What I learned fixing printheads & refilling ink on HP Officejet d145 printer

HP d145 Printer

What I learned fixing printheads & refilling ink on HP Officejet d145
printer is going to go into this thread.

I broke a lot, spilled a lot, cursed a lot, and tried a lot ..... and I
just want you to benefit from what I learned so I'll try to put it in this
thread.

Please feel free to interject what you've learned. The hope is that this
thread helps anyone who has an HP officejet d145 printer who wishes to
refill seemingly expired ink tanks and resurrect seemingly dead printheads.

I'll post pictures and describe the process and reference URLs on the
Internet in subsequent postings. Stay tuned.

HP d145 Printer

On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 02:31:46 -0700, HP d145 Printer wrote:

> What I learned fixing printheads & refilling ink on HP Officejet d145
> printer is going to go into this thread.

First, let's reference some URLs on the topic because nobody starts from
scratch - even with HP printers where HP doesn't want you to know what we
know now - but we had to break things to learn all of this...

1. This site almost shows how to take apart the HP #14 printheads for
repair & refill (I'll show more complete steps later) ...
http://img523.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=bent9si.jpg

2. Here is the section of a long thread describing the process to take
apart the printheads to repair them (remember, an empty printhead will burn
out so you MUST keep them full to cool the heating elements)!
http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/for...kjet/27744#178

3. And, here is the relevant description (verbatim):
Re: THE FIRST GUIDE IN TAKING BACK YOUR HP OFFICEJ
by vincentg (6/23/06 5:32 AM)
Printhead disassembly:
Pull the round part that is on a rail.
It is pretty hard to pull out
(I used a flat screwdriver to set it loose).
Don't worry too much about breaking something;
from my experience, this part isn't fragile.
Next, using a tiny flat screwdriver, lift the 3 clips that are holding the
top of the printhead on the frame.
These look a little more fragile, so don't pull too hard.
When the top is open, be very careful not to lose the rubber seal
(especially if you're doing this above a sink).
Wash all the parts of the printhead in warm water (plunge everything in
water).
When it looks clean, fill 3/4 of the printhead with ink.
Before closing the lid, make sure the rubber seal is well in place.
The printhead should leak from the bottom for a few minutes.
That is normal.
If it leaks from the top, it means the rubber seal isn't properly set:
you should open the printhead put the rubber seal in the right place
(on the lid part of the printhead) and close it again.

When the printhead looks clean, put it back in the printer.
In my case, the printhead didn't work right away.
At first, it wouldn't print at all.
After a few days, i tried printing again, and it worked perfectly.

So don't despair if it doesn't work right away.
Just wait for 2-3 days.

The only thing left to do now is to choose between scrubbing your hands
with windex or spend the next few days answering questions from curious
coworkers..
I chose windex, but after due considerations, i'm not sure it was worth the
smell...

HP d145 Printer

On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 02:43:45 -0700, HP d145 Printer wrote:
http://land.netonecom.net/tlp/ref/le...hpPrinters.php

This URL points to a reasonably good summary of how the general populace
might feel when confronted with a perfectly good ink sponge that's
"expired" prematurely ... or when encountering a printhead that is easy to
fix.

Particularly, it contains pictures of how to reset the CMOS date so that
the onerous HP ink tank expiration dates are no longer a problem.

Here's the relevant cut and paste, verbatim:
I opened the clam-like cartridge access to my printer (d125xi),
and looked for a battery. At first I didn't see it, but I was
determined. Finally, I saw it. On the left inside, near the
front of the machine, was a small button-type battery, held
in place by a spring clip.

First, I disconnected the power and the printer cable,
just to be sure. Then, I reached inside and carefully
removed the battery. I waited for about an hour, and then
reinserted the battery and plugged everything back in.
Viola! I was able to make a copy.

Tried printing-- that worked too.

I'm certain now that if I'd known this trick a few months ago,
I could have saved the money I had to spend on a printhead too.

HP d145 Printer

On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 02:48:45 -0700, HP d145 Printer wrote:
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/...hreadId=746562

This forum article contains lots of good information ... and, it referenced
probably one of the best HP Officejet D145 fixityourself articles at

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/inkjet/27744

Only some of which I reproduce here .......
I HAVE GOTTEN AN OFFICEJET D135 FOR FREE, AND FOR GOOD REASON. BOTH INK
TANKS WERE NEAR FULL AND EXPIRED, AND ALL 4 PRINT HEADS ARE DRY AS A BONE.
BELOW IS A PLAY BY PLAY ON 1.) RESETTING A D135 TO USE EXPIRED CART'S AND
2.) MAKING OLD DYING PRINT HEADS (THAT GIVE YOU THE IDS FAILURE CALL HP
MESSAGE)...

