lookig for a way to visualize data memory overlays

bubu.aa@gmail.com

Hi

does anybody know of a program/ script/tool to visualize memory
overlays (in an embedded system)??? Or even a program to analyze them?
Basically a tool which works on the map file and generates some
drawings!
Does MS Visual have such a feature?

thx
bubu

Rich Webb

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 02:22:07 -0700 (PDT), (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Hi
>
>does anybody know of a program/ script/tool to visualize memory
>overlays (in an embedded system)??? Or even a program to analyze them?
>Basically a tool which works on the map file and generates some
>drawings!
>Does MS Visual have such a feature?

MS Visual (Studio, I assume) does not generally map onto embedded
systems, with the exception of WinCE.

You'll need to be more specific about what you're looking for, though.
What drawings would you expect to be produced by or from executable
code blocks? Or, are you looking for a way to extract bitmaps that may
be sitting as "resources" inside a block of memory?

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

Paul Keinanen

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 02:22:07 -0700 (PDT), (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Hi
>
>does anybody know of a program/ script/tool to visualize memory
>overlays (in an embedded system)??? Or even a program to analyze them?
>Basically a tool which works on the map file and generates some
>drawings!

Unfortunately, I do not understand the question.

I have been working with various PDP-11 systems (64 KiB user address
space) with various overlay loading systems for more than a decade or
used overlay loading from disk in various 8086/88 systems, but I still
do not understand what you are asking.

Most embedded systems have quite large code space (several KiBs) in
flash and very small data space (about 1 KiB) in RAM, but in order to
use overlay loading effectively, you would need something like 8-64
KiB RAM for loading the overlayed code branches into RAM for
execution.

Paul

Old ATI Radeon card, picture freezes using overlays JERONI.PAUL@terra.es ATI 5 12-26-2006 01:05 AM
Video card overlays giezoe Nvidia 0 06-06-2005 11:35 AM
whose 8051 cc overlays static inline stack frames PPAATT Embedded 29 01-15-2004 07:11 PM
Overlays and diagonal line Darkfalz Nvidia 0 10-01-2003 02:57 AM
Overlays at high res Max Christian Matrox 2 09-05-2003 03:29 AM