large drive with 503+

nobody@junk.min.net

Can hard drives larger than 8.4 gig be used with an FIC VA503+?

Alan

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.14

student

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Can hard drives larger than 8.4 gig <<< be used with >>> an FIC VA503+?
>

> Alan

I've been running a 20GB drive off a Promise Ultra100 pci controller card
for the past couple of years. Works like a champ. Also, there was
discussion here
about running a 133Mps burst rate drive about a week ago. If you've been
using 33Mps burst rate drives, you are in for a pleasant surpise if you
upgrade to 133Mps (or even 100Mps).

Kyle

Yes, but you will need the most recent je3333 BIOS (I think this is
the correct number). This BIOS supports drives up to 127Gig, I
believe. I use a 20 Gig drive on my 503+ using the onboard IDE
interfaces.

--
Best regards,
Kyle
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:426c51ae$1$nynaurff$(E-Mail Removed) ganews.com...
| Can hard drives larger than 8.4 gig be used with an FIC VA503+?

nobody@junk.min.net

In <Bw3be.16247$(E-Mail Removed)>, on 04/25/05
at 10:21 AM, student <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>> Can hard drives larger than 8.4 gig <<< be used with >>> an FIC VA503+?
>>

> I've been running a 20GB drive off a Promise Ultra100 pci controller
>card for the past couple of years. Works like a champ. Also, there was
>discussion here

So a second party controller is required?

>about running a 133Mps burst rate drive about a week ago. If you've been
>using 33Mps burst rate drives, you are in for a pleasant surpise if you
>upgrade to 133Mps (or even 100Mps).

The situation is that I have a 503+, and old case, and some other
hardware, and I'm thinking of putting together a second computer and
networking with the one I'm using. I don't think small drives are
available now, save for used, so I wanted to check if large drives work by
asking my question above.

Thanks for the replies, to you and everyone who answers.

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> In <Bw3be.16247$(E-Mail Removed)>, on 04/25/05
> at 10:21 AM, student <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>

>>>Can hard drives larger than 8.4 gig <<< be used with >>> an FIC VA503+?
>>>

>> I've been running a 20GB drive off a Promise Ultra100 pci controller
>>card for the past couple of years. Works like a champ. Also, there was
>>discussion here

> So a second party controller is required?
>

>>about running a 133Mps burst rate drive about a week ago. If you've been
>>using 33Mps burst rate drives, you are in for a pleasant surpise if you
>>upgrade to 133Mps (or even 100Mps).

> The situation is that I have a 503+, and old case, and some other
> hardware, and I'm thinking of putting together a second computer and
> networking with the one I'm using. I don't think small drives are
> available now, save for used, so I wanted to check if large drives work by
> asking my question above.
>
> Thanks for the replies, to you and everyone who answers.
>

> Alan

As Kyle rightly points out, you can connect 33Mhz max burst rate
hard drives directly to the mobo, but almost any drive you buy today
is rated at 100-133Mhz max burst rate, so it would be a huge waste to
run it at 33Mhz m.b.r, especially when you can pick up a pci ide
controller board that will handle 133Mhz for about $15. The key point,
as Kyle said, is that you have to upgrade the BIOS. I don't know if all
the bits and pieces you need to do that are still available on the FICA
website but if not I am sure someone here will be happy to supply you
with them.

Bill

Robert Akins

Upgrading your BIOS to JE4333 will give you up to 136GB hard drives with
your onboard VIA ATA33 controller.
Robert
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:426d6857$1$nynaurff$(E-Mail Removed) ganews.com...
> In <Bw3be.16247$(E-Mail Removed)>, on 04/25/05
> at 10:21 AM, student <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>>> Can hard drives larger than 8.4 gig <<< be used with >>> an FIC VA503+?
>>>

>> I've been running a 20GB drive off a Promise Ultra100 pci controller
>>card for the past couple of years. Works like a champ. Also, there was
>>discussion here

> So a second party controller is required?
>
>>about running a 133Mps burst rate drive about a week ago. If you've been
>>using 33Mps burst rate drives, you are in for a pleasant surpise if you
>>upgrade to 133Mps (or even 100Mps).

> The situation is that I have a 503+, and old case, and some other
> hardware, and I'm thinking of putting together a second computer and
> networking with the one I'm using. I don't think small drives are
> available now, save for used, so I wanted to check if large drives work by
> asking my question above.
>
> Thanks for the replies, to you and everyone who answers.
>

> Alan
>
> --

> ** Please use address alanh77[at]comcast.net to reply via e-mail. **
>
> Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.14
>
> BBS - The Nerve Center Telnet FidoNet 261/1000 tncbbs.no-ip.com

KT7-RAID large drive support?? Angelfood MacSpade Abit 1 01-24-2005 10:46 PM
bx6 2.0 + large hard drive? Shoe Hopper Abit 1 01-18-2005 04:19 AM
VP6 very large hard drive Rodger Abit 10 05-14-2004 12:19 PM
Abit BX 133 raid board can I put on a large hard drive? Geneve Abit 3 02-13-2004 12:53 PM
VP6 and large Maxtor drive problem Doug Farrell Abit 3 11-05-2003 04:25 PM