Looking for system stress / burn-in software

PC Guy

I've got a few motherboards that I need to determine their operational
reliability / stability while running XP, so I'm wondering if there is
any free software that can do stress testing or "burn-in" operations for
one or two weeks continuously running under XP. Basically, any software
that can keep a system busy doing stuff until (or if) the system crashes
or locks up. Serial, parallel, network, audio and USB stress testing is
not required.

Anyone know of any such software?

John McGaw

On 9/18/2010 10:31 PM, PC Guy wrote:
> I've got a few motherboards that I need to determine their operational
> reliability / stability while running XP, so I'm wondering if there is
> any free software that can do stress testing or "burn-in" operations for
> one or two weeks continuously running under XP. Basically, any software
> that can keep a system busy doing stuff until (or if) the system crashes
> or locks up. Serial, parallel, network, audio and USB stress testing is
> not required.
>
> Anyone know of any such software?

Any software which runs the CPU(s) at 100% and uses a lot of memory
bandwidth will do what you describe and there are many ways to do it. One
of the simplest, and thus the most popular, programs that fills the bill is
Prime95. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime95

Man-wai Chang

> I've got a few motherboards that I need to determine their operational
> reliability / stability while running XP, so I'm wondering if there is
> any free software that can do stress testing or "burn-in" operations for
> one or two weeks continuously running under XP. Basically, any software
> that can keep a system busy doing stuff until (or if) the system crashes
> or locks up. Serial, parallel, network, audio and USB stress testing is
> not required.

RAM: memtest86
GPU (graphics): 3dMark 2006 or even PCMark Vantage
CPU: I forgot... Everest? SuperPi?

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.35.4

PC Guy

John McGaw wrote:

> > I've got a few motherboards that I need to determine their
> > operational reliability / stability while running XP,

> Any software which runs the CPU(s) at 100% and uses a lot of memory
> bandwidth will do what you describe and there are many ways to do
> it.

I'm looking for software that will basically do something to simulate
the workload that an average human being might perform on a PC. I'm not
really looking to max out the CPU just to test the heatsink of the CPU
or something like that.

I can turn on these PC's and just let them sit there with no app running
for a solid week, but I'd like the PC to be doing something more than
that during that period.

Prime 95 won't (as far as I know) do any hard drive reading / writing,
or do anything graphics related. If I'm not mistaken, it's actually
booted from a floppy and doesn't even run as a Windows GUI program.

PC Guy

Man-wai Chang wrote:

> > I've got a few motherboards that I need to determine their
> > operational reliability / stability while running XP, so I'm
> > wondering if there is any free software that can do stress
> > testing or "burn-in" operations for one or two weeks continuously
> > running under XP.

> RAM: memtest86
> GPU (graphics): 3dMark 2006 or even PCMark Vantage
> CPU: I forgot... Everest? SuperPi?

I want something that I can start and then walk away for several days,
maybe even a week or two, and will keep running until I stop it or the
PC locks up or crashes.

And I want one app, not 2 or 3 that I don't even know can run
concurrently under XP.

What about Sandra? Anyone know anything about that?

Man-wai Chang

> I want something that I can start and then walk away for several days,
> maybe even a week or two, and will keep running until I stop it or the
> PC locks up or crashes.
> And I want one app, not 2 or 3 that I don't even know can run
> concurrently under XP.
>
> What about Sandra? Anyone know anything about that?

Try it then. But I would choose 3dMark even when your graphic card is
not a good one. Just select & run the tests your configuration can handle.

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.35.4
^ ^ 00:03:01 up 23 days 2:10 1 user load average: 1.06 1.08 1.08

John McGaw

On 9/19/2010 11:49 AM, PC Guy wrote:
> John McGaw wrote:
>
>>> I've got a few motherboards that I need to determine their
>>> operational reliability / stability while running XP,

>> Any software which runs the CPU(s) at 100% and uses a lot of memory
>> bandwidth will do what you describe and there are many ways to do
>> it.

> I'm looking for software that will basically do something to simulate
> the workload that an average human being might perform on a PC. I'm not
> really looking to max out the CPU just to test the heatsink of the CPU
> or something like that.
>
> I can turn on these PC's and just let them sit there with no app running
> for a solid week, but I'd like the PC to be doing something more than
> that during that period.
>
> Prime 95 won't (as far