Laserjet 3 & 832C printer problems

KenK

I'm getting a 'paper jam' error from an LJ3. No paper to be found. As
manual mentions, tried cleaning it as best I could.

Printer had been sitting unused for years but I needed it when usual
printer went belly up. (HP 832C runs, usually feeding a sheet of paper.
Middle light/button blinks, shuts off printer when pressed. Does this
with computer on or off and/or printer cable removed.) Bought Deskjet
1000 to replace 832C but haven't taken time and effort to install it yet.
(Getting much too old and shakey for this computer maintenance stuff.)

This morning tried blowing out the lj3 with canned air. Saw some dust go
but didn't help. Still tells me 'paper jam' when I try a test print. 832
is worse. Tried to remove cartridges and blow out that area but now can't
even access carts. Printer won't free up cart carrier with lid opened as
it used to. Terminal, I'm afraid.

Any guesses or tips for either?

No success with private-owner local computer repair that I contacted.
Requested C drive replacement with purchased new drive, new printer
install and LJ3 repair. Emailed several. One will only discuss on the
phone, others didn't bother to reply. <sigh>

I'm afraid I will have to get brave and attempt to install the new
printer. I have no faith in my computer skills anymore.

TIA

--
"Experience is something you don't get until
just after you need it." Steven Wright

Allodoxaphobia

On 12 May 2012 16:51:14 GMT, KenK wrote:
> I'm getting a 'paper jam' error from an LJ3. No paper to be found. As
> manual mentions, tried cleaning it as best I could.
>
> Printer had been sitting unused for years but I needed it when usual
> printer went belly up.
>
> This morning tried blowing out the lj3 with canned air. Saw some dust go
> but didn't help. Still tells me 'paper jam' when I try a test print.
>
> Any guesses or tips for either?
>
> No success with private-owner local computer repair that I contacted.

He probably has too many of his teeth still -- and all of his hair. :-)
(credit: Click & Clack - The Car Guys)

I have an HP-LJ III here that's been in service since June, 1990 ($1,800).
The only maintenance in 22 years has been the replacement of the fuser.

The only paper jams I've seen (when it was not obviously a whole sheet
askew) have been due to wee little paper pieces stuck in the paper path
caused by 'aggressive' removal of jammed sheets and I did not extract all
the paper bits.

I know you'll laugh, but can you remember why it was put aside and has
been "... sitting unused for years"? Maybe it was retired back then
because of this same fault, and no one felt the urge to search out a
possible bad IR emitter/photo cell somewhere in the paper path.

Have you poked around on fixyourownprinter.com?

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/sea...er?q=HP+LJ+III

Not much help, I know. But I wish you success.
Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux

KenK

Allodoxaphobia <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) ig.com:

> On 12 May 2012 16:51:14 GMT, KenK wrote:
>> I'm getting a 'paper jam' error from an LJ3. No paper to be found. As
>> manual mentions, tried cleaning it as best I could.
>>
>> Printer had been sitting unused for years but I needed it when usual
>> printer went belly up.
>>
>> This morning tried blowing out the lj3 with canned air. Saw some dust
>> go but didn't help. Still tells me 'paper jam' when I try a test
>> print.
>>
>> Any guesses or tips for either?
>>
>> No success with private-owner local computer repair that I contacted.

> He probably has too many of his teeth still -- and all of his hair.
> :-) (credit: Click & Clack - The Car Guys)
>
> I have an HP-LJ III here that's been in service since June, 1990
> ($1,800). The only maintenance in 22 years has been the replacement of
> the fuser.

I previously only had to fix mine once. Can't remember what but it was
minor. That's why I liked it - so reliable!

> The only paper jams I've seen (when it was not obviously a whole sheet
> askew) have been due to wee little paper pieces stuck in the paper
> path caused by 'aggressive' removal of jammed sheets and I did not
> extract all the paper bits.

I will look again. Perhaps the paper is so small as not to be noticable.

> I know you'll laugh, but can you remember why it was put aside and has
> been "... sitting unused for years"? Maybe it was retired back then
> because of this same fault, and no one felt the urge to search out a
> possible bad IR emitter/photo cell somewhere in the paper path.

Nope. It is connected to my backup computer system and that computer only
gets turned on a few minutes a day so I can back up current data files to
it - just in case. (It used to be my every-day system.) Just haven't
needed or used the printer since my current every-day system has (had) a
separate printer (the 832C). The LJ was working fine the last time I used
it.

> Have you poked around on fixyourownprinter.com?
>
> http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/sea...er?q=HP+LJ+III

I'll try that soon, probably tomorrow. Wasn't aware of it. Thanks.

> Not much help, I know. But I wish you success.
> Jonesy

Ken

--
"Experience is something you don't get until
just after you need it." Steven Wright

can memory from laserjet 4 be used in laserjet 4 plus ? yomgui HP 2 05-13-2006 10:30 PM
DeskJet 832c flakeout Dan Kennedy HP 1 07-09-2005 04:23 AM
832C cycles paper when PC boots John Oliver HP 0 03-02-2005 03:18 AM
Which is better - Laserjet 4 or the Laserjet 5? Stoic HP 5 02-10-2004 11:22 PM
832c desjet color printing problem Mike HP 2 08-23-2003 12:24 AM