Latest PCIe x 16 2.0 video cards on ASUS A8N-E motherboard?

NoName

I have a PC I built some years ago with an ASUS A8N-E motherboard.
The motherboard has slots for PCI Express x 16 and PCI Express x 4,
but there is no mention in the manual of supporting the PCIe 2.0
standard I now see for the new cards.

Question: Will the new cards physicall fit in the slots on the ASUS
board? Will the new cards work, even if the board does not support
the 2.0 standard? Will they work acceptably? I am not doing gaming,
just stanard word processing, web browsing, and I do watch DVDs on my
PC.

I need the new card to support a new wide screen monitor with analog
input (my old monitor was digital only).

Thanks in advance for info.

Paul

NoName wrote:
> I have a PC I built some years ago with an ASUS A8N-E motherboard.
> The motherboard has slots for PCI Express x 16 and PCI Express x 4,
> but there is no mention in the manual of supporting the PCIe 2.0
> standard I now see for the new cards.
>
> Question: Will the new cards physicall fit in the slots on the ASUS
> board? Will the new cards work, even if the board does not support
> the 2.0 standard? Will they work acceptably? I am not doing gaming,
> just stanard word processing, web browsing, and I do watch DVDs on my
> PC.
>
> I need the new card to support a new wide screen monitor with analog
> input (my old monitor was digital only).
>
> Thanks in advance for info.

You can try data mining here, and see if there are any complaints
about video cards not working. This is just about the worst place
you can try data mining - slow server, plus no good search capability
either internally or externally. It means, you just have to read the
stinking posts...

http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx...Language=en-us

There is a claim here, the slot is PCI Express 1.0a.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...Language=en-us

Back in the day, there were issues with one of the first 2.0 video cards.
That was resolved in some cases, by flash upgrading the video card. I'm not
really sure whether this issue has been resolved with later generations and
is no longer an issue. But at least you can find examples, where 8800GT
didn't work with some things.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...-1-0-1-0a.html

It might have had something to do, with negotiating the operating mode. And
the first 2.0 cards, may not have successfully geared down to 1.0. The
flash upgrade, was to "jam" them into a non 2.0 mode. Perhaps newer
video cards, with those issues known, would be able to handle anything
they run into.

Paul

Tazz

On 23/07/2011 1:43 AM, NoName wrote:
> I have a PC I built some years ago with an ASUS A8N-E motherboard.
> The motherboard has slots for PCI Express x 16 and PCI Express x 4,
> but there is no mention in the manual of supporting the PCIe 2.0
> standard I now see for the new cards.
>
> Question: Will the new cards physicall fit in the slots on the ASUS
> board? Will the new cards work, even if the board does not support
> the 2.0 standard? Will they work acceptably? I am not doing gaming,
> just stanard word processing, web browsing, and I do watch DVDs on my
> PC.
>
> I need the new card to support a new wide screen monitor with analog
> input (my old monitor was digital only).
>
> Thanks in advance for info.

I have a GeForce GT 240 videocard that's a x16 v2 and it's running on an
old Biostar P4M90-M4 motherboard that only supports x16 v1.1 The GT 240
is only running at x16 v1.1

The card fit fine, it's just running at the fastest setting that the
motherboard can support.

One thing to watch out for, some cards need an extra power connector to
help power the card. The GT 240 DON'T need an extra power connector but
it needs (according to the Nvidia website) at least a 350 watt power
supply. So just a heads up to double check on this if you were not aware.

NoName

Thanks, guys. OP

Latest PCIe x 16 2.0 video cards on ASUS A8N-E motherboard? NoName Asus 2 07-23-2011 11:25 PM
x800 pcie x850 pcie jb ATI 1 03-26-2006 07:31 PM
Warranty proposal: replace PCIe 6600GT with a PCIe 6800. YES or NO? Pascal Lemberge Nvidia 8 11-05-2005 08:07 PM
GA-8I945P Dual Graphic: PCIe x4 in 2nd PCIe x16? Nick Gigabyte 0 06-20-2005 07:30 AM
6600gt PCIe or X700Pro PCIe? Rockin Ronnie Nvidia 1 11-24-2004 08:33 PM