Latop Cooling Options

winderjj

Hi All,

Question, My new latop (Inspiron 8500) runs pretty hot. THis is by
far my biggest issue with the computer. So I have seen some posts
talk about cooling pads? I was thinking about getting one. I found
one that seems to be more like a mini stand for the computer than a
pad. It essentially just raises the computer so it will have better
ventilation.

What are my options? Could somebody give me a reccomendation. I want
to purchase something pretty soon that will cool down the maching a
little.

any help would be great.

thanks

marlinspike

Well, unless you want an active solution with fans that either drain your
battery or (I am told these exist though I never found one) one with an ac
cord you have to plug in, there isn't much. There is a heat pipe solution
(sold at www.buyextras.com as well as other store - no relation, that's just
where I got mine) but to make that really work you need to get a dremel or
something and shave down anything that keeps your laptop permanently raised.
If the laptop is suspended above it, it will cool it a tiny bit, but if it's
touching it the laptop will be cooled a lot (i took a CD out of my laptop
that had been in use for a few hours, i.e. very hot, and it became cold (not
cool, cold) after about 8 seconds on the heat pipe pad. The ones that just
raise it to nothing. The heat pipe will at least raise it, and then cool it
at least a little better.
Richard
"winderjj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> Hi All,
>
> Question, My new latop (Inspiron 8500) runs pretty hot. THis is by
> far my biggest issue with the computer. So I have seen some posts
> talk about cooling pads? I was thinking about getting one. I found
> one that seems to be more like a mini stand for the computer than a
> pad. It essentially just raises the computer so it will have better
> ventilation.
>
> What are my options? Could somebody give me a reccomendation. I want
> to purchase something pretty soon that will cool down the maching a
> little.
>
> any help would be great.
>
> thanks

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=A9=BF=A9=AC?=

marlinspike wrote:
> Well, unless you want an active solution with fans that either drain your
> battery or (I am told these exist though I never found one) one with an ac
> cord you have to plug in, there isn't much. There is a heat pipe solution
> (sold at www.buyextras.com as well as other store - no relation, that's just
> where I got mine) but to make that really work you need to get a dremel or
> something and shave down anything that keeps your laptop permanently raised.
> If the laptop is suspended above it, it will cool it a tiny bit, but if it's
> touching it the laptop will be cooled a lot (i took a CD out of my laptop
> that had been in use for a few hours, i.e. very hot, and it became cold (not
> cool, cold) after about 8 seconds on the heat pipe pad. The ones that just
> raise it to nothing. The heat pipe will at least raise it, and then cool it
> at least a little better.
> Richard
> "winderjj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
>
>>Hi All,
>>
>>Question, My new latop (Inspiron 8500) runs pretty hot. THis is by
>>far my biggest issue with the computer. So I have seen some posts
>>talk about cooling pads? I was thinking about getting one. I found
>>one that seems to be more like a mini stand for the computer than a
>>pad. It essentially just raises the computer so it will have better
>>ventilation.
>>
>>What are my options? Could somebody give me a reccomendation. I want
>>to purchase something pretty soon that will cool down the maching a
>>little.
>>
>>any help would be great.
>>
>>thanks

I use a wooden chopping board most of the time, to protect my legs. It's
currently very hot here in the UK (mid 80's) so I'm also using a USB
powered pad that has three fans keeping the air moving under the laptop.
Very affective it is too, just a bit noisy and a real battery killer...
--

I found it hard, it was hard to find, oh well, whatever, nevermind...

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/s.morrish

Yahoo ID pendragon_kernow

> I use a wooden chopping board most of the time, to protect my legs. It's
> currently very hot here in the UK (mid 80's) so I'm also using a USB
> powered pad that has three fans keeping the air moving under the laptop.

You call that very hot?? It is 110 in texas the last couple of days! I
would love it to be only mid 80s.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=A9=BF=A9=AC?=

r wrote:
>>I use a wooden chopping board most of the time, to protect my legs. It's
>>currently very hot here in the UK (mid 80's) so I'm also using a USB
>>powered pad that has three fans keeping the air moving under the laptop.

> You call that very hot?? It is 110 in texas the last couple of days! I
> would love it to be only mid 80s.

Yea but this is England, you know the place, rain... cold and wet for
nine months a year, then it's time for winter and it's freezing, and wet...

And as for Texas that at the same latitude as the Sahara, no **** it's
hot...