How long does data last on (1) 3.5" floppy disks, and (2) on CD-Rs?

Steven Hodge

How long does data last on
(1)3.5" floppy disks?
(2)CD-Rs?

Ron Cook

willah

CD-Rs should theoretically last infinetly. Floppys last for a long, long time also.

S.Heenan

Steven Hodge wrote:
> How long does data last on
> (1)3.5" floppy disks?
> (2)CD-Rs?

Though I still store applications like Norton Ghost on a set of floppy
disks, I carry two sets, since the floppy is far from immune to dust, dirt,
and rough handling. The read heads on different floppy drives may be out of
alignment as to not allow reading. The CD-R has no such issue, though a
single scratch can render it useless. Under good conditions, I'd guesstimate
the life of a floppy at two years and the life of a CD-R at 10 years. If you
value your data, make multiple backups and store them in a dry, cool, dark
place, away from EM fields.

Zebedee

"Steven Hodge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> How long does data last on
> (1)3.5" floppy disks?
> (2)CD-Rs?

3.5" disks - not that reliable. Those that last, seem to last forever. About
75% fail pretty quickly. X-Rays are guaranteed to shorten their lives. I
have a box of disks - half of which have been x-rayed and half which have
not. Those that were x-rayed are all totally unusable. Those that were not
are still usable. I've had new 3.5" disks destroyed by Windows. Basically,
3.5" disks IMO are unreliable although they're a convenient size.

CDs - not bad although the unprotected data area gives cause of concern.
With a DVD the data layer is encased. I have heard of CDs failing after 5
years.

Personally I would say that the earliest failure is the dependable life of a
product. Beyond that and it's a gamble.

--
Yours

Zebedee

(Claiming asylum in an attempt
to escape paying his debts to
Dougal and Florence)

Toma

depends where you store them. They last from a few days to many many
many years. If you have CDs in your car when it's 110 degrees they
wont last for very long. but see if you put them in a special
cartridge or a cd wallet they will probably last as long as you will.

(E-Mail Removed) (Steven Hodge) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed) om>...
> How long does data last on
> (1)3.5" floppy disks?
> (2)CD-Rs?

willah

"Zebedee" <abuse@127.0.0.1> wrote in message news:<40cf4ad0$0$2285$(E-Mail Removed) >...
> "Steven Hodge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> > How long does data last on
> > (1)3.5" floppy disks?
> > (2)CD-Rs?

> 3.5" disks - not that reliable. Those that last, seem to last forever. About
> 75% fail pretty quickly. X-Rays are guaranteed to shorten their lives. I
> have a box of disks - half of which have been x-rayed and half which have
> not. Those that were x-rayed are all totally unusable. Those that were not
> are still usable. I've had new 3.5" disks destroyed by Windows. Basically,
> 3.5" disks IMO are unreliable although they're a convenient size.

How do x-rays affect hdds in laptops?

Tom

Badly.

- Tom

> How do x-rays affect hdds in laptops?

DevilsPGD

In message <(E-Mail Removed) >
(E-Mail Removed) (Tom) wrote:

>Badly.

In what sense?

--
HTML email should be treated in the same manner as sexual acts between
consenting adults. Only done in private places where willing parties,

Tom

Badly, as in, not goodly, i.e. it does them no good.

- Tom