Linux on Abit

David Zipoy

I have RedHat Linux 8.0 running on an Abit VA10 v1.3 machine. The problem is
Linux does not find the network connection that is built into the board.
Does anyone know of a fix for this? The CPU is a 2.7GHz Athlon.

Thanks, Dave

Wes Newell

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 16:57:34 -0500, David Zipoy wrote:

> I have RedHat Linux 8.0 running on an Abit VA10 v1.3 machine. The problem is
> Linux does not find the network connection that is built into the board.
> Does anyone know of a fix for this? The CPU is a 2.7GHz Athlon.

The VT6103L (as on your board) is linux compatible. If RH doesn't find it
for some reason, then you have to configure it yourself, or maybe try
another distro. Try Knoppix (bootable CD) and see if it finds it.

Gregory Toomey

David Zipoy wrote:

> I have RedHat Linux 8.0 running on an Abit VA10 v1.3 machine. The problem
> is Linux does not find the network connection that is built into the
> board. Does anyone know of a fix for this? The CPU is a 2.7GHz Athlon.
>
> Thanks, Dave

Either updaste to a recent distro or add a cheap Realtek 8139 NIC.
SUSE 9 & Mandrake 10 work with everything I've thrown at them (though SUSE
is easier for 802.11b networking).

gtoomey

jackag

look on your motherboard disk , there should be a lan driver for linux.
I say this as i have just built a new machine on an abit mobo and during the
lan setup(win98) i noticed lan drivers for most systems including linux.

"David Zipoy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have RedHat Linux 8.0 running on an Abit VA10 v1.3 machine. The problem

is
> Linux does not find the network connection that is built into the board.
> Does anyone know of a fix for this? The CPU is a 2.7GHz Athlon.
>
> Thanks, Dave

William Park

David Zipoy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have RedHat Linux 8.0 running on an Abit VA10 v1.3 machine. The
> problem is Linux does not find the network connection that is built
> into the board. Does anyone know of a fix for this? The CPU is a
> 2.7GHz Athlon.

Spec says Abit VA-10 is using Via VT8235 southbridge, so
modprobe via-rhine
should work.

Now...
1. Why did you choose Abit VA-10, and not Asus A7V400-MX?

2. Does VA-10 has BIOS option for USB-... boot option? I
downloaded VA-10 PDF manual, but it doesn't list all the boot
options.

3. What is your general impression of the board? From Linux point
of view, of course.

--
William Park <(E-Mail Removed)>
Linux solution for data processing.

Felix Miata

William Park wrote:

> 1. Why did you choose Abit VA-10, and not Asus A7V400-MX?

Maybe he's familiar with ASUS's customer service attitude problem:
http://www.mozillaquest.com/Linux04/..._Story-01.html
--
"The message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing,
but to us who are being saved, it is the power of God."

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/

Satan's Little Sister

Thus spake Felix Miata:

>http://www.mozillaquest.com/Linux04/..._Story-01.html

I find it tragically ironic that that page failed to render correctly
when I used Firefox, but looked fine in IE.

--
sls