Legacy DOS 6.22 support

Kip Warner

Greetings,

Does anyone know if there is a driver or some way to enable legacy
soundblaster 16 support in real DOS (not just a DOS box) for my
SoundBlaster Live 5.1 MP3?

Kip

Lenny

> Does anyone know if there is a driver or some way to enable legacy
> soundblaster 16 support in real DOS (not just a DOS box) for my
> SoundBlaster Live 5.1 MP3?

There used to be such a program delivered with the win9x versions of the
driver. It required emm386 to be loaded first though so it wasn't compatible
with all DOS programs. Not sure if it's still available, but you could give
it a shot. Chances are you'll need to install win9x first, so if you have
a spare formatted harddrive or something, stick it in your box and make it
primary master and do a simple windows install followed by the driver.

I can't remember the name of the sound emulator file (I believe it was a
..com program), but it should be fairly obvious when you look through the
autoexec.bat and config.sys files.

Kip Warner

Lenny wrote:

> > Does anyone know if there is a driver or some way to enable legacy
> > soundblaster 16 support in real DOS (not just a DOS box) for my
> > SoundBlaster Live 5.1 MP3?

> There used to be such a program delivered with the win9x versions of the
> driver. It required emm386 to be loaded first though so it wasn't compatible
> with all DOS programs. Not sure if it's still available, but you could give
> it a shot. Chances are you'll need to install win9x first, so if you have
> a spare formatted harddrive or something, stick it in your box and make it
> primary master and do a simple windows install followed by the driver.
>
> I can't remember the name of the sound emulator file (I believe it was a
> .com program), but it should be fairly obvious when you look through the
> autoexec.bat and config.sys files.

Thank you so much. I am primarily only concerned with just getting
Descent to work =)

Kip

Lenny

>I am primarily only concerned with just getting
> Descent to work =)

Heh! Actually, I think there is a re-make of Descent out that takes the
original source art and sound and uses a modern engine to re-create the game
in hardware accelerated 3D. I wasn't really into that game so I never
bothered to check it out, but Google should be able to find you some stuff
if you feed it the right search keywords...

Or maybe you like that pixellated, crappy look from 10 years ago?

Kip Warner

Lenny wrote:

> >I am primarily only concerned with just getting
> > Descent to work =)

> Heh! Actually, I think there is a re-make of Descent out that takes the
> original source art and sound and uses a modern engine to re-create the game
> in hardware accelerated 3D. I wasn't really into that game so I never
> bothered to check it out, but Google should be able to find you some stuff
> if you feed it the right search keywords...
>
> Or maybe you like that pixellated, crappy look from 10 years ago?

I love it. Mode 13h baby

Kip

S.P. Goodman

"Lenny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:2Ou7d.4737$(E-Mail Removed)...

> > Does anyone know if there is a driver or some way to enable legacy
> > soundblaster 16 support in real DOS (not just a DOS box) for my
> > SoundBlaster Live 5.1 MP3?

> There used to be such a program delivered with the win9x versions of the
> driver. It required emm386 to be loaded first though so it wasn't

compatible
> with all DOS programs. Not sure if it's still available, but you could

give
> it a shot. Chances are you'll need to install win9x first, so if you

have
> a spare formatted harddrive or something, stick it in your box and make it
> primary master and do a simple windows install followed by the driver.

In DOS one could load emm386 as long as you loaded himem.sys as well. This
was a standard feature and included with 6.22 and earlier.

In Config.SYS:
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE
FILES=23
BUFFERS=15

> I can't remember the name of the sound emulator file (I believe it was a
> .com program), but it should be fairly obvious when you look through the
> autoexec.bat and config.sys files.

In Autoexec.BAT it's placed even when you don't need it (that is when one
runs just Windows - no DOS games like you want). I can't remember the name
of the program either. SB(something) or EMU(something). (It's late.)

Hope the above helps. Descent I ran quite well under this configuration
actually. It was the first game I ever played over the phone lines, and the
first game I ever installed as an IT consultant - Home PC system, Big screen
TV and surround system, Barcalounger/Lazy Boy, and a joystick.

--
Stephen Goodman
* Cartoons about DVDs and Stuff

Kip Warner

Kip Warner wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Does anyone know if there is a driver or some way to enable legacy
> soundblaster 16 support in real DOS (not just a DOS box) for my
> SoundBlaster Live 5.1 MP3?
>
> Kip

I finally got it to work. He he, I got a win32 SDL binary of Descent
I cheeated.

Kip