Latitude D600: left mouse button not working

vbDavidC

My left mouse (track pad and stickpad) buttons stopped working today.
I had to connect a USB mouse to use the computer. I cannot click on
anything.

I booted to a Linux live CD and it did not work there either so I know
it is not my XP install.

It seemed to start because I was having a problem with the LEDs above
the keyboard for caps lock, num lock, and system power. For some
reason they do not light up properly unless I press on the little
board where the LEDs reside. I was pressing down on that part of the
computer (LED board) when the buttons stopped working.

I was able to switch the Click function to my right mouse button so I
guess I don't need the external mouse. I also enabled the touchpad
for tapping which I had turned off a long time ago because I did not
like that feature but it seems to work OK right now.

Any suggestions.

Thanks, David

S.Lewis

"vbDavidC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My left mouse (track pad and stickpad) buttons stopped working today.
> I had to connect a USB mouse to use the computer. I cannot click on
> anything.
>
> I booted to a Linux live CD and it did not work there either so I know
> it is not my XP install.
>
> It seemed to start because I was having a problem with the LEDs above
> the keyboard for caps lock, num lock, and system power. For some
> reason they do not light up properly unless I press on the little
> board where the LEDs reside. I was pressing down on that part of the
> computer (LED board) when the buttons stopped working.
>
> I was able to switch the Click function to my right mouse button so I
> guess I don't need the external mouse. I also enabled the touchpad
> for tapping which I had turned off a long time ago because I did not
> like that feature but it seems to work OK right now.
>
> Any suggestions.
>
> Thanks, David

Replace the palmrest assembly which (if complete) will come with the
touchpad assy included.

Ben Myers

vbDavidC wrote:
> My left mouse (track pad and stickpad) buttons stopped working today.
> I had to connect a USB mouse to use the computer. I cannot click on
> anything.
>
> I booted to a Linux live CD and it did not work there either so I know
> it is not my XP install.
>
> It seemed to start because I was having a problem with the LEDs above
> the keyboard for caps lock, num lock, and system power. For some
> reason they do not light up properly unless I press on the little
> board where the LEDs reside. I was pressing down on that part of the
> computer (LED board) when the buttons stopped working.
>
> I was able to switch the Click function to my right mouse button so I
> guess I don't need the external mouse. I also enabled the touchpad
> for tapping which I had turned off a long time ago because I did not
> like that feature but it seems to work OK right now.
>
> Any suggestions.
>
> Thanks, David

For these sorts of problems (LEDs too), it is worthwhile to disassemble
to D600 partially and see if any connections worked loose. See the Dell
web site for the complete service manual. The D600 is fairly easy to
disassemble. All you need are small flat-bladed and Philips head
screwdrivers... Ben Myers

vbDavidC

Ben, Thanks your suggestions.

I have taken notebook apart several and very familiar with
disassembling these D600.

For some reason I have seen this problem in several notebooks. I've
purchased several of these used recently over Craigslist. 2 for
friends and 1 for myself. I thought my problem was maybe because I
had reassembled the unit improperly although that is somewhat hard to
do. However, I got a different unit last week with the same problem.

Looking at the pieces it seems fairly straightforward.

On Mar 30, 5:06*am, Ben Myers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> vbDavidC wrote:
> > My left mouse (track pad and stickpad) buttons stopped working today.
> > I had to connect a USB mouse to use the computer. *I cannot click on
> > anything.

> > I booted to a Linux live CD and it did not work there either so I know
> > it is not my XP install.

> > It seemed to start because I was having a problem with the LEDs above
> > the keyboard for caps lock, num lock, and system power. *For some
> > reason they do not light up properly unless I press on the little
> > board where the LEDs reside. *I was pressing down on that part of the
> > computer (LED board) when the buttons stopped working.

> > I was able to switch the Click function to my right mouse button so I
> > guess I don't need the external mouse. *I also enabled the touchpad
> > for tapping which I had turned off a long time ago because I did not
> > like that feature but it seems to work OK right now.

> > Any suggestions.

> > Thanks, David

> For these sorts of problems (LEDs too), it is worthwhile to disassemble
> to D600 partially and see if any connections worked loose. *See the Dell
> web site for the complete service manual. *The D600 is fairly easy to
> disassemble. *All you need are small flat-bladed and Philips head
> screwdrivers... Ben Myers

IBM T41 Left Mouse Button broken... Maya IBM Thinkpad 0 10-06-2006 12:37 AM
left mouse-button problem olafmol Acer 2 08-12-2006 03:38 PM
Touchpad Can Be Used As Left Mouse Button On Laptop stevenqrdh@gmail.com Laptops 2 08-08-2006 06:15 AM
Touchpad Can Be Used As Left Mouse Button On Laptop stevenqrdh@gmail.com Laptops 1 07-25-2006 01:17 PM
Microsoft Wireless Wheel Mouse - The left click button is not working Hannah Hardware 2 11-06-2003 11:27 PM