom was broken, i bought a new one, but
windows said it was corrupt or missing and wouldn't let me install it.
I was told the only way to fix it would be to re-install Windows, but i
would lose all data. Since my son uses this computer, he didn't want
any of his stuff deleted. So now i can't install the printer or cd rom.
Anyway, a laptop would be handy. I guess i should buy one that plays
dvds since you said most laptops have that feature anyway and would
probably need it for software.
Jonathan L. Parker wrote:
> [...]

> no other reason than to ensure adequate support and the availability of
> accessories, especially spare and replacement batteries. Rest assured
> you'll need one soon enough.
>
> And I'd check with your school as to what they'd recommend you get,
> especially if you plan on connecting it to their network, or if you're
> in college-in which case you *will* have to connect it to their network
> to get the most out of having it. There's an outside chance you'll have
> to meet certain operating system or software requirements, such as
> running Windows XP Professional so you can join a domain or Active
> Directory. Also, if you're in college and living on campus, make sure
> they're OK with you hooking your wireless router into their network
> before you try it. Some institutions don't allow this.
>
> Good luck, and let us know what you decide on.

blewmoon2@yahoo.com

Buy a used Sony machine on eBay. And spend the money you save on
maxing out the memory and a new hard drive.

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I am considering buying a laptop. I already have a desktop, but want a
> laptop for school I don't need all the bells and whistles, just
> something basic. I don't play games or will i use it to play dvds,
> perhaps cds.Any brand or model to consider? I want to get the best i
> can afford for the stuff i need.{Up to $1000.00 if i need to spend that
> much} I already have a printer waiting to hook up to it.I did want to
> know if i could hook up a laptop to the net via my desktop computeror
> do i have to get wireless hookup.? Thanks

Barry Watzman

Get the $549 deal on the Toshiba A105 at Office Depot.

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I am considering buying a laptop. I already have a desktop, but want a
> laptop for school I don't need all the bells and whistles, just
> something basic. I don't play games or will i use it to play dvds,
> perhaps cds.Any brand or model to consider? I want to get the best i
> can afford for the stuff i need.{Up to $1000.00 if i need to spend that
> much} I already have a printer waiting to hook up to it.I did want to
> know if i could hook up a laptop to the net via my desktop computeror
> do i have to get wireless hookup.? Thanks

J. Clarke

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I am considering buying a laptop. I already have a desktop, but want a
> laptop for school I don't need all the bells and whistles, just
> something basic. I don't play games or will i use it to play dvds,
> perhaps cds.Any brand or model to consider? I want to get the best i
> can afford for the stuff i need.{Up to $1000.00 if i need to spend that
> much} I already have a printer waiting to hook up to it.I did want to
> know if i could hook up a laptop to the net via my desktop computeror
> do i have to get wireless hookup.? Thanks

Best Buy generally has some nice Emachines (they're called "Gateway" now)
64-bit models for really attractive prices.

If you have two NICs in your desktop machine you can connect to the net via
Network Connection Sharing, but personally I'd use a hardware
firewall/router.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

felmon davis

On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 17:22:57 -0700, shareyourknowledge wrote:

> Since the old cd rom was broken, i bought a new one, but
> windows said it was corrupt or missing and wouldn't let me install it.
> I was told the only way to fix it would be to re-install Windows, but i
> would lose all data.

you mean you bought a new cd drive and installed it yourself but Windows
gave some error?

can you go back to Windows and say exactly what the error is and what you
do that leads to it?

I very much doubt this problem would require reinstalling Windows. did you
take the computer to a qualified technician who then told you this?

anyway, the important thing is this problem is probably fixable. there is
certainly someone here who can give good advice on it once you describe
the circumstances and text of the error message.

Felmon

Larry

We have 3 Dell laptops (Inspiron 9400, XPS140, and Inspiron e1405). I just
bought the e1405 for my college student daughter for $680 + tax (Intel
1.86ghz Intel solo core, 1 gig RAM, 80 mb HD, bluetooth wireless, CD/DVD
writer and WXGA true life screen. The duo core rocks though (I have this on
my 9400), but needed to keep the price down on the e1405. I love them and
you can find them even cheaper on eBay as new computers from Dell re-sellers
(I bought our Dell desktop in this manner).
I prefer Dells, as I have never had a bad experience with the 6 I have as
personal or business computers. If I didn't buy Dell, I'd probably look at
Toshiba, Lenovo, or HP. Also search www.delloutlet.com for some good deals.
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>I am considering buying a laptop. I already have a desktop, but want a
> laptop for school I don't need all the bells and whistles, just
> something basic. I don't play games or will i use it to play dvds,
> perhaps cds.Any brand or model to consider? I want to get the best i
> can afford for the stuff i need.{Up to $1000.00 if i need to spend that
> much} I already have a printer waiting to hook up to it.I did want to
> know if i could hook up a laptop to the net via my desktop computeror
> do i have to get wireless hookup.? Thanks

shareyourknowledge@hotmail.com

Hi Felmon-I ihooked up the cd rom and it powered up, but when i tried
to install it, Windows said it was corrupt or missing. It had a code of
39. I spent all day researching the net and came up with a possible fix
via Microsoft, but it was all beyond my computer repair capabilities.I
took the cd rom {Lite-on} back to the PC Club to have it tested. The
tech said it was o.k. and thought the hard drive was highjacked. He
recommended having Windows re-installed. I think their might be a way
to fix this without going through all the trouble of reinstalling.If
so, please explain in laymen terms! Hopefully this helps you understand
the problem.Thanks again.
felmon davis wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 17:22:57 -0700, shareyourknowledge wrote:
>
> > Since the old cd rom was broken, i bought a new one, but
> > windows said it was corrupt or missing and wouldn't let me install it.
> > I was told the only way to fix it would be to re-install Windows, but i
> > would lose all data.

> you mean you bought a new cd drive and installed it yourself but Windows
> gave some error?
>
> can you go back to Windows and say exactly what the error is and what you
> do that leads to it?
>
> I very much doubt this problem would require reinstalling Windows. did you
> take the computer to a qualified technician who then told you this?
>
> anyway, the important thing is this problem is probably fixable. there is
> certainly someone here who can give good advice on it once you describe
> the circumstances and text of the error message.
>
> Felmon

shareyourknowledge@hotmail.com

Hello again. Here is the exact message i get. "Windows cannot load the
device driver for this hardware. Driver may be corrupt or missing. Code
39" While checking out the help section, i came across the device
manager. I clicked on the upgrade hardware icon, but it still didn't
allow me to install the cd-rom. Any suggestions on how to fix the
problem? I can't install my printer until i fix the cd-rom!