A.) RESETTING THE PRINTER TO ACCEPT ANY TANKS
1. UNPLUG THE PRINTER FROM BOTH THE COMPUTER AND POWER
SUPPLY

2. USE A SMALL SCREWDRIVER OR SOMETHING ABOUT 1/8" IN DIAMATER TO PUSH OUT
THE HINGE PINS ON THE 2 MAIN SUPPORT WHEN YOU OPEN THE PRINTER TO SERVICE
IT (BE WARNED *NOT* TO OPEN THE PRINTER UP TO FAST, OR TO FAR WITH THE PINS
OUT!! I DID THIS AND DIDN'T REALIZE THE TOP PRINTER COVER WOULD REACH its
OPENING POINT, AS SUCH HAD TO GLUE BACK THE HINGE POINTS ON THE TOP SCANNER
COVER!!)

3.) WITH THE TOP FULLY OPEN, AND HINGES OUT, YOU CAN SEE MUCH BETTER INTO
THE LEFT SIDE OF THE PRINTER. THERE RIGHT INFRONT OF YOU IS A 3.3V STANDARD
CMOS/BIOS BATTERY YOUR USED TO SEEING IN YOUR PC. USE A PAPERCLIP, SMALL
PLYERS WHATEVER TO GET IT OUT, AND LEAVE IT OUT OVER AN HOUR.

4.) REVERSE THE ABOUT STEPS TO HE LETTER, INSTALLING THE BATTERY FIRST.
WHEN YOUR PRINTER NOW STARTS THE TIME WILL BE JAN 00 00 00:00 - DON'T
WORRY, FOR SOME REASON IF YOU USE THE DIRECTOR SOFTWARE AVAIL. ON THE HP
WEBSITE, AND DIRECT LINK THE TIME/DATE WITH THE COMPUTER, THE PRINTER WILL
AUTO CORRECT ITSELF EVERYTIME YOU START THE PRINTER TO GET AWAY FROM THE
JAN 00 00 00:00. IT'S A PROBLEM IN THE HARDWARE IN THE PRINTER, ASSUMING IT
ONLY CHECK THE FLASHED ROM ON THE PRINTER CART'S ON POWERUP, IN WHICH THE
TIME SAYS JAN 00 00 00:00, AND ALL IS GOOD. I AM CURRENTLY USING A COLOR
CART THAT IS 13 MONTHS EXPIRED. AND UNLIKE WHAT HP WILL TELL YOU, TANKS
NEVER WILL EXPIRE, THEY ARE SPONGES - PLAIN AN SIMPLE -... NEXT, HOW TO FIX
YOUR PRINT HEADS, AND GET AWAY FROM THE "IDS FAILURE - CALL HP" MESSAGE.

B.) CLEANING AND FIXING YOUR HP D135 PRINT HEADS

1.) FIRST MESSAGE OF WARNING, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE FUNDS FOR NEW INK
CART'S OR AS I'M ASSUMING KNOW HOW TO SAVE HUNDREADS AND REFILL YOUR OWN
TANKS.

2.) ALL HP INKS ARE PIGMENT BASED, IN A WATER SOLUTION. THAT SAID, LIKE
WATERCOLORS, GUESS WHAT CLEANS HP INKS?? WATER OR BETTER YET SOMETHING WITH
A BIT OF HOUSEHOLD AMMONIUM - WINDEX. I STARTED WITH A PRINTER THAT HAD
BEEN LEFT IN A TRUNK FOR 4 MONTHS, AND DEAD, AND ENDED WITH ONE THAT CAN
PRINT AMAZING COLOR - GLOSSY PRINTS.

