Karen Parker

Friend has a Audigy 1 and he wishes to use the Line, but so far can't seem
to find out if its working, the Mixer is not muted.

Should the line in loop the sound to the line out..?

Thanks

D.R.

"Karen Parker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Friend has a Audigy 1 and he wishes to use the Line, but so far can't seem
> to find out if its working, the Mixer is not muted.

Make sure that the device feeding the line-in (eg cd player, pre-amp, mixer,
etc) is actually sending a line-level signal. If you are only using a
microphone, then use the microphone input because the SB amplifies that input.
Sending a line-level input into the microphone socket will produce unacceptable
noise

> Should the line in loop the sound to the line out..?

Nope. The line out is to feed your amplified speakers. The line in is to receive
a line-level input. Looping would produce crazy feedback I am guessing and may
damage the card.

D.R.

Karen Parker

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 10:48:16 +1200, "D.R." <D.R. @ NZ> wrote:

>"Karen Parker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>

>> Friend has a Audigy 1 and he wishes to use the Line, but so far can't seem
>> to find out if its working, the Mixer is not muted.

>Make sure that the device feeding the line-in (eg cd player, pre-amp, mixer,
>etc) is actually sending a line-level signal. If you are only using a
>microphone, then use the microphone input because the SB amplifies that input.
>Sending a line-level input into the microphone socket will produce unacceptable
>noise
>
>> Should the line in loop the sound to the line out..?

>Nope. The line out is to feed your amplified speakers. The line in is to receive
>a line-level input. Looping would produce crazy feedback I am guessing and may
>damage the card.
>
>D.R.

Thanks

But how does one monitor what is going into the Line IN, and what level..?

D.R.

"Karen Parker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 10:48:16 +1200, "D.R." <D.R. @ NZ> wrote:
>

> >"Karen Parker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >>

> >> Friend has a Audigy 1 and he wishes to use the Line, but so far can't

seem
> >> to find out if its working, the Mixer is not muted.

> >Make sure that the device feeding the line-in (eg cd player, pre-amp, mixer,
> >etc) is actually sending a line-level signal. If you are only using a
> >microphone, then use the microphone input because the SB amplifies that

input.
> >Sending a line-level input into the microphone socket will produce

unacceptable
> >noise
> >
> >> Should the line in loop the sound to the line out..?

> >Nope. The line out is to feed your amplified speakers. The line in is to

receive
> >a line-level input. Looping would produce crazy feedback I am guessing and

may
> >damage the card.
> >
> >D.R.
> >

> Thanks
>

> But how does one monitor what is going into the Line IN, and what level..?

The best way is with a mixer/pre-amp in between. I plug my guitar effects,
microphone, etc into a separate mixer/pre-amp. Plug headphones into the mixer
and set the levels so that they almost get into the red on the meter. I set the
output of the mixer the same, and plug into the soundcard's line-in. Anything
going into the line-in should come out the speakers that you have plugged into
the soundcard providing the Line-in is not muted, the volume slider on the
soundcard mixer is high enough, the input is signal is at line level (already
ensured this with my mixer) and that your speakers and other soundcard levels
are working fine.

D.R.

M50: Do you get audio passthrough line-in to line-out? Davy PC Hardware 5 03-26-2008 11:48 AM
Line In vs Line 0ut. axipolti@yahoo.com Dell 2 08-01-2005 12:19 AM
line-out on NF7-S matt carlsen Abit 1 06-21-2004 05:30 AM
NTFS error, accessing raid array through DOS, or chkdsk from command line h Abit 2 04-21-2004 05:03 PM
KT7A introducing noise to the phone line. Erick Ondich Abit 2 08-16-2003 04:38 AM