Locked out - big problem?

Teflon

Intending to use Bart PE cd, went in to BIOS, moved CD drive ahead of
HDD in boot sequence. Restarted system, then, as usual, gave the
password to unlock the CPU, then entered the password for the disk
drive - but it did not take. Tried multiple times, but no go.

Evidently the disk drive password is for the HDD and not the CD
drive. I never assigned a password for the CD drive. Can not get
past this.

Wife's computer - big problem.

Any help on this one?

Thanks ahead of time.

Teflon

On Oct 21, 1:47*pm, John Navas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [Follow-up set to comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad]
> On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 13:10:40 -0700 (PDT), Teflon
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
> >Intending to use Bart PE cd, went in to BIOS, moved CD drive ahead of
> >HDD in boot sequence. *Restarted system, then, as usual, gave the
> >password to unlock the CPU, then entered the password for the disk
> >drive - but it did not take. *Tried multiple times, but no go.

> >Evidently the disk drive password is for the HDD and not the CD
> >drive. *

> Correct.
>
> >I never assigned a password for the CD drive. *Can not get
> >past this.

> There is no CD password, just BIOS password and/or hard disk password.
>
> >Wife's computer - big problem.

> >Any help on this one?

> 1. Restore the original drive order.
> 2. Stop messing around with things you don't understand --
> * *leave the system in factory configuration.

Thanks John, while I was away, I got back into BIOS, restored the
original BOOT sequence, rebooted, all OK. Went back into BIOS,
changed boot sequence again (no fears, once I got over the initial
shock of thinking I had screwed the pooch, and then found out it
wasn't so). This time it booted from the BART PE CD OK. Could see
the files in the Service Partition, saw what would appear to be the
backup files with a .pcr extention. Since they were in the 9.6 GB
Service Partition, it's possible they are not the culprits eating up
space on the 14.5 GB System Partition, so I left them alone.

I noted the Single File Restore folder was listed under My Computer,
and not in C:. Could that be a duplicate listing of the files inside
the Service Partition?

I will install TVRR 4.2 and see if it will delete those files, and if
it does, I'll see if it also frees up any space on C:

John, if I didn't mess around with things I didn't understand, I
wouldn't have any grandchildren. I've always enjoyed the challenge of
computers - there is so much to learn. Sorry I'm getting on your
nerves. Perhaps one of your other readers will step in and relieve
you for awhile.

Thanks for your help.

Teflon

> >John, if I didn't mess around with things I didn't understand, I
> >wouldn't have any grandchildren. .

> With all due respect, you're going about it the wrong way.

Maybe so, but the wife sure seemed to enjoy it.

BTW, are you located in San Francisco's Castro area?

Teflon

On Oct 23, 8:26*am, John Navas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [Follow-up set to comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad]
> On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 07:37:48 -0700 (PDT), Teflon
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> >> With all due respect, you're going about it the wrong way.

> >Maybe so, but the wife sure seemed to enjoy it.

> Stooping to selective quotation -- I see I was right about you.

Oh John, that was intended to be funny, to inject a bit of humor here,
a mini-discussion even. Sorry you missed it.

> >BTW, are you located in San Francisco's Castro area?

> No.

My mistake, thought I recognized the 'Castro' tone there.

Note to all: The 'lock out' problem has been resolved, thanks to me,
but thanks to any and all of you for your thoughts and suggestions.

p.s. Did not realize this wasn't a support NG, so I'll just go back
to monitoring and hopefully glean interesting/helpful info from all
the scintillating discussions. Ciao.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs John Navas wrote:
> [Follow-up set to comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad]
> On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 08:46:51 -0700 (PDT), Teflon
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
>> On Oct 23, 8:26 am, John Navas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> [Follow-up set to comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad]
>>> On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 07:37:48 -0700 (PDT), Teflon
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

>>> Stooping to selective quotation -- I see I was right about you.

>> Oh John, that was intended to be funny, to inject a bit of humor
>> here, a mini-discussion even. Sorry you missed it.

>>> No.

>> My mistake, thought I recognized the 'Castro' tone there.

> Into the twit filter you go.

Boy, you really do take yourself too bloody seriously.
--
Shaun.

Teflon

On Oct 23, 11:00*am, John Navas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [Follow-up set to comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad]
> On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 08:46:51 -0700 (PDT), Teflon
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>:

> >Oh John, that was intended to be funny, to inject a bit of humor here,
> >a mini-discussion even. *Sorry you missed it.

> >> No.

> >My mistake, thought I recognized the 'Castro' tone there.

> Into the twit filter you go.

John, I think you will enjoy Jr High, providing you ever get out of
6th grade.