Lion 10.7.4 Oddities

gtr

I'm dismayed that my display options with Lion 10.7.4 have now been
limited to two: unusably jumbo and smaller-than-I'd prefer. It is
apparently due to the age of my graphics card. I have a 14-inch, Late
2006 iMac with a NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB. Oh well.

I note also that mission control has some difficulties. My F9, F10 and
F11 keys no longer function, though F12 does call up the Dashboard.

Any aid for rectifying this? I've gone into System Preferences, turned
them off and on, re-assigned them to other keys, and then re-assigned
them back to defaults. Fearing ther might be some oddity involving
QuicKeys, I turned that off as well.

All to no avail. The keys are dead.

Any cures?

Michelle Steiner

In article <2012052411333399611-xxx@yyyzzz>, gtr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm dismayed that my display options with Lion 10.7.4 have now been
> limited to two: unusably jumbo and smaller-than-I'd prefer. It is
> apparently due to the age of my graphics card. I have a 14-inch, Late
> 2006 iMac with a NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB. Oh well.

I assume that you mean 24-inch, and made a typo. Check the displays panel
in system preferences; you should see more options.

--
Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

gtr

On 2012-05-24 19:30:00 +0000, Michelle Steiner said:

> In article <2012052411333399611-xxx@yyyzzz>, gtr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I'm dismayed that my display options with Lion 10.7.4 have now been
>> limited to two: unusably jumbo and smaller-than-I'd prefer. It is
>> apparently due to the age of my graphics card. I have a 14-inch, Late
>> 2006 iMac with a NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB. Oh well.

> I assume that you mean 24-inch, and made a typo. Check the displays panel
> in system preferences; you should see more options.

Yes, 24-inch. In SysPref it shows the same too as in the menu drop-down:

1920/1260
960/600

No more.

Richard Maine

Michelle Steiner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <2012052411333399611-xxx@yyyzzz>, gtr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I'm dismayed that my display options with Lion 10.7.4 have now been
> > limited to two: unusably jumbo and smaller-than-I'd prefer. It is
> > apparently due to the age of my graphics card. I have a 14-inch, Late
> > 2006 iMac with a NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB. Oh well.

> I assume that you mean 24-inch, and made a typo. Check the displays panel
> in system preferences; you should see more options.

Reports elsewhere suggest that, no, there aren't other working options
for that particular system. Not that I've tried it myself. That system
and video does happen to be exactly what my wife has. Glad that I've not
done anything silly like downgrade it to Lion. I already have problems
with many fonts being too small for my eyes; last thing I need is ones
that are smaller still. I've yet to see anything about Lion that tempted
me in the least, but several things I disliked. Tried it out
dual-booting Lion and Snow Leopard on my laptop, but I stopped even
experimenting with the Lion partition some time ago.

I'm starting to think that if my wife's machine dies any time soon (and
at that age, it is certainly a possibility) or if she just develops a
need for something with a little more horsepower (ok, we don't really
use horses to generate our electricity - mostly the solar electric that
I had installed on our house last fall), I'll just give her the newer
iMac that I'm typing this on (27" late 2009), and I'll switch to the
Windows 7 system that I got a few months ago. I had intended it to be
just for games, but I'm reasonably happy with it overall. Not that I'm
thrilled with what I'm hearing about Windows 8, but if my wife has this
2009 iMac and I have that new Windows 7 box, it will probably be a while
before we are forced to worry about what's next.

domain: summertriangle | -- Mark Twain

Richard Maine

gtr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 2012-05-24 19:30:00 +0000, Michelle Steiner said:
>
> > In article <2012052411333399611-xxx@yyyzzz>, gtr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> I'm dismayed that my display options with Lion 10.7.4 have now been
> >> limited to two: unusably jumbo and smaller-than-I'd prefer. It is
> >> apparently due to the age of my graphics card. I have a 14-inch, Late
> >> 2006 iMac with a NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB. Oh well.

> > I assume that you mean 24-inch, and made a typo. Check the displays panel
> > in system preferences; you should see more options.

> Yes, 24-inch. In SysPref it shows the same too as in the menu drop-down:
>
> 1920/1260
> 960/600
>
> No more.

I assume that's 1920/1200 instead of 1260. 1920/1200 is "native"
resolution for that panel. 1260 would be strange. My wife's shows those
and plenty of other options (but she's on 10.6).

domain: summertriangle | -- Mark Twain

Michelle Steiner

In article <1kklobd.ovyhrv1oo5yx2N%(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed)ure (Richard Maine) wrote:

> > > I'm dismayed that my display options with Lion 10.7.4 have now been
> > > limited to two: unusably jumbo and smaller-than-I'd prefer. It is
> > > apparently due to the age of my graphics card. I have a 14-inch,
> > > Late 2006 iMac with a NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB. Oh well.

> > I assume that you mean 24-inch, and made a typo. Check the displays
> > panel in system preferences; you should see more options.

> Reports elsewhere suggest that, no, there aren't other working options
> for that particular system. Not that I've tried it myself. That system
> and video does happen to be exactly what my wife has.

I have a 20" late 2006 iMac with an ATI Radeon X1600 128 MB graphics card,
and I don't have that problem. I have eight distinct resolutions to choose
from.

--
Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

Richard Maine

Michelle Steiner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <1kklobd.ovyhrv1oo5yx2N%(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed)ure (Richard Maine) wrote:

[correcting confusing quoting; the para below was actually gtr's;
mine (Richard Maine) was the one about "reports elsewhere..."]

> > > I assume that you mean 24-inch, and made a typo. Check the displays
> > > panel in system preferences; you should see more options.

> > Reports elsewhere suggest that, no, there aren't other working options
> > for that particular system. Not that I've tried it myself. That system
> > and video does happen to be exactly what my wife has.

> I have a 20" late 2006 iMac with an ATI Radeon X1600 128 MB graphics card,
> and I don't have that problem. I have eight distinct resolutions to choose
> from.

Yes, but the problem is alleged to be related to the graphics driver. So
it isn't surprising that you'd not see the same thing with your ATI 1600
as gtr reports with his NVIDIA 7600.

domain: summertriangle | -- Mark Twain

David Empson

Richard Maine <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Michelle Steiner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > In article <1kklobd.ovyhrv1oo5yx2N%(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > (E-Mail Removed)ure (Richard Maine) wrote:
> >

> [correcting confusing quoting; the para below was actually gtr's;
> mine (Richard Maine) was the one about "reports elsewhere..."]

> > > Reports elsewhere suggest that, no, there aren't other working options
> > > for that particular system. Not that I've tried it myself. That system
> > > and video does happen to be exactly what my wife has.

> > I have a 20" late 2006 iMac with an ATI Radeon X1600 128 MB graphics card,
> > and I don't have that problem. I have eight distinct resolutions to choose
> > from.

> Yes, but the problem is alleged to be related to the graphics driver. So
> it isn't surprising that you'd not see the same thing with your ATI 1600
> as gtr reports with his NVIDIA 7600.

Good to have that as another data point, so thanks for the confirmation
Michelle.

It appears to be specific to the NVIDIA GeForce 7x00 driver. The 24"
late 2006 iMac has either a GeForce 7300 or 7600 depending on build
options.

Apple only used the GeForce 7600 in the 24" late 2006 iMac.

The GeForce 7300 was also available as one of the options for the
graphics card in the 2006 and 2007 Mac Pro. I haven't seen anyone
reporting the problem for them yet, but they are much rarer than the 24"
late 2006 iMac, and the problem might only affect the GeForce 7600, not
the 7300.

--
David Empson
(E-Mail Removed)

gtr

On 2012-05-24 20:28:27 +0000, Richard Maine said:

>> Yes, 24-inch. In SysPref it shows the same too as in the menu drop-down:
>>
>> 1920/1260
>> 960/600
>>
>> No more.

> I assume that's 1920/1200 instead of 1260.

Correct.

gtr

On 2012-05-24 18:33:33 +0000, gtr said:

> I'm dismayed that my display options with Lion 10.7.4 have now been
> limited to two: unusably jumbo and smaller-than-I'd prefer. It is
> apparently due to the age of my graphics card. I have a 14-inch, Late
> 2006 iMac with a NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB. Oh well.

Additional info seems to underscore "oh well" as conclusionary.

> I note also that mission control has some difficulties. My F9, F10 and
> F11 keys no longer function, though F12 does call up the Dashboard.

After a reboot it began working again. This has happened twice though.
Very odd.