Lion Address Book Memory Leak

Kurt R. Todoroff

I installed Lion on my girlfriend's iMac (27-inch, 4GB RAM) on Saturday,
my father's iMac (20-inch, 3GB RAM) on Saturday, and my two iMacs
(27-inch, 8GB RAM) yesterday.

When I launch Address Book and Activity Monitor on my two iMacs, Address
Book's memory usage increases rapidly until I quit it. I have watched
it increased to over 4GB within less than fifteen minutes. Once its
memory usage passes a certain point, the hard drive activity becomes
quite vigorous and loud, which I assume is rapid page swaps. The Mac's
responsiveness declines rapidly as AB uses more memory. Once the memory
manager starts banging the hard drive, it takes five to ten minutes for
even a small memory footprint application like TextEdit to quit.

When I launch Address Book and Activity Monitor on either of my
girlfriend's iMac or my father's iMac, its memory usage remains constant
at around 43MB for the entire day.

Has anyone experienced this? I've searched for this problem, but have
only read that Apple plugged some memory leaks in 10.7.2 in Safari and
Time Machine. The significant difference between our systems is that my
AB contains 3,600 contacts, whereas, theirs contain less than 200 each.
Each of their Macs reside at home, and both use iCloud to sync with
their respective iPhones and her iPad. One of my iMacs resides at home,
the other at my small business. Both of them sync to iCloud and my
iPhone.

Thank you.

--

Kurt Todoroff

Markets, not mandates and mob rule.
Consent, not coercion.

Kurt R. Todoroff

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Kurt R. Todoroff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I installed Lion on my girlfriend's iMac (27-inch, 4GB RAM) on Saturday,
> my father's iMac (20-inch, 3GB RAM) on Saturday, and my two iMacs
> (27-inch, 8GB RAM) yesterday.
>
> When I launch Address Book and Activity Monitor on my two iMacs, Address
> Book's memory usage increases rapidly until I quit it. I have watched
> it increased to over 4GB within less than fifteen minutes. Once its
> memory usage passes a certain point, the hard drive activity becomes
> quite vigorous and loud, which I assume is rapid page swaps. The Mac's
> responsiveness declines rapidly as AB uses more memory. Once the memory
> manager starts banging the hard drive, it takes five to ten minutes for
> even a small memory footprint application like TextEdit to quit.
>
> When I launch Address Book and Activity Monitor on either of my
> girlfriend's iMac or my father's iMac, its memory usage remains constant
> at around 43MB for the entire day.
>
> Has anyone experienced this? I've searched for this problem, but have
> only read that Apple plugged some memory leaks in 10.7.2 in Safari and
> Time Machine. The significant difference between our systems is that my
> AB contains 3,600 contacts, whereas, theirs contain less than 200 each.
> Each of their Macs reside at home, and both use iCloud to sync with
> their respective iPhones and her iPad. One of my iMacs resides at home,
> the other at my small business. Both of them sync to iCloud and my
> iPhone.
>
> Thank you.

I posted the original message on Tuesday.

On Wednesday, I decided to refrain from launching Address Book when I
arrived at work (with the other applications that I use frequently
throughout the day), and instead, just use it as needed and then quit
it. My Quad-Core iMac's speed returned.

This worked fine for several hours. Then my iMac began to act sluggish
again. I launched Activity Monitor. A new process,
AddressBookSyncSource, was behaving in the same manner that Address Book
had been. That is, its memory usage was increasing rapidly and so was
its CPU usage. I let it cook for a while, and then it terminated after
a couple of hours. My Mac returned to normal.

On Thursday, I launched my usual applications except for Address Book,
when I arrived at my business. About four hours later my iMac began to
act sluggish. I checked Activity Monitor. Sure enough,
AddressBookSourceSync was running and using large amounts of system
resources. It's still running as I type this. Seeing how its memory
usage is approaching 6GB, I will restart my iMac after I post this
message.

A Google search returned very little information on
AddressBookSourceSync. Is anyone familiar with it?

Thank you.

--

Kurt Todoroff

Markets, not mandates and mob rule.
Consent, not coercion.

