Linksys 4-Port Router Problem?

charliec@email.com

I have a Dim 8300 that I have been running for many years linking to
the Internet via a Linksys Port Router (BEFRS41), so I can connect my Laptop as
needed (the 8300 is the host). Am running WinXP, with all the
updates. Lately, every few days, the Internet link indicates that the
connect is lost. I can unplug the power from the Router for a couple
of minutes, reconnect the power and the connection is restored.

Is this an indication that the Router is beginning to fail, or is
there some other possible reason for this situation.

Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.
Charliec

Timothy Daniels

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have a Dim 8300 that I have been running for many years linking to
> the Internet via a Linksys Port Router (BEFRS41), so I can connect
> my Laptop as needed (the 8300 is the host). Am running WinXP,
> with all the updates. Lately, every few days, the Internet link
> indicates that the connect is lost. I can unplug the power from the
> Router for a couple of minutes, reconnect the power and the
> connection is restored.
>
> Is this an indication that the Router is beginning to fail, or is
> there some other possible reason for this situation.
>
> Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.
> Charliec

Check the modem (i.e. "network adapter") by connecting it directly to
one of the PCs before you assume the router is going. The modem is a
complex piece of equipment, and in my (limited) experience, the modem
is more likely to fail than a wired router. If you still get dropped connections
with the direct modem-to-PC hookup, have the ISP (or DSL provider)
check the line before you assume the modem is going.

*TimDaniels*

charliec@email.com

>On Fri, 1 Apr 2011 22:50:45 -0700, "Timothy Daniels" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I have a Dim 8300 that I have been running for many years linking to
>> the Internet via a Linksys Port Router (BEFRS41), so I can connect
>> my Laptop as needed (the 8300 is the host). Am running WinXP,
>> with all the updates. Lately, every few days, the Internet link
>> indicates that the connect is lost. I can unplug the power from the
>> Router for a couple of minutes, reconnect the power and the
>> connection is restored.
>>
>> Is this an indication that the Router is beginning to fail, or is
>> there some other possible reason for this situation.
>>
>> Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.
>> Charliec

> Check the modem (i.e. "network adapter") by connecting it directly to
>one of the PCs before you assume the router is going. The modem is a
>complex piece of equipment, and in my (limited) experience, the modem
>is more likely to fail than a wired router. If you still get dropped connections
>with the direct modem-to-PC hookup, have the ISP (or DSL provider)
>check the line before you assume the modem is going.
>
>*TimDaniels*

Ok, thanks Tim.
Charliec

Christopher Muto

> I have a Dim 8300 that I have been running for many years linking to
> the Internet via a Linksys Port Router (BEFRS41), so I can connect my Laptop as
> needed (the 8300 is the host). Am running WinXP, with all the
> updates. Lately, every few days, the Internet link indicates that the
> connect is lost. I can unplug the power from the Router for a couple
> of minutes, reconnect the power and the connection is restored.
>
> Is this an indication that the Router is beginning to fail, or is
> there some other possible reason for this situation.
>
> Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.
> Charliec

this is the way that the linksys routers commonly fail - intermittently
dropping the internet connection or the connections the the clients
(wireless or wired).
As you have described it, power-cycling just the linksys to solve the
problem, says quite clearly that the problem is indeed with the router
and no further investigation is necessary (unless you are also
power-cycling the modem and the pcs as well).
the routers are so cheap these days, particularly if you don't need the
more modern ones that support wireless n, that you probably should just
get a new router. but if you want to invest some time in trying to
extend the life of the old linksys befsr41 then you could try updating
the firmware in the router as a possible solution (but it may not help).
visit linksys.com and go to the product page to download the latest
firmware and installation instructions. note the complete model number
found on the bottom of the router and be sensitive to the version number
that appears after the model number you have mentioned.
good luck.

Cmplx80

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I have a Dim 8300 that I have been running for many years linking to
> the Internet via a Linksys Port Router (BEFRS41), so I can connect my Laptop as
> needed (the 8300 is the host). Am running WinXP, with all the
> updates. Lately, every few days, the Internet link indicates that the
> connect is lost. I can unplug the power from the Router for a couple
> of minutes, reconnect the power and the connection is restored.
>
> Is this an indication that the Router is beginning to fail, or is
> there some other possible reason for this situation.
>
> Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.
> Charliec

At one time, I had a BEFRS41 (version 1.00) and I recall many connection
problems until I flashed the latest firmware. Christopher M. is correct
on paying attention to the version no. If there is no version no. on
the label, then it is Ver 1.00, which had MANY updates over its life.

Link here: http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/lbc/BEFSR41
Select "Downloads" to get to firmware updates.

Frank

RnR

On Fri, 01 Apr 2011 21:03:36 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I have a Dim 8300 that I have been running for many years linking to
>the Internet via a Linksys Port Router (BEFRS41), so I can connect my Laptop as
>needed (the 8300 is the host). Am running WinXP, with all the
>updates. Lately, every few days, the Internet link indicates that the
>connect is lost. I can unplug the power from the Router for a couple
>of minutes, reconnect the power and the connection is restored.
>
>Is this an indication that the Router is beginning to fail, or is
>there some other possible reason for this situation.
>
>Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.
>Charliec

To me, it sounds like a router problem but I won't swear to it.
Troubleshooting could be a pain and I think the easiest way is to pick
up a cheap router from Walmart (assuming you can't borrow one
elsewhere and you have a Walmart nearby) or Newegg.com and see if that
fixes the problem. If not, return the new router. If it does,
problem solved.

