Looking for laptop setup advice

Bob

Hello

I just purchased an off-lease HP Omnibook 6000 on eBay and am expecting it
to arrive in a couple of days. The laptop will have no operating system
installed. The company that sold it to me is a pretty reputable one, so I'm
hoping I didn't get a lemon.

Besides having my copy of Windows 2000 Professional handy, is there anythng
else I should plan on having to do ?

Should I be going to the HP web site and downloading drivers, for instance
?

Anything else ?

Thanks very much for your help.

Tony Hwang

Bob wrote:

> Hello
>
> I just purchased an off-lease HP Omnibook 6000 on eBay and am expecting it
> to arrive in a couple of days. The laptop will have no operating system
> installed. The company that sold it to me is a pretty reputable one, so I'm
> hoping I didn't get a lemon.
>
> Besides having my copy of Windows 2000 Professional handy, is there anythng
> else I should plan on having to do ?
>
> Should I be going to the HP web site and downloading drivers, for instance
> ?
>
> Anything else ?
>
> Thanks very much for your help.

Hi,
Just make sure to get the W2K going, then download all the latest BIOS,
drivers. I'd deal with BIOS and video driver first.
I use W2K Sp4 and Linux on all my boxes.
Works well.
Good luck,
Tony

Joe Davis

Before loading the operating system, I'd try to use the setup tools to
partition the drive, if possible. Otherwise, I'd consider getting a copy of
Partition Magic and creating a second partition for all YOUR files--makes
backing up a lot easier. You can do this at any time, but if you do it
before you load a bunch of stuff, it will go faster.

"Tony Hwang" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Bob wrote:
>
> > Hello
> >
> > I just purchased an off-lease HP Omnibook 6000 on eBay and am expecting

it
> > to arrive in a couple of days. The laptop will have no operating system
> > installed. The company that sold it to me is a pretty reputable one, so

I'm
> > hoping I didn't get a lemon.
> >
> > Besides having my copy of Windows 2000 Professional handy, is there

anythng
> > else I should plan on having to do ?
> >
> > Should I be going to the HP web site and downloading drivers, for

instance
> > ?
> >
> > Anything else ?
> >
> > Thanks very much for your help.

> Hi,
> Just make sure to get the W2K going, then download all the latest BIOS,
> drivers. I'd deal with BIOS and video driver first.
> I use W2K Sp4 and Linux on all my boxes.
> Works well.
> Good luck,
> Tony

Re: cant install drivers "setup did not find compatable drivers......setup will exit" Augustus ATI 0 08-19-2008 05:13 AM
Looking for a laptop, need advice muzzle@gmail.com Laptops 37 02-25-2006 12:27 AM
Looking - Looking - Looking R A Matrox 0 07-20-2004 01:15 PM
Looking for laptop setup advice Bob HP 2 05-02-2004 11:03 PM
Looking for Advice - Desk Monitor to go with laptop rich80105@hotmail.com Dell 0 12-14-2003 05:54 AM