Michael Vilain

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Kurt R. Todoroff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Kurt R. Todoroff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I installed Lion on my girlfriend's iMac (27-inch, 4GB RAM) on Saturday,
> > my father's iMac (20-inch, 3GB RAM) on Saturday, and my two iMacs
> > (27-inch, 8GB RAM) yesterday.
> >
> > When I launch Address Book and Activity Monitor on my two iMacs, Address
> > Book's memory usage increases rapidly until I quit it. I have watched
> > it increased to over 4GB within less than fifteen minutes. Once its
> > memory usage passes a certain point, the hard drive activity becomes
> > quite vigorous and loud, which I assume is rapid page swaps. The Mac's
> > responsiveness declines rapidly as AB uses more memory. Once the memory
> > manager starts banging the hard drive, it takes five to ten minutes for
> > even a small memory footprint application like TextEdit to quit.
> >
> > When I launch Address Book and Activity Monitor on either of my
> > girlfriend's iMac or my father's iMac, its memory usage remains constant
> > at around 43MB for the entire day.
> >
> > Has anyone experienced this? I've searched for this problem, but have
> > only read that Apple plugged some memory leaks in 10.7.2 in Safari and
> > Time Machine. The significant difference between our systems is that my
> > AB contains 3,600 contacts, whereas, theirs contain less than 200 each.
> > Each of their Macs reside at home, and both use iCloud to sync with
> > their respective iPhones and her iPad. One of my iMacs resides at home,
> > the other at my small business. Both of them sync to iCloud and my
> > iPhone.
> >
> > Thank you.

> I posted the original message on Tuesday.
>
> On Wednesday, I decided to refrain from launching Address Book when I
> arrived at work (with the other applications that I use frequently
> throughout the day), and instead, just use it as needed and then quit
> it. My Quad-Core iMac's speed returned.
>
> This worked fine for several hours. Then my iMac began to act sluggish
> again. I launched Activity Monitor. A new process,
> AddressBookSyncSource, was behaving in the same manner that Address Book
> had been. That is, its memory usage was increasing rapidly and so was
> its CPU usage. I let it cook for a while, and then it terminated after
> a couple of hours. My Mac returned to normal.
>
> On Thursday, I launched my usual applications except for Address Book,
> when I arrived at my business. About four hours later my iMac began to
> act sluggish. I checked Activity Monitor. Sure enough,
> AddressBookSourceSync was running and using large amounts of system
> resources. It's still running as I type this. Seeing how its memory
> usage is approaching 6GB, I will restart my iMac after I post this
> message.
>
> A Google search returned very little information on
> AddressBookSourceSync. Is anyone familiar with it?
>
> Thank you.

Not seen this behavior on my 10.6.8 Quadcore MacPro system. I don't
have as many entries in my Address Book as you do, but I do see
WebServices ballon to 2GB of memory allocation and deflate with usage.
The difference between previous versions of MacOS X and 10.6 is that the
virtual memory swap files grow and diminish as well as memory is used.
For the most part, it hasn't been a problem. I'm not running a big
workload of memory hungry applications, so my system isn't as loaded as
yours.

What are you sync'ing with, just out of curiousity? AFIAK, the calendar
and address book sync with the iphone and itouch. In 10.7, I understand
iCloud is also sync'd. Maybe that's what's going on? Do you have any
sort of network traffic monitor to look at what's going on (Little
Snitch or RubberNet)?

I'd post this on any of the Apple Fora for developers to examine. Here
we can only commiserate or corroborate anything you find. Apple doesn't
monitor news feeds. If you're on AppleCare (if you're a business user,
you should be), submit a support ticket to have someone in Engineering
explain this behavior to you.

Kurt R. Todoroff

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Michael Vilain <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> [...]

> virtual memory swap files grow and diminish as well as memory is used.
> For the most part, it hasn't been a problem. I'm not running a big
> workload of memory hungry applications, so my system isn't as loaded as
> yours.
>
> What are you sync'ing with, just out of curiousity? AFIAK, the calendar
> and address book sync with the iphone and itouch. In 10.7, I understand
> iCloud is also sync'd. Maybe that's what's going on? Do you have any
> sort of network traffic monitor to look at what's going on (Little
> Snitch or RubberNet)?
>
> I'd post this on any of the Apple Fora for developers to examine. Here
> we can only commiserate or corroborate anything you find. Apple doesn't
> monitor news feeds. If you're on AppleCare (if you're a business user,
> you should be), submit a support ticket to have someone in Engineering

Hi Michael,

I'll take a look at Little Snitch and RubberNet. And, thank you for the
suggestion to post the problem for developers to examine.

The name of the process is interesting: AddressBookSourceSync. My iCal
contains approximately 30,000 items, however, it's performance as
displayed in Activity Monitor seems reasonable.

Thank you.

--

Kurt Todoroff

Markets, not mandates and mob rule.
Consent, not coercion.

