***** charles

Hi,

I have an ECS L7VMM3 v1.0c with an XP2000+ running
at 1.667GHz and 256M of ram in one stick. I have run
memtest for a day and a half with no lockups. Sometimes
the cpu runs at around 40C degrees and other times I have
seen as high as 61C degrees. Is this higher number still
within spec? I have tried different new power supplies and
different ram but it still locks up once in a while. Any
other ideas on whats wrong? I run Kubuntu 7.04 with all
the updates. Sometimes the cursor just freezes and I have
to pull the plug to get it restarted.

later,
charles.......

Paul

***** charles wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an ECS L7VMM3 v1.0c with an XP2000+ running
> at 1.667GHz and 256M of ram in one stick. I have run
> memtest for a day and a half with no lockups. Sometimes
> the cpu runs at around 40C degrees and other times I have
> seen as high as 61C degrees. Is this higher number still
> within spec? I have tried different new power supplies and
> different ram but it still locks up once in a while. Any
> other ideas on whats wrong? I run Kubuntu 7.04 with all
> the updates. Sometimes the cursor just freezes and I have
> to pull the plug to get it restarted.
>
> later,
> charles.......

If you have a second computer, and both computers are networked,
the next time it freezes, try the "ping" command. I've had a
Windows machine "freeze" and yet it still returned a "ping"
without a problem. Which means that, perhaps a user interface
element was frozen, but not the whole machine.

If you have set up the ability to log into your L7VMMS
remotely, you could also try connecting to it from a
second computer.

The processor gets hotter at full (100%) CPU load. 61C is not
impossible, especially if the heatsink is on the small side.
Regular heatsinks are about the size of the socket area. Some
aftermarket heatsinks, are much larger, and may use a larger
fan. That can help a bit with heat.

Note that the heatsink cannot do its job, if all the hot air
sits around the heatsink. There has to be good case circulation,
so the air the CPU fan blows onto the heatsink, is cool.

If the CPU has a particularly small die, another problem is
power density. The small die, combined with a 60W heat output,
means a lot of heat has to flow through a small area. Perhaps
the best way to solve this problem, is with multiple heatpipes
in close proximity to the silicon die. Now, recently, a company
made a heatsink, with heatpipes but no copper heat spreader
plate. But it still didn't seem to function quite as well as
I expected. Heatpipes are still a good solution, for moving
heat from a small area, into a larger collection of fins. But
at least for now, the heatpipes should contine to use a supporting
piece of copper, to help spread the heat from the silicon die more
evenly (without hot spots on the die).

Another test you can use, is Prime95. It is possible to
run a copy of Prime95, even under Kubuntu. Mersenne.org
has versions of Prime95 for both Windows and for Linux.
I've even run multiple copies of Prime95 under
Knoppix. (Download both Linux versions, because I can
never remember whether the statically compiled or the
dynamic one, worked for me.)

Prime95 and the "torture test" option, runs the CPU at 100%
and gives a good heat load. If memtest isn't turning up a problem,
see what the symptoms are like with the Torture Test. When
overclocking, I've had Prime95 error out in about 10 seconds
or less. Once everything is tweaked properly, I can run for
4 hours without seeing an error. The longest I've waited for
Prime95, is about 16 hours on an ancient 440BX motherboard.

For an example of a heatsink with some good properties,
have a look at the design of the Big Typhoon. It is
rather expensive, at $45, but it is a good size. Nice things
about it:

http://59.124.46.91/manual/SoftManua..._en_060830.zip

1) Heatpipes, to move heat to the fins.
2) Aluminum fins to reduce overall weight.
3) Threaded fasteners, so you decide how tight to make it.
4) Open construction, with room for your fingers.

It does require removing the motherboard, but if you've worked
on a home built system for very long, you've already had the
motherboard out of the case a half dozen times anyway :-)

HTH,
Paul

wolfgang schneider

hi ,

likely it might be the mainboard itself or the powersupply which is
going to die .

In article <TBnri.292$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...

--
gravity is still active
-<--@

***** charles

news:f8l7ps$5n0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> ***** charles wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have an ECS L7VMM3 v1.0c with an XP2000+ running
> > at 1.667GHz and 256M of ram in one stick. I have run
> > memtest for a day and a half with no lockups. Sometimes
> > the cpu runs at around 40C degrees and other times I have
> > seen as high as 61C degrees. Is this higher number still
> > within spec? I have tried different new power supplies and
> > different ram but it still locks up once in a while. Any
> > other ideas on whats wrong? I run Kubuntu 7.04 with all
> > the updates. Sometimes the cursor just freezes and I have
> > to pull the plug to get it restarted.
> >
> > later,
> > charles.......
> >

> If you have a second computer, and both computers are networked,
> the next time it freezes, try the "ping" command. I've had a
> Windows machine "freeze" and yet it still returned a "ping"
> without a problem. Which means that, perhaps a user interface
> element was frozen, but not the whole machine.
>
> If you have set up the ability to log into your L7VMMS
> remotely, you could also try connecting to it from a
> second computer.

