laptop shuts off, except when it's in the freezer

Felipe G. Nievinski

Heat sink already replaced.
Any ideas what else to try?
Thanks,
-FGN.

BillW50

In
news:(E-Mail Removed),
Felipe G. Nievinski wrote:
> Heat sink already replaced.
> Any ideas what else to try?
> Thanks,
> -FGN.

What is the make and model of this laptop? Does it have the video chip
on a card or the motherboard? What kind of CPU does it have?

--
Bill

Paul

Felipe G. Nievinski wrote:
> Heat sink already replaced.
> Any ideas what else to try?
> Thanks,
> -FGN.

Did you use thermal paste when replacing the heatsink ?

*******

This document is to demonstrate someone applying paste to their
processor. Just to give you some idea how it works. It improves
thermal conductivity into the heatsink/heatpipe assembly.
Enthusiasts use paste, because they're always taking their
computer apart, and this stuff is relatively easy to clean
off and easy to re-apply.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appm...pread_v1.1.pdf

Some heatsink assemblies come with thermal tape, which is good for
one application. And tape has about 1/10th the performance of paste.
The advantage of tape, is it never needs maintenance, whereas the
same cannot be said for thermal paste. You may need to disassembly
and reapply paste after a several year period. (I.e. If three years
from now, it's shutting down again, you may need to clean and reapply
some paste.) I haven't changed the paste on mine since installing it
a couple years ago, and thermal performance is still good. With tape,
it wouldn't conduct nearly as well, but the tape can't "ooze out"
of the gap.

If your heatsink assembly did come with thermal tape on it, the tape
can have a protective layer on the outside, which you remove.
I really hate that concept, because on a few occasions, I peeled
off the wrong layer, and ruined the tape. So if your heatsink
assembly came with tape, make sure you're prepared the thing
properly before bolting it down. You may have left the
protective plastic on top of the tape. If you did it right, the
active surface would be sticky or gooey, rather than being "smooth"
like plastic. The plastic cover, is to prevent the material underneath
from picking up dust and dirt before usage.

http://www.torchworld.com.au/catalog...TapeNM2790.jpg

Some heatsinks, like on desktop processors, come with screen printed
material. The heatsink is suspended in a plastic shell, so the gooey
material won't touch anything until you're ready to use it. So that's
how they avoid using a protective cover in that case, by suspending the
heatsink so it won't touch anything.

In this example of a desktop cooler, you can see a gray material that's
been printed or deposited, on the aluminum. It's ready to press down
onto the CPU, with no additional preparation steps.

http://www.build-your-own-computer.n...u-heatsink.jpg

Paul

Felipe G. Nievinski

On Apr 7, 3:26*am, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Felipe G. Nievinski wrote:
> > Heat sink already replaced.
> > Any ideas what else to try?
> > Thanks,
> > -FGN.

> Did you use thermal paste when replacing the heatsink ?
> * *Paul

Good point; yes, I did.
-FGN.

Felipe G. Nievinski

On Apr 7, 3:18*am, "BillW50" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Innews:(E-Mail Removed),
>
> Felipe G. Nievinski wrote:
> > Heat sink already replaced.
> > Any ideas what else to try?
> > Thanks,
> > -FGN.

> What is the make and model of thislaptop? Doesithave the video chip
> on a card or the motherboard? What kind of CPU doesithave?

It's an HP DV69115NR, with an Athlon CPU and an Nvidia GeForce GPU.
I just learned this is an infamous case -- see <http://
www.nvidiasettlement.com/>.
I called HP Support and told them I interested in paying for an out-of-
warranty repair.
They said they won't do it; they're offering a $100 rebate to purchase
a new one.
This is a 4-year old laptop -- too young to die.
I'm going to see what I can do to repair it myself. I'm about to toss
it in the recycle bin.
-FGN.

BillW50

In
news:(E-Mail Removed),
Felipe G. Nievinski wrote:
> On Apr 7, 3:18 am, "BillW50" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Innews:(E-Mail Removed),
>>
>> Felipe G. Nievinski wrote:
>>> Heat sink already replaced.
>>> Any ideas what else to try?
>>> Thanks,
>>> -FGN.

>> What is the make and model of thislaptop? Doesithave the video chip
>> on a card or the motherboard? What kind of CPU doesithave?
>>

> It's an HP DV69115NR, with an Athlon CPU and an Nvidia GeForce GPU.
> I just learned this is an infamous case -- see <http://
> www.nvidiasettlement.com/>.
> I called HP Support and told them I interested in paying for an
> out-of- warranty repair.
> They said they won't do it; they're offering a $100 rebate to purchase
> a new one.
> This is a 4-year old laptop -- too young to die.
> I'm going to see what I can do to repair it myself. I'm about to toss
> it in the recycle bin.
> -FGN.

Yes that is exactly what my first guess was. Many people have gotten
them working again for two weeks to about 4 months by stripping it down
to the motherboard and baking it in an oven for 10 minutes at 400
degrees F. Although I don't think this is too much help really. As it is
only going to happen again anyway. ;-(

--
Bill

Allen Drake

On Sat, 7 Apr 2012 14:37:48 -0700 (PDT), "Felipe G. Nievinski"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Apr 7, 3:26*am, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Felipe G. Nievinski wrote:
>> > Heat sink already replaced.
>> > Any ideas what else to try?
>> > Thanks,
>> > -FGN.

>> Did you use thermal paste when replacing the heatsink ?
>> * *Paul

>Good point; yes, I did.
>-FGN.

Have you cleaned fan(s)? I have seen them get pretty dirty. One might
think that caked in link it a filter. Sometimes air will not even
clean it out.

the wharf rat

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Felipe G. Nievinski <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Heat sink already replaced.
>Any ideas what else to try?
>Thanks,

Relocate to Greenland?

Ryan P.

On 4/7/2012 5:12 PM, BillW50 wrote:

> Yes that is exactly what my first guess was. Many people have gotten
> them working again for two weeks to about 4 months by stripping it down
> to the motherboard and baking it in an oven for 10 minutes at 400
> degrees F. Although I don't think this is too much help really. As it is
> only going to happen again anyway. ;-(

It is a decent stopgap, though. Its been 6 months since my last bake,
and my DV6000 is still going strong.

I've also gotten myself a 12-cell battery, so that lifts the back-end
up and increases circulation.

Ryan P.

On 4/7/2012 4:37 PM, Felipe G. Nievinski wrote:
> On Apr 7, 3:26 am, Paul<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Felipe G. Nievinski wrote:
>>> Heat sink already replaced.
>>> Any ideas what else to try?
>>> Thanks,
>>> -FGN.

>> Did you use thermal paste when replacing the heatsink ?
>> Paul

> Good point; yes, I did.
> -FGN.

You'll want to check the area where the copper is supposed to make
contact with the GPU. HP uses a thermal pad rather than thermal paste
because there is such a large gap.

If you replaced the heat sink and just used thermal paste over the GPU,
you most likely aren't getting any contact between the chip and the
sink. You'll have to either solder a piece of copper onto the heat
sink, or get a replacement thermal pad.