Michael Vilain

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Kurt R. Todoroff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Michael Vilain <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > "Kurt R. Todoroff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > > "Kurt R. Todoroff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > >

> > Not seen this behavior on my 10.6.8 Quadcore MacPro system. I don't
> > have as many entries in my Address Book as you do, but I do see
> > WebServices ballon to 2GB of memory allocation and deflate with usage.
> > The difference between previous versions of MacOS X and 10.6 is that the
> > virtual memory swap files grow and diminish as well as memory is used.
> > For the most part, it hasn't been a problem. I'm not running a big
> > workload of memory hungry applications, so my system isn't as loaded as
> > yours.
> >
> > What are you sync'ing with, just out of curiousity? AFIAK, the calendar
> > and address book sync with the iphone and itouch. In 10.7, I understand
> > iCloud is also sync'd. Maybe that's what's going on? Do you have any
> > sort of network traffic monitor to look at what's going on (Little
> > Snitch or RubberNet)?
> >
> > I'd post this on any of the Apple Fora for developers to examine. Here
> > we can only commiserate or corroborate anything you find. Apple doesn't
> > monitor news feeds. If you're on AppleCare (if you're a business user,
> > you should be), submit a support ticket to have someone in Engineering
> > explain this behavior to you.

> Hi Michael,
>
> I'll take a look at Little Snitch and RubberNet. And, thank you for the
> suggestion to post the problem for developers to examine.
>
> The name of the process is interesting: AddressBookSourceSync. My iCal
> contains approximately 30,000 items, however, it's performance as
> displayed in Activity Monitor seems reasonable.
>
> Thank you.

AddressBookSourceSync is a 10.7 process. It's not running on my 10.6
system. Definitely involve Apple in this. That's what AppleCare is
for, IMO. You can't fix this sort of thing without sources and
debugging.

Kurt R. Todoroff

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Michael Vilain <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Kurt R. Todoroff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > Michael Vilain <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Not seen this behavior on my 10.6.8 Quadcore MacPro system. I don't
> > > have as many entries in my Address Book as you do, but I do see
> > > WebServices ballon to 2GB of memory allocation and deflate with usage.
> > > The difference between previous versions of MacOS X and 10.6 is that the
> > > virtual memory swap files grow and diminish as well as memory is used.
> > > For the most part, it hasn't been a problem. I'm not running a big
> > > workload of memory hungry applications, so my system isn't as loaded as
> > > yours.
> > >
> > > What are you sync'ing with, just out of curiousity? AFIAK, the calendar
> > > and address book sync with the iphone and itouch. In 10.7, I understand
> > > iCloud is also sync'd. Maybe that's what's going on? Do you have any
> > > sort of network traffic monitor to look at what's going on (Little
> > > Snitch or RubberNet)?
> > >
> > > I'd post this on any of the Apple Fora for developers to examine. Here
> > > we can only commiserate or corroborate anything you find. Apple doesn't
> > > monitor news feeds. If you're on AppleCare (if you're a business user,
> > > you should be), submit a support ticket to have someone in Engineering
> > > explain this behavior to you.

> > Hi Michael,
> >
> > I'll take a look at Little Snitch and RubberNet. And, thank you for the
> > suggestion to post the problem for developers to examine.
> >
> > The name of the process is interesting: AddressBookSourceSync. My iCal
> > contains approximately 30,000 items, however, it's performance as
> > displayed in Activity Monitor seems reasonable.
> >
> > Thank you.

> AddressBookSourceSync is a 10.7 process. It's not running on my 10.6
> system. Definitely involve Apple in this. That's what AppleCare is
> for, IMO. You can't fix this sort of thing without sources and
> debugging.

I contacted Apple via their website yesterday. They have scheduled a
time this afternoon to contact by telephone.

Thank you, again, for your advice. I will post again with the results
of our telephone conversation.

--

Kurt Todoroff

Markets, not mandates and mob rule.
Consent, not coercion.

Kurt R. Todoroff

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Kurt R. Todoroff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Michael Vilain <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > "Kurt R. Todoroff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Hi Michael,
> > >
> > > I'll take a look at Little Snitch and RubberNet. And, thank you for the
> > > suggestion to post the problem for developers to examine.
> > >
> > > The name of the process is interesting: AddressBookSourceSync. My iCal
> > > contains approximately 30,000 items, however, it's performance as
> > > displayed in Activity Monitor seems reasonable.
> > >
> > > Thank you.

> > AddressBookSourceSync is a 10.7 process. It's not running on my 10.6
> > system. Definitely involve Apple in this. That's what AppleCare is
> > for, IMO. You can't fix this sort of thing without sources and
> > debugging.

> I contacted Apple via their website yesterday. They have scheduled a
> time this afternoon to contact by telephone.
>
> Thank you, again, for your advice. I will post again with the results
> of our telephone conversation.

Finally!

