Are laptop SATA hard drives interchangeable?

M.L.

I recently searched for a replacement for the WD2500BEVS SATA hard
drive on my Toshiba Satellite L305-S5933 laptop and made sure to
Google for "replacement" during my search. I found one on Amazon but
now I'm wondering if I could have gotten by more cheaply if I had
chosen one of their other generic 2.5" 5400 rpm SATA drives as a
replacement. Are laptop hard drives as interchangeable as they are on
desktops? Thanks.

Hugh Newbury

On 11/01/11 12:53, M.L. wrote:

> I recently searched for a replacement for the WD2500BEVS SATA hard
> drive on my Toshiba Satellite L305-S5933 laptop and made sure to
> Google for "replacement" during my search. I found one on Amazon but
> now I'm wondering if I could have gotten by more cheaply if I had
> chosen one of their other generic 2.5" 5400 rpm SATA drives as a
> replacement. Are laptop hard drives as interchangeable as they are on
> desktops? Thanks.

I keep different distros on their own drives. Even Windoze on one. Good
for experimenting. Take the battery out before swapping.

Hugh

BillW50

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
M.L. typed on Tue, 11 Jan 2011 06:53:48 -0600:
> I recently searched for a replacement for the WD2500BEVS SATA hard
> drive on my Toshiba Satellite L305-S5933 laptop and made sure to
> Google for "replacement" during my search. I found one on Amazon but
> now I'm wondering if I could have gotten by more cheaply if I had
> chosen one of their other generic 2.5" 5400 rpm SATA drives as a
> replacement. Are laptop hard drives as interchangeable as they are on
> desktops? Thanks.

Yes you could have. Could have even gotten a 7200 rpm one if you wanted
too. Although some report that 7200 rpm drives get hotter than 5400 rpm
ones. I also find this true, but only the drive itself gets hotter, not
the whole laptop itself. For example this one is a 7200 rpm one and is
running at 124F just doing nothing. And the 5400 rpm one that used to
be in here ran about 114F. So not enough extra heat to worry about
anyway.

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Centrino Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3

Gerard Bok

On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 06:53:48 -0600, M.L. <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I recently searched for a replacement for the WD2500BEVS SATA hard
>drive on my Toshiba Satellite L305-S5933 laptop and made sure to
>Google for "replacement" during my search. I found one on Amazon but
>now I'm wondering if I could have gotten by more cheaply if I had
>chosen one of their other generic 2.5" 5400 rpm SATA drives as a
>replacement. Are laptop hard drives as interchangeable as they are on
>desktops? Thanks.

Often, they are interchangable. Especially between rather cheap
laptops.
But be carefull: some laptops only provide space for low height
drives. so not all models accept all laptop drives.
(There could also be an issue with SATA 150 vs SATA 300 but I
haven't seen any real life problems in that area.)

--
Kind regards,
Gerard Bok

M.L.

>>I recently searched for a replacement for the WD2500BEVS SATA hard
>>drive on my Toshiba Satellite L305-S5933 laptop and made sure to
>>Google for "replacement" during my search. I found one on Amazon but
>>now I'm wondering if I could have gotten by more cheaply if I had
>>chosen one of their other generic 2.5" 5400 rpm SATA drives as a
>>replacement. Are laptop hard drives as interchangeable as they are on
>>desktops? Thanks.

>Often, they are interchangable. Especially between rather cheap
>laptops.
>But be carefull: some laptops only provide space for low height
>drives. so not all models accept all laptop drives.
>(There could also be an issue with SATA 150 vs SATA 300 but I
>haven't seen any real life problems in that area.)

Thanks for all replies. I'm glad to know I have more choices than I
thought. And I'll keep the precautions in mind.