3.) QUITE SIMPLY, TAKE A PLATE YOUR NEVER GOING TO USE AGAIN, AND NO NOT
PAPER, A ROLL OF PAPER TOWEL, AND A BOTTLE OF WINDEX. SIMPLY TEAR OFF ABOUT
4 - 5 SHEETS OF PAPER TOWEL, SOAK WITH WINDEX, AND SET YOUR PRINTHEADS (JET
SIDE DOWN ON THE TOWEL) AS WE ALL KNOW THERE ARE 4 PRINT HEADS, AND THE
DON'T LAY FLAT TO EXPOSE ALL THE INKJETS, I PUT TAPE BETWEEN 2 SETS, TO GET
THEM TO HAVE MAX INKJET EXPOSURE, THEN SET 2 - 3 LBS OF WEIGHT ON THEM
(THINK SMALL BOOK). LET THEM SET FOR A FEW HOURS TO OVERNIGHT. A FEW HOURS
FOR A LOT OF CLOGS, OVERNIGHT IF THEY ARE NOT PRINTING AT ALL. YOU CAN TELL
FROM A TEST PRINT PAGE REPORT (*3 *5). IF YOU GET AN IDS OR DEAD HEAD
ERROR, PRESS ENTER AND IT WILL PRINT ANYWAY.

4.) THE SCIENCE BEHIND WHY THIS WORKS. WINDEX IS 90%+ WATER A MOSTLY THE
REST AMMONIUM. INKJETS USE TINY HEAT ELEMENTS TO "SPRAY" INK ON THE PAGE.
IF THEY HAVE DRIED INK UP IN THE ELEMENT, OR THE PIPE TO THE NOZZEL, ALL
THE CLEAN CYCLES IN THE WORLD WON'T WORK (TRUST ME, I TRIED). THE WINDEX,
WORKS IN REVERSE, THE WATER/AMMONIA SOLUTION WORKS BACKWARDS UP THE PIPE,
VIA THE NOZZLE INTO THE HEATER AND HEAD ITSELF.

5.) AFTER A FEW DOZEN PRINT CYCLES, THIS WILL FIX ANY LEVEL OF CLOG!! MIND
YOU, YOU MAY HAVE TO RE-WINDEX IF YOU GET ANY IDS ERRORS, BUT MINE HAVE
HAPPENED ONCE SINCE MY INITAL 3 HOUR SOAKING IN WINDEX, AND ONLY TO THE
CYAN.

HOPE THIS LITTLE GUIDE HELPS, IT'S MY FIRST, I WILL START WRITING MORE AS I
CAN FIND THE TIME, AND THE NEED. IT'S HP NOW MAKES THE COMMON PERSON THINK
TANKS CAN EXPIRE, AND HEADS ARE EVER DEAD... IF YOU DON'T KNOW, YOU CAN
REFILL YOUR TANKS USUALLY 4 - 6 TIMES WITH A 20.00 REFILL KIT OFF E-BAY. AS
WITH ALL THINGS E-BAY MAKE SURE YOUR SUPPLIER USES GOOD QUALITY INKS
(PIGMENT/DYE BASED - THERE IS A DIFFRENCE!!) AND LOOK AT THE SAVINGS, 20.00
FOR A BLACK/CMY COLOR REFILL KIT) OR OVER 300.00 FOR THE SAME NEW TANKS AT
A LOCAL RETAIL SHOP!!

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/inkjet/27744

HP d145 Printer

On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 02:53:43 -0700, HP d145 Printer wrote:
Keep in mind, the expiration dates CAN be defeated (as shown in the prior
article).... but if you don't defeat the arbitrary expiration dates, this
is what you'll be confronted with .......

HP officejet d145

Disable ink drop counting:
1. Press both + and - arrow buttons at the same time
2. Release both + and - arrow buttons at the same time
3. Press buttons 4, then 5, then 6 in quick sequence
4. Press 1 (yes) when it asks you to disable color ink drop counting
5. Repeat steps 1 and 2 above
6. Press buttons 7, then 8, then 9 in quick sequence
4. Press 1 (yes) when it asks you to disable black ink drop counting

Manufacture date = warranty expiry date - 30 months
Warranty expiry date = YYYY/MM/DD printed on ink cartridge
Suggested install-by date = warranty expiry date - 12 months
Install date = date first installed in hp officejet d145
Package printed date = warranty expiry date - 3 months
In-service expiry date = install date + 30 months
Cartridge expiry date = warranty expiry date + 24 months

Example:
Manufacture date = November 03, 2006
Warranty expiry date = May 03, 2007 (printed as 2007/05/03)
Suggested install-by date = May 03, 2008
Install date = June 12, 2008 (for example)
Package printed date = February 03, 2009
In-service expiry date = December 12, 2010
Cartridge expiry date = May 03, 2011

All this can be defeated as shown previously (open the CMOS battery circuit
for an hour). Keep in mind, the HP #14 ink tanks are just a sponge filled
with ink. Nothing more. Nothing less. There's no reason they should expire
if you keep them filled (HP diatribes to the contrary notwithstanding).

