Motherboard Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

LCD screens and polarization

 
 
Michelle Steiner
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-23-2012, 01:56 AM
You may recall that about two months ago I mentioned that my iPad's screen
is polarized so that when I look at it while wearing my polarized
sunglasses, the screen is blanked when held vertically.

I did a bit of experimentation at the Apple Store. My iMac (mid 2006
model) blanks when I turn my head sideways, as does the new 15" (non
retina) MBP. The retina MBP is also polarized, but at a 45° angle. (So is
the LCD display on my Prius.) My iPod Nano (current generation) is
polarized when tilted about 15° from having the controls and connectors to
the sides.

My iPhone, though, merely shows color artifacts regardless of orientation.

I didn't get around to testing any other iPods, the 13" MBP, any MBA, nor
the 30" stand-alone monitor.

--
Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as
People's Democratic Republic is to Democracy.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Don Bruder
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-23-2012, 04:10 AM
In article <(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
Michelle Steiner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> You may recall that about two months ago I mentioned that my iPad's screen
> is polarized so that when I look at it while wearing my polarized
> sunglasses, the screen is blanked when held vertically.


*EVERY* LCD in existence is polarized. It's a side-effect of how they
function. The only question is which way you have to turn each one to
get it to "go blank" or otherwise distort while wearing your particular
pair of polarized shades.

--
Email shown is deceased. If you would like to contact me by email, please
post something that makes it obvious in this or another group you see me
posting in with a "how to contact you" address, and I'll get back to you.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Michelle Steiner
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-23-2012, 04:39 AM
In article <js3fi8$f7o$(E-Mail Removed)>, Don Bruder <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> > You may recall that about two months ago I mentioned that my iPad's screen
> > is polarized so that when I look at it while wearing my polarized
> > sunglasses, the screen is blanked when held vertically.

>
> *EVERY* LCD in existence is polarized. It's a side-effect of how they
> function. The only question is which way you have to turn each one to
> get it to "go blank" or otherwise distort while wearing your particular
> pair of polarized shades.


Well, in the case of the iPhone, it doesn't go blank regardless of which
way you turn it. I was pointing that out as well as the orientations to
blank the screens of the other devices I mentioned. I was in no way
suggesting that those were the only LCD devices that are polarized.

--
Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as
People's Democratic Republic is to Democracy.
 
Reply With Quote
 
JF Mezei
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-23-2012, 06:48 AM
Michelle Steiner wrote:

> Well, in the case of the iPhone, it doesn't go blank regardless of which
> way you turn it.


With my polarizing sunglasses, I can see the iphone 4 partially going
blank at a certain angle. But not all of the screen is affected.

Would be interesting to find out why a retina display does not seem
polarised in any one direction as other LCD displays are.

Perhaps the density of pixel is such that the light is already polarised
as it passes through the dense pixels and there is no need for polarised
glass above it.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Andreas Rutishauser
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-23-2012, 07:12 AM
Salut Michelle

In article <(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
Michelle Steiner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I didn't get around to testing any other iPods, the 13" MBP, any MBA, nor
> the 30" stand-alone monitor.


Apple sells a 30" monitor where you live? They seem to have shrinked it
to 27" in swiss Apple Stores.

Cheers
Andreas

--
MacAndreas Rutishauser, <http://www.MacAndreas.ch>
EDV-Dienstleistungen, Hard- und Software, Internet und Netzwerk
Beratung, Unterstuetzung und Schulung
<(E-Mail Removed)>, Fon: 044 / 721 36 47
 
Reply With Quote
 
Michelle Steiner
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-23-2012, 01:44 PM
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Andreas Rutishauser <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > I didn't get around to testing any other iPods, the 13" MBP, any MBA,
> > nor the 30" stand-alone monitor.

>
> Apple sells a 30" monitor where you live? They seem to have shrinked it
> to 27" in swiss Apple Stores.


I didn't test the monitor, so I didn't realize that the new monitors were
only 27" and not the 30" of a former model.

--
Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as
People's Democratic Republic is to Democracy.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Michelle Steiner
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-23-2012, 01:45 PM
In article <4fe566d7$0$49839$c3e8da3$(E-Mail Removed) om>,
JF Mezei <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Well, in the case of the iPhone, it doesn't go blank regardless of
> > which way you turn it.

>
> With my polarizing sunglasses, I can see the iphone 4 partially going
> blank at a certain angle. But not all of the screen is affected.
>
> Would be interesting to find out why a retina display does not seem
> polarised in any one direction as other LCD displays are.


But the retina displays on the iPad and the MBP are unidirectionally
polarized.

--
Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as
People's Democratic Republic is to Democracy.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Fred Moore
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-23-2012, 03:19 PM
In article <(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
Michelle Steiner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <js3fi8$f7o$(E-Mail Removed)>, Don Bruder <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> > > You may recall that about two months ago I mentioned that my iPad's
> > > screen
> > > is polarized so that when I look at it while wearing my polarized
> > > sunglasses, the screen is blanked when held vertically.

> >
> > *EVERY* LCD in existence is polarized. It's a side-effect of how they
> > function. The only question is which way you have to turn each one to
> > get it to "go blank" or otherwise distort while wearing your particular
> > pair of polarized shades.

>
> Well, in the case of the iPhone, it doesn't go blank regardless of which
> way you turn it. I was pointing that out as well as the orientations to
> blank the screens of the other devices I mentioned. I was in no way
> suggesting that those were the only LCD devices that are polarized.


Polarized sunglasses are vertically polarized because the reflected
'glare' from roadways and other objects tends to be mostly horizontally
polarized. Perhaps with your iPhone retina display Apple is somehow
using 'circular' polarization
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_polarization> a much more
complicated phenomenon, but that's beyond the scope of my physic course
recollection.

--
Republicans blaming Obama for the national debt are like an arsonist
blaming the fire department for the fire.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Michelle Steiner
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-23-2012, 03:29 PM
In article <(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
Fred Moore <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Polarized sunglasses are vertically polarized because the reflected
> 'glare' from roadways and other objects tends to be mostly horizontally
> polarized. Perhaps with your iPhone retina display Apple is somehow
> using 'circular' polarization


That is a possibility. Next time I see a 3D movie, I'll check it out.

--
Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as
People's Democratic Republic is to Democracy.
 
Reply With Quote
 
George Kerby
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-23-2012, 08:01 PM



On 6/23/12 10:19 AM, in article
(E-Mail Removed)-september.org, "Fred Moore"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
> Michelle Steiner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> In article <js3fi8$f7o$(E-Mail Removed)>, Don Bruder <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>> You may recall that about two months ago I mentioned that my iPad's
>>>> screen
>>>> is polarized so that when I look at it while wearing my polarized
>>>> sunglasses, the screen is blanked when held vertically.
>>>
>>> *EVERY* LCD in existence is polarized. It's a side-effect of how they
>>> function. The only question is which way you have to turn each one to
>>> get it to "go blank" or otherwise distort while wearing your particular
>>> pair of polarized shades.

>>
>> Well, in the case of the iPhone, it doesn't go blank regardless of which
>> way you turn it. I was pointing that out as well as the orientations to
>> blank the screens of the other devices I mentioned. I was in no way
>> suggesting that those were the only LCD devices that are polarized.

>
> Polarized sunglasses are vertically polarized because the reflected
> 'glare' from roadways and other objects tends to be mostly horizontally
> polarized. Perhaps with your iPhone retina display Apple is somehow
> using 'circular' polarization
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_polarization> a much more
> complicated phenomenon, but that's beyond the scope of my physic course
> recollection.


Circular polarization is the only useful kind when metering light through a
camera internally, like a DSLR. It doesn't skew the reading like linear
does.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do you clean LCD screens ricardo Dell 37 01-23-2005 05:52 PM
Re:How do you clean LCD screens--DELL SUPPORT INFO Craig Dell 0 01-21-2005 03:30 PM
LCD inverters for I5000 different screens Mike Marquis Dell 2 10-20-2004 10:53 PM
ATI 7500 or 9000 - issues with video on LCD and external screens Steve Laptops 3 05-18-2004 03:29 AM
Mixing PC, Apple and Powerbook 2300c LCD screens.... John Weidenfeller Hardware 2 11-20-2003 03:32 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:31 PM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment