Looking For Board To Fit Memory/CPU

(PeteCresswell)

I'd like to put together an XP box for somebody to use mainly for
just email, web browsing, and Skype.

I've got an old ATX case/power supply.

Northbridge chip in said case's P4P800-E went up in smoke some
years back. Bought a used P4P800-E from some guy in China, but I
wasn't able to get it off the ground.

Given the CPU and memory are OK, can somebody recommend a
currently-available board that would use the same CPU/memory?
--
PeteCresswell

(PeteCresswell)

Per (PeteCresswell):
>Northbridge chip in said case's P4P800-E went up in smoke

SHB "Southbridge chip..."
--
PeteCresswell

peter

http://www.geeks.com/products_sc.asp?cat=469

peter

If you find a posting or message from me offensive,inappropriate or
disruptive,please ignore it. If you dont know how to ignore a posting
complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate :-)
"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Per (PeteCresswell):
>Northbridge chip in said case's P4P800-E went up in smoke

SHB "Southbridge chip..."
--
PeteCresswell

(PeteCresswell)

Per peter:
>http://www.geeks.com/products_sc.asp?cat=469
>
>peter

Thanks.

From context I gather:

1) Socket 478 P4 is Socket 478 P4 is Socket 478 P4...
i.e. they take the same CPU.

2) They can all use the same kind of memory.
--
PeteCresswell

Paul

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
> Per peter:
>> http://www.geeks.com/products_sc.asp?cat=469
>>
>> peter

> Thanks.
>
> From context I gather:
>
> 1) Socket 478 P4 is Socket 478 P4 is Socket 478 P4...
> i.e. they take the same CPU.
>
> 2) They can all use the same kind of memory.

2) You check what it says in the advert, for memory
type. Boards could be DDR or DDR2, depending on
vintage. The chipset plays a part in that.

The thing is, there is precious little difference
between S478 and LGA775. LGA775 has more connections
for core power and core ground, based on Intel's
projections about where current flow was going for
processors. They were using the leaky Prescott generation,
as a prediction of future requirements. The reason
I mention that, is to suggest that chipsets used
with LGA775 socket, could just as easily be used
with S478.

So theoretically, you might be able to arrange to use
any Netburst chipset, to run an S478 socket. For example,
you might be able to grab an X48 with DDR3 and connect
it to a S478 processor. But no motherboard manufacturer
is going to consider that as a business case. They wouldn't
sell enough boards to pay for the design engineer's time.

In the page that Peter provided, the Biostar 945GC-M4
is an example. The 945 came after the last group of
S478 chipsets (865, 875) and the description says
that board uses DDR2 memory. If your current memory
in hand is DDR type, you'd need to buy new memory.

Paul

Puddin' Man

On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 20:03:08 -0600, "peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>http://www.geeks.com/products_sc.asp?cat=469

"Geeks" may or may not be a good source. I got one of their "refurb" usb
kb/rodent packages last week, will return it in the next few days.
Shipment was incomplete and the rodent is muy mucho (permanently) dead,
kaput, and "pues muerto".

A search on "478 motherboard" on Ebay yields 1,817 results, some of which
look potentially viable. After I'd speced out a few popular boards, I'd
be inclined to query sellers until I found >= one who sounded like s/he
actually knew what they were selling ...

(PeteCresswell)

Per Puddin' Man:

>"Geeks" may or may not be a good source. I got one of their "refurb" usb
>kb/rodent packages last week, will return it in the next few days.
>Shipment was incomplete and the rodent is muy mucho (permanently) dead,
>kaput, and "pues muerto".

I bought an Intel board from them before seeing your post.

I would agree that they may not be the best source.

To wit:

- The board came with a rudimentary CD, but no manual, no
pinouts, no diagram.... basically no nothing - and, to repeat,
the CD was no prize. I finally doped out the front panel
pinouts by trial and error without frying anything... but
geeze...

- First time I fired it up, a "Gateway" splash screen came up.
Oops.... maybe this board isn't exactly plain-vanilla Intel?

In Geeks' defense, I called their support line and:

- A human being answered

- Said human being spoke and understood standard English

- Said human being was not just reading from a script,
they actually thought the problem through and offered
a workaround.
--
PeteCresswell

(PeteCresswell)

Per (PeteCresswell):
>I called their support line and:

I'm now on the second support call - turns out the SoundMax
drivers will not install.

My money's on the "Gateway" thing.....

Also, support calls take quite a long time on hold. If I didn't
have Skype or something else cheap per minute I'd be
uncomfortable......
--
PeteCresswell

Rob

"(PeteCresswell)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Per (PeteCresswell):
>>I called their support line and:

> I'm now on the second support call - turns out the SoundMax
> drivers will not install.
>
> My money's on the "Gateway" thing.....
>

> Also, support calls take quite a long time on hold. If I didn't
> have Skype or something else cheap per minute I'd be
> uncomfortable......

Intel make OEM versions of various motherboards and these often use
a different onboard sound chip than their non-OEM boards.
You are more likely to find the right driver on the Gateway site.
Can you identify which gateway model it is from?
HTH,
--
Rob

Paul

Rob wrote:
> "(PeteCresswell)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Per (PeteCresswell):
>>> I called their support line and:

>> I'm now on the second support call - turns out the SoundMax
>> drivers will not install.
>>
>> My money's on the "Gateway" thing.....
>>

>> Also, support calls take quite a long time on hold. If I didn't
>> have Skype or something else cheap per minute I'd be
>> uncomfortable......

> Intel make OEM versions of various motherboards and these often use
> a different onboard sound chip than their non-OEM boards.
> You are more likely to find the right driver on the Gateway site.
> Can you identify which gateway model it is from?
> HTH,

If I look at this one, for example, it has a Gateway link for
the drivers.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...CLK-PB&cat=MBB

The Gateway link mentions several flavors of "Midway" motherboard. It
could be an OEM used in a Gateway system.

http://www.support.gateway.com/suppo...&param=2520852

Paul

Will the Corsair XL Pro fit in the AV8 board? void11 Abit 1 11-04-2004 08:08 PM
What models does this system board fit. Jim IBM Thinkpad 1 10-05-2004 08:52 PM
Looking - Looking - Looking R A Matrox 0 07-20-2004 01:15 PM
Does MSI N5900U videocard fit on IC7-MAX3? Chris Abit 0 09-23-2003 05:14 AM
Will this fit? Phil D Abit 2 09-22-2003 02:10 PM