Left 4 Dead: Catalyst 'Fullscreen 3D' color settings not being applied in-game

rms

Hello, just went ATI again (last was a 9800pro!) with a 4870. My only issue
so far is neither Catalyst 8.10/11/12b are applying the default 'Fullscreen
3D' gamma/contrast/brightness settings in Left 4 Dead. I've tried making a
hotkey profile to activate after the game starts, but it is somewhat
hit-or-miss, and any attempt to fine tune the setting with the game's own
brightness option disables the profile setting. Any fix or acknowledgement
of this yet? I've submitted a Catalyst team ticket.

But for this, after a day of ownership I'm very happy (it's a Diamond 4870
1GB). I used Driver Sweep in XP safe mode to remove all the old nvidia
7900gtx drivers, then installed 8.11 immediately. I could use a tip on
specifying the refreshrate in CCC for a given resolution when a game uses
it. I have the fan at 40% and it's idling at 42C now, with a newer model
Antec 450w powersupply on an overclocked 939 NF4 mobo. The card's
quickstart guide mentions using a 2x4 pin power connector, but there are
only 2 2x3 connectors on the card.

My 3dmark score doubled from 5900 to 11300 (oc'd dualcore opteron), and I
noticed an immediate benefit in L4D with the faster framerate and higher
quality settings, as the action was more fluid and motion more precise, and
with this came increased confidence and a good 10% increase in accuracy and
other stats. Can't wait to try it in Fallout3 & Farcry2 !

rms

morvak

On Dec 5, 12:36*pm, "rms" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello, just went ATI again (last was a 9800pro!) with a 4870. *My only issue

Grats! I assume you *just* got this carrd? I just upgraded my PC last
week and this is my first ATI card in over 5+ years (I own the
Visiontek 4850). Probably more like 10. The last ATI card I had I
couldn't stand the drivers. Of course that was Windows 95 I think, and
I also think nvidia had the better 3D cards when it came to OpenGL.
From what I remember anyhoo. Needless to say, this puppy is running
smooth without any issues whatsoever.

I also hear ATI releases final drivers once a month compared to nvidia
which always releases betas.

> so far is neither Catalyst 8.10/11/12b are applying the default 'Fullscreen
> 3D' gamma/contrast/brightness settings in Left 4 Dead. *I've tried making a
> hotkey profile to activate after the game starts, but it is somewhat
> hit-or-miss, and any attempt to fine tune the setting with the game's own
> brightness option disables the profile setting. *Any fix or acknowledgement
> of this yet? *I've submitted a Catalyst team ticket.

Sorry I can't be of help but I'm interested to know what you're
talking about. Are you saying that you are trying to override L4D's
gamma/contrast/brightness with the card's profile? I'm curious: why do
you need to use the card's profile, what is wrong with adjusting the
gamme/etc in L4D's video options?

> But for this, after a day of ownership I'm very happy (it's a Diamond 4870
> 1GB). *I used Driver Sweep in XP safe mode to remove all the old nvidia
> 7900gtx drivers, then installed 8.11 immediately. *I could use a tip on
> specifying the refreshrate in CCC for a given resolution when a game uses
> it. *I have the fan at 40% and it's idling at 42C now, with a newer model
> Antec 450w powersupply on an overclocked 939 NF4 mobo. *The card's
> quickstart guide mentions using a 2x4 pin power connector, but there are
> only 2 2x3 connectors on the card.
>
> My 3dmark score doubled from 5900 to 11300 (oc'd dualcore opteron), and I
> noticed an immediate benefit in L4D with the faster framerate and higher
> quality settings, as the action was more fluid and motion more precise, and
> with this came increased confidence and a good 10% increase in accuracy and
> other stats. *Can't wait to try it in Fallout3 & Farcry2 !
>
> rms

For my 4850 I've been reading how the fan is set to like 25% speed or
something and that I should manually change a profile or something
somewhere to get it to run at 50% I believe. I haven't monitored the
temps, but I figure since I'm not overclocking, I'm fine.

rms

>I'm curious: why do
>you need to use the card's profile, what is wrong with adjusting the
>gamma/etc in L4D's video options?

My setup is always very dark, too dark to adjust out with the in-game
brightness setting (i can only barely see the last line of text in the
adjustment menu instead of all 3 lines), so adjusting the videocard is the
only way to get a normal picture. The hotkey profile I made is working ok
so far, so it's not a big deal now. After a hour of l4d the videocard is
only at 44C, not even sweating.

rms