RnR

On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 17:32:21 -0500, Cmplx80 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> I have a Dim 8300 that I have been running for many years linking to
>> the Internet via a Linksys Port Router (BEFRS41), so I can connect my Laptop as
>> needed (the 8300 is the host). Am running WinXP, with all the
>> updates. Lately, every few days, the Internet link indicates that the
>> connect is lost. I can unplug the power from the Router for a couple
>> of minutes, reconnect the power and the connection is restored.
>>
>> Is this an indication that the Router is beginning to fail, or is
>> there some other possible reason for this situation.
>>
>> Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.
>> Charliec

>At one time, I had a BEFRS41 (version 1.00) and I recall many connection
>problems until I flashed the latest firmware. Christopher M. is correct
>on paying attention to the version no. If there is no version no. on
>the label, then it is Ver 1.00, which had MANY updates over its life.
>
>Link here: http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/lbc/BEFSR41
>Select "Downloads" to get to firmware updates.
>
>Frank

Yeah but he said it was working for years okay. Why would the
firmware now be a problem unless the updates are conflicting with the
firmware??? Of course I see no harm in flashing the firmware whether
it solves the problem or not.

Cmplx80

RnR wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 17:32:21 -0500, Cmplx80 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> I have a Dim 8300 that I have been running for many years linking to
>>> the Internet via a Linksys Port Router (BEFRS41), so I can connect my Laptop as
>>> needed (the 8300 is the host). Am running WinXP, with all the
>>> updates. Lately, every few days, the Internet link indicates that the
>>> connect is lost. I can unplug the power from the Router for a couple
>>> of minutes, reconnect the power and the connection is restored.
>>>
>>> Is this an indication that the Router is beginning to fail, or is
>>> there some other possible reason for this situation.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.
>>> Charliec

>> At one time, I had a BEFRS41 (version 1.00) and I recall many connection
>> problems until I flashed the latest firmware. Christopher M. is correct
>> on paying attention to the version no. If there is no version no. on
>> the label, then it is Ver 1.00, which had MANY updates over its life.
>>
>> Link here: http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/lbc/BEFSR41
>> Select "Downloads" to get to firmware updates.
>>
>> Frank

> Yeah but he said it was working for years okay. Why would the
> firmware now be a problem unless the updates are conflicting with the
> firmware??? Of course I see no harm in flashing the firmware whether
> it solves the problem or not.

There could be a firmware timing issue or a DHCP issue that was sliding
by until an ISP fixed their problem. Often, the manufacturer has
discovered problems that are not yet showing up in userville. When
things are free it makes sense to try it--like free firmware upgrades,
for example. The procedure is to go to the site, read the release notes,
and determine if the documented fixes pertain to your problem. Me? I get
the latest and flash it. If it screws something up, I back down to the
previous Version. Works for me.

Frank

RnR

On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 18:55:34 -0500, Cmplx80 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>RnR wrote:

>>> At one time, I had a BEFRS41 (version 1.00) and I recall many connection
>>> problems until I flashed the latest firmware. Christopher M. is correct
>>> on paying attention to the version no. If there is no version no. on
>>> the label, then it is Ver 1.00, which had MANY updates over its life.
>>>
>>> Link here: http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/lbc/BEFSR41
>>> Select "Downloads" to get to firmware updates.
>>>
>>> Frank

>> Yeah but he said it was working for years okay. Why would the
>> firmware now be a problem unless the updates are conflicting with the
>> firmware??? Of course I see no harm in flashing the firmware whether
>> it solves the problem or not.

>There could be a firmware timing issue or a DHCP issue that was sliding
>by until an ISP fixed their problem. Often, the manufacturer has
>discovered problems that are not yet showing up in userville. When
>things are free it makes sense to try it--like free firmware upgrades,
>for example. The procedure is to go to the site, read the release notes,
>and determine if the documented fixes pertain to your problem. Me? I get
>the latest and flash it. If it screws something up, I back down to the
>previous Version. Works for me.
>
>Frank

I gotcha. Years ago flashing was high risk but nowadays, usually
not. I agree, if you can go backwards for firmware, why not. I agree
with you... it's worth the shot before replacing the router.

Timothy Daniels

"RnR" wrote:
> Cmplx80 wrote:
>
>>RnR wrote:

>>> Yeah but he said it was working for years okay. Why would the
>>> firmware now be a problem unless the updates are conflicting with the
>>> firmware??? Of course I see no harm in flashing the firmware whether
>>> it solves the problem or not.

>>There could be a firmware timing issue or a DHCP issue that was sliding
>>by until an ISP fixed their problem. Often, the manufacturer has
>>discovered problems that are not yet showing up in userville. When
>>things are free it makes sense to try it--like free firmware upgrades,
>>for example. The procedure is to go to the site, read the release notes,
>>and determine if the documented fixes pertain to your problem. Me? I get
>>the latest and flash it. If it screws something up, I back down to the
>>previous Version. Works for me.
>>
>>Frank

> I gotcha. Years ago flashing was high risk but nowadays, usually
> not. I agree, if you can go backwards for firmware, why not. I agree
> with you... it's worth the shot before replacing the router.

Flashing is not high risk, now? It used to be that "bricking" a device
undergoing flashing was always a possibility. How has that changed?

I'd check with the ISP to see if there has been other users reporting
router problems, and I'd check with the router's manufactuer to see what
improvement was enabled by their firmware upgrade. And, like I said
before, eliminate the modem as the source of the problem before assuming
that the router is faulty.

*TimDaniels*