Warren Oates

I upgraded to Lion in my usual way: I cloned my SL boot drive (with Disk
Utility), verified its bootable integrity and all, installed Lion on top
of the clone, and booted with it.

Went very well. The upside-down scroll bars got me at first, but I use
the scroll-wheel on my mouse anyway. Only a few apps were greyed out,
some of which I've forgotten what they do; my Office 2004 is gone, but
it's time for a new one anyway, and in the meantime I can use
LibreThing. I couldn't find Spaces at first (I know, I found the
replacement -- it's a little overblown for my taste, but it works).
Launchpad is silly -- I never used The Launcher either, like I've never
used Dashboard. But it's easy to ignore.

But HELLO ... this system is NOTICEABLY faster than anything I've run on
this machine before (started with Tiger -- MacPro 1,1). This isn't just
the ol' Warren's Benchmark ("Hmm, seems a bit faster"); _everything_
seems snappier. This feels snappy in the way 9.2.2 used to feel snappy
when we first moved to OS X. The apps launch faster; Web pages load
faster; MTNW loads faster. It was so nocticeable that I even went and
checked my broadband connection (which hasn't changed).

They've done some serious messing around "under the hood" methinks.
There was nothing like this when I went from Leopard to SL.

Okay, but where do you go to turn off that thing where all your open
apps relaunch when you restart? I read about that here.

[I have one of these:

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Produc...S=1268&ID=1731

I paid less than half of that price from TigerDirect. It's a great thing
to have around when you're messing with disk replacements and system
upgrades. Plus, it can't hurt to have a couple of 250 gig drives lying
around. I'm using the USB 2 side of it. If I thought it would be useful,
I'd get an eSATA card for the Mac.]
--

.... do not cover a warm kettle or your stock may sour. -- Julia Child

Alan Browne

On 2012-06-17 17:08 , Warren Oates wrote:

> But HELLO ... this system is NOTICEABLY faster than anything I've run on
> this machine before (started with Tiger -- MacPro 1,1). This isn't just
> the ol' Warren's Benchmark ("Hmm, seems a bit faster"); _everything_
> seems snappier. This feels snappy in the way 9.2.2 used to feel snappy
> when we first moved to OS X. The apps launch faster; Web pages load
> faster; MTNW loads faster. It was so nocticeable that I even went and
> checked my broadband connection (which hasn't changed).

Can't say anything is noticeably faster - but certainly nothing slowed down.

> They've done some serious messing around "under the hood" methinks.
> There was nothing like this when I went from Leopard to SL.
>
> Okay, but where do you go to turn off that thing where all your open
> apps relaunch when you restart? I read about that here.
>
> [I have one of these:
>
> http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Produc...S=1268&ID=1731

I've got a similar widget (EZ-Dock-2) but it's USB 2.0 only. Takes 1 or
2 disks. I've got two 2 TB drives in there at present.

> I paid less than half of that price from TigerDirect. It's a great thing
> to have around when you're messing with disk replacements and system
> upgrades. Plus, it can't hurt to have a couple of 250 gig drives lying
> around. I'm using the USB 2 side of it. If I thought it would be useful,
> I'd get an eSATA card for the Mac.]

--
"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
-Samuel Clemens.

Alan Browne

On 2012-06-17 17:08 , Warren Oates wrote:
> I upgraded to Lion in my usual way: I cloned my SL boot drive (with Disk
> Utility), verified its bootable integrity and all, installed Lion on top
> of the clone, and booted with it.
>
> Went very well. The upside-down scroll bars got me at first, but I use
> the scroll-wheel on my mouse anyway. Only a few apps were greyed out,
> some of which I've forgotten what they do; my Office 2004 is gone, but
> it's time for a new one anyway, and in the meantime I can use
> LibreThing. I couldn't find Spaces at first (I know, I found the
> replacement -- it's a little overblown for my taste, but it works).
> Launchpad is silly -- I never used The Launcher either, like I've never
> used Dashboard. But it's easy to ignore.
>
> But HELLO ... this system is NOTICEABLY faster than anything I've run on
> this machine before (started with Tiger -- MacPro 1,1). This isn't just
> the ol' Warren's Benchmark ("Hmm, seems a bit faster"); _everything_
> seems snappier. This feels snappy in the way 9.2.2 used to feel snappy
> when we first moved to OS X. The apps launch faster; Web pages load
> faster; MTNW loads faster. It was so nocticeable that I even went and
> checked my broadband connection (which hasn't changed).
>
> They've done some serious messing around "under the hood" methinks.
> There was nothing like this when I went from Leopard to SL.
>
> Okay, but where do you go to turn off that thing where all your open
> apps relaunch when you restart? I read about that here.

When you shutdown, uncheck the 'reload apps' checkbox.

> [I have one of these:
>
> http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Produc...S=1268&ID=1731
>
> I paid less than half of that price from TigerDirect. It's a great thing
> to have around when you're messing with disk replacements and system
> upgrades. Plus, it can't hurt to have a couple of 250 gig drives lying
> around. I'm using the USB 2 side of it. If I thought it would be useful,
> I'd get an eSATA card for the Mac.]

--
"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
-Samuel Clemens.

Lewis

In message <4fde474d$0$1732$c3e8da3$(E-Mail Removed) m>
Warren Oates <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> But HELLO ... this system is NOTICEABLY faster than anything I've run on
> this machine before (started with Tiger -- MacPro 1,1).

Yep, it was a big jump. Albeit, every OS X version has been faster than the previous one(s) on the same hardware, but the delta with Lion was quite noticeable.

Very much looking forward to 10.8

> They've done some serious messing around "under the hood" methinks.

All that carbon cruft is gone, that's part of it.

> There was nothing like this when I went from Leopard to SL.

No, 10.6 was much more of a tweek than previous versions.

> Okay, but where do you go to turn off that thing where all your open
> apps relaunch when you restart? I read about that here.

It's not simple and I don't recommend it.

--
The more you tighten your grip, Tarkin, the more star systems will slip
through your fingers.

Warren Oates

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Alan Browne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 2012-06-17 17:08 , Warren Oates wrote:
>
> > But HELLO ... this system is NOTICEABLY faster than anything I've run on
> > this machine before (started with Tiger -- MacPro 1,1). This isn't just
> > the ol' Warren's Benchmark ("Hmm, seems a bit faster"); _everything_
> > seems snappier. This feels snappy in the way 9.2.2 used to feel snappy
> > when we first moved to OS X. The apps launch faster; Web pages load
> > faster; MTNW loads faster. It was so nocticeable that I even went and
> > checked my broadband connection (which hasn't changed).

> Can't say anything is noticeably faster - but certainly nothing slowed down.

The thing is, I didn't start with a "clean" system and reinstall or
migrate applications and whatnot. I just dropped Lion on top of SL
(which had previously been dropped on top of Leopard). The networking is
certainly faster.
--

.... do not cover a warm kettle or your stock may sour. -- Julia Child

Warren Oates

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Alan Browne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> When you shutdown, uncheck the 'reload apps' checkbox.

Ah, I see, thanks. I haven't restarted, just looked at it. Does that
persist across restarts?
--

Lewis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Okay, but where do you go to turn off that thing where all your open
> > apps relaunch when you restart? I read about that here.

> It's not simple and I don't recommend it.

Simple isn't something I'm worried about. I have cron jobs that back up
my wife's outboard drives every 6 hours; I've compiled my own version of
GCC 4.7.0 (very tasty, and all my /usr/local stuff works just fine in
Lion).

Aside from that, why would you not recommend it? I find it a minor
annoyance. I'm an old Mac guy from the Fat Mac; I've always relied on
the cleanliness of my Desktop (why I like Spaces); I don't want to see
Chrome and Eddie and Witopia and all my spanking videos popping up all
over the screen.

Mind you, I don't restart that often. It's not System 7, after all.
--

.... do not cover a warm kettle or your stock may sour. -- Julia Child

nospam

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > They've done some serious messing around "under the hood" methinks.

> All that carbon cruft is gone, that's part of it.

carbon is still there. maybe you're thinking rosetta.

> > Okay, but where do you go to turn off that thing where all your open
> > apps relaunch when you restart? I read about that here.

> It's not simple and I don't recommend it.

because checkboxes are so hard.

Lewis

In message <4fde569c$0$2092$c3e8da3$(E-Mail Removed) m>
Warren Oates <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Alan Browne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> When you shutdown, uncheck the 'reload apps' checkbox.

> Ah, I see, thanks. I haven't restarted, just looked at it. Does that
> persist across restarts?

Nope.

--
'What can I do? I'm only human,' he said aloud. Someone said, Not all
of you. --Pyramids

Lewis

In message <4fde57cd$0$2092$c3e8da3$(E-Mail Removed) m>
Warren Oates <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Lewis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> > Okay, but where do you go to turn off that thing where all your open
>> > apps relaunch when you restart? I read about that here.

>> It's not simple and I don't recommend it.

> Simple isn't something I'm worried about. I have cron jobs that back up
> my wife's outboard drives every 6 hours; I've compiled my own version of
> GCC 4.7.0 (very tasty, and all my /usr/local stuff works just fine in
> Lion).

> Aside from that, why would you not recommend it?

Disabling requires a loginhook into the /System that erases files from
your Library.

> I find it a minor
> annoyance. I'm an old Mac guy from the Fat Mac; I've always relied on
> the cleanliness of my Desktop (why I like Spaces); I don't want to see
> Chrome and Eddie and Witopia and all my spanking videos popping up all
> over the screen.

It will not reopen any apps you quite before restarting.

> Mind you, I don't restart that often. It's not System 7, after all.

Right. I actaully like the new behavior because with it and Resume, when
I *do* restart I am pretty much back exactly where I was before.

--
'They've given us the answers,' he [Carrot] said. 'Perhaps we can find
out what the questions should have been.' --Feet of Clay