I would still have a computer that I was sitting in front of
that was non-functional, no keyboard/no mouse.

> The processor gets hotter at full (100%) CPU load. 61C is not
> impossible, especially if the heatsink is on the small side.
> Regular heatsinks are about the size of the socket area. Some
> aftermarket heatsinks, are much larger, and may use a larger
> fan. That can help a bit with heat.
>
> Note that the heatsink cannot do its job, if all the hot air
> sits around the heatsink. There has to be good case circulation,
> so the air the CPU fan blows onto the heatsink, is cool.
>
> If the CPU has a particularly small die, another problem is
> power density. The small die, combined with a 60W heat output,
> means a lot of heat has to flow through a small area. Perhaps
> the best way to solve this problem, is with multiple heatpipes
> in close proximity to the silicon die. Now, recently, a company
> made a heatsink, with heatpipes but no copper heat spreader
> plate. But it still didn't seem to function quite as well as
> I expected. Heatpipes are still a good solution, for moving
> heat from a small area, into a larger collection of fins. But
> at least for now, the heatpipes should contine to use a supporting
> piece of copper, to help spread the heat from the silicon die more
> evenly (without hot spots on the die).

If the motherboard has gone bad running it at 40C versus
60C plus wouldn't help the problem.

> Another test you can use, is Prime95. It is possible to
> run a copy of Prime95, even under Kubuntu. Mersenne.org
> has versions of Prime95 for both Windows and for Linux.
> I've even run multiple copies of Prime95 under
> Knoppix. (Download both Linux versions, because I can
> never remember whether the statically compiled or the
> dynamic one, worked for me.)

How would this help me pinpoint the problem if it is the
motherboard?

> Prime95 and the "torture test" option, runs the CPU at 100%
> and gives a good heat load. If memtest isn't turning up a problem,
> see what the symptoms are like with the Torture Test. When
> overclocking, I've had Prime95 error out in about 10 seconds
> or less. Once everything is tweaked properly, I can run for
> 4 hours without seeing an error. The longest I've waited for
> Prime95, is about 16 hours on an ancient 440BX motherboard.
>
> For an example of a heatsink with some good properties,
> have a look at the design of the Big Typhoon. It is
> rather expensive, at $45, but it is a good size. Nice things
> about it:
>
> http://59.124.46.91/manual/SoftManua..._en_060830.zip
>
> 1) Heatpipes, to move heat to the fins.
> 2) Aluminum fins to reduce overall weight.
> 3) Threaded fasteners, so you decide how tight to make it.
> 4) Open construction, with room for your fingers.
>
> It does require removing the motherboard, but if you've worked
> on a home built system for very long, you've already had the
> motherboard out of the case a half dozen times anyway :-)
>
> HTH,
> Paul

I have had the motherboard out several times. I am trying
to figure out what part is defective or if I have to throw
away the motherboard/cpu away and replace it with something
that works solidly. I have tried multiple power supplies, hard
drives, cdrom drives, ram sticks and even monitors (I know,
this wouldn't make a difference). The tasks that computer
does are relatively light but I do need a stone reliable computer.

later....

***** charles

"wolfgang schneider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> hi ,
>
> likely it might be the mainboard itself or the powersupply which is
> going to die .

I have tried multiple power supplies. I am afraid that the mb/cpu
combo is fried/just not reliable like it was when it was new.

thanks,
charles.....

> In article <TBnri.292$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have an ECS L7VMM3 v1.0c with an XP2000+ running
> > at 1.667GHz and 256M of ram in one stick. I have run
> > memtest for a day and a half with no lockups. Sometimes
> > the cpu runs at around 40C degrees and other times I have
> > seen as high as 61C degrees. Is this higher number still
> > within spec? I have tried different new power supplies and
> > different ram but it still locks up once in a while. Any
> > other ideas on whats wrong? I run Kubuntu 7.04 with all
> > the updates. Sometimes the cursor just freezes and I have
> > to pull the plug to get it restarted.
> >
> > later,
> > charles.......
> >

> --
> gravity is still active
> -<--@
> gruss , wolfgang

wolfgang schneider

so , maybe you should eruate if the capacitors on the mb are blown or (
hard to see ) dried out . this is the case often with low-price-
motherboards but is cheap to repair .

In article <03tri.75$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...

--
gravity is still active
-<--@

***** charles

Mystery solved. I took the case side off and pointed a fan at the cpu.
No lockups. So it was just running a little too hot. Thank goodness
a cheap fix. I was worried that it would end up costing me a bunch
of money.

lock slot on Dell 630m or XPS m140, for cable lock? chrisoc@westnet.com Laptops 0 05-18-2006 08:12 PM
Re: Random Lock Up Bob Troll Abit 2 07-06-2003 02:48 PM
Re: (TomG) Re: Random Lock Up Gunner Abit 3 07-06-2003 10:39 AM
Re: Random Lock Up Willie Abit 0 07-05-2003 11:28 AM
Re: Random Lock Up Willie Abit 0 07-05-2003 11:24 AM