Also bear in mind, the HP "ink drop counting" system is designed to prevent
you from refilling, not to prevent the printheads from running dry and
burning out the heating elements due to loss of water cooling! The proof is
in the fact that HP could have measured the ink itself but that would be
too easy - HP insists on measuring the "original" ink drops consumed and
expiring the tank when that original ink was consumed even if a full tank
of better quality ink exists in reality. Sigh. (Of course, they'll wax
eloquently about the "quality" of the ink causing "damage" but guess what
..... they're full of it as their actions betray their true intent).

HP d145 Printer

On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 03:01:23 -0700, HP d145 Printer wrote:
BTW, before I realized what solvent to use to clean the dried ink in the
printheads, I tried water, vinegar, isopropyl alcohol, and windex
(ammonia).

My hands were full of ink.

Guess what cleaned the water-soluble ink off the best?

Nope.

Water worked just OK. Alcohol sucked. Windex (in combination with water)
worked best. Vinegar didn't do diddly squat.

So, here's what I recommend:
a. Use Windex (ammonia) solutions to clean the printheads bottom
b. Use Alcohol (isopropyl) solutions to clean the printhead electrical
contacts

Why the alcohol for the electrical contacts?
Cuz they're not that filthy (so it works well enough) and 'cuz alcohol
dries very quickly so water conduction won't short anything out.

HP d145 Printer

Here's what I learned the hard way for refilling the HP ink tanks for the
HP d145 officejet printer.

Don't drill a hole in the top of the tank like the refill kits recommend.
Ignore that and just flip the tri-color and black tanks upside down.

Simply drip high quality refill ink onto the sponge at the bottom
That's it. Refill until the sponge is nice and soaking wet.
A few paper towels will soak up whatever spills out.

BTW, yellow goes fast!

And, of course, don't ever let the sponge dry out as it shrinks away from
the sides of the tank and makes a huge mess when you refill it and takes
days (perhaps never) to regain its former shape.

PS: The ink from HP is water soluble so your pictures will be too. Also,
the ink isn't archival quality from HP. Best to get ink that is archival
quality from a printing shop which is extremely cheap compared to the
horrendously expensive low-quality HP ink supplied as OEM.

HP d145 Printer

On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 03:11:07 -0700, HP d145 Printer wrote:
Related USENET posts discussing how to understand and overcome the
arbitrary expiry dates on the HP officejet d145 ink cartridges is here

HP OfficeJet 145 Black/color ink old. 8 days to expire. Printing will stop.
http://groups.google.com/group/comp....88012ad4459205

and here

Various HP printer ink expiration dates analyzed
http://groups.google.com/group/comp....22d5c81a2ba6a8

HP d145 Printer

On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 03:18:20 -0700, HP d145 Printer wrote:
One VERY IMPORTANT thing I learned the hard way!

When fixing printheads, especially if you've boiled them or soaked them,
you MUST refill the small tanks inside the printhead.

On the web, the only known method (prior to this post) was to disassemble
the printhead (photos to be shown) and dripping some ink inside.
http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/for...kjet/27744#178
http://img523.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=bent9si.jpg

But wait!

You do NOT have to disassemble the HP #14 printhead to refill it!

You can just remove the round spacer (see photos to be referenced) and then
drip the ink in via the handful of channels under that round removable
cylinder.

This is good 'cuz removing the cylinder rarely breaks the printhead but
removing the next three clips is a very delicate operation.

If you just drip ink inside the channels under the positioning cylinder,
then you don't have to remove the three clips and you win big time!

This is the ONLY place on the net where this procedure is described so take
note!

HP d145 Printer

On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 03:25:09 -0700, HP d145 Printer wrote:
I posted a few dozen pictures of the HP #14 printheads being taken apart
and refilled after a thorough cleaning ....

I'm not sure what the URL is but it's a new myspace account that I created
with my email address so that I could post pictures.

I was limited to 60 files so I posted those that I thought would be helpful
to others who have a need to refill and repair their HP #14 printheads.

I'm not used to facebook but I think this is the profile with the 60 pics