Yesterday, I spent nearly three hours on the telephone with Apple. I
spoke with four different persons. The final person was a Senior
Advisor. The first two persons went out of their way to inform me that
my fourteen month old iMac was out of warranty, but that they wanted to
help me anyway. They added that if I called them again, they would
charge me either $49.99 per hour or $49.99 per call (I don't remember).
My rejoinder, both times, was: "I just purchased Lion. Lion is in
warranty for another 86 days." Both persons responded with: "Oh, yea."

I spent a lot of time on hold as the first three persons researched the
problem. The third person ended up transferring me to the Senior
Advisor. The SA was quite knowledgeable. She solved the problem in
just about five minutes. She told me that Lion's Address Book now used
CardDAV instead of the previous structure. As such, the OS needed to
perform a conversion on my AB data. Occasionally, the conversion burped
on a record. (My word, not Apple's.) This caused the
AddressBookSourceSync process to become a runaway application. (Her
exact words.) Her solution was to:

- Export all contacts to a vCard file for safe keeping.

- Delete Library --> Application Support --> Address Book.

- Reboot.

- Open System Preferences --> iCloud. Enable Contact Syncing.

- Click on Merge Data.

This caused my system to sync with my iCloud account. It did. It took
just a minute or two. All of my contacts appeared in AB.

I opened Activity Monitor and watched AB's memory usage for several
hours. It was stable. AddressBookSourceSync never appeared. My
speed-merchant iMac is a speed-merchant again.

Michael, thank you for your suggestions.

--

Kurt Todoroff

Markets, not mandates and mob rule.
Consent, not coercion.

Tom Stiller

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Kurt R. Todoroff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> - Export all contacts to a vCard file for safe keeping.
>
> - Delete Library --> Application Support --> Address Book.
>
> - Reboot.
>
> - Open System Preferences --> iCloud. Enable Contact Syncing.
>
> - Click on Merge Data.
>
> This caused my system to sync with my iCloud account. It did. It took
> just a minute or two. All of my contacts appeared in AB.

Were your groups restored as well?

--
PRAY, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf
of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy. -- Ambrose Bierce

Kurt R. Todoroff

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Tom Stiller <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Kurt R. Todoroff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > - Export all contacts to a vCard file for safe keeping.
> >
> > - Delete Library --> Application Support --> Address Book.
> >
> > - Reboot.
> >
> > - Open System Preferences --> iCloud. Enable Contact Syncing.
> >
> > - Click on Merge Data.
> >
> > This caused my system to sync with my iCloud account. It did. It took
> > just a minute or two. All of my contacts appeared in AB.

> Were your groups restored as well?

Hi Tom,

Yes, this procedure restored all of the AB Groups. Are you experiencing
this problem? I'll tell you what, putting all of my Macs sluggishness
behind me, and using a fast machine again sure is a good feeling.

--

Kurt Todoroff

Markets, not mandates and mob rule.
Consent, not coercion.

Tom Stiller

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Kurt R. Todoroff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Tom Stiller <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > "Kurt R. Todoroff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > > - Export all contacts to a vCard file for safe keeping.
> > >
> > > - Delete Library --> Application Support --> Address Book.
> > >
> > > - Reboot.
> > >
> > > - Open System Preferences --> iCloud. Enable Contact Syncing.
> > >
> > > - Click on Merge Data.
> > >
> > > This caused my system to sync with my iCloud account. It did. It took
> > > just a minute or two. All of my contacts appeared in AB.

> > Were your groups restored as well?

> Hi Tom,
>
> Yes, this procedure restored all of the AB Groups. Are you experiencing
> this problem? I'll tell you what, putting all of my Macs sluggishness
> behind me, and using a fast machine again sure is a good feeling.

I'm not having a problem but when I first installed iOS 5 and was
experimenting with various options, I deleted all my contacts.
I was able to restore all the contacts from a Time Machine backup (from
within AB) but it didn't restore the groups.

I recovered everything by opening the TM sparse bundle, selecting a
backup from before the experimentation, and drag copying the appropriate
folder to ~/Library/Application Support.

OSX Lion Address Book Bill Apple 8 08-25-2011 10:30 PM
What Is The Correct Format For Adding An AIM Address To Address Book ? Kurt R. Todoroff Apple 6 11-24-2008 09:42 PM
size of physical memory is given by size of address registers in CPU or size of address bus?? Arunaabh Intel 4 05-06-2006 05:05 PM
Memory Leak and p4p800 with XP Eric Asus 3 04-26-2004 03:18 PM
Promise RAID message agent memory leak news.lightship.net Asus 3 04-16-2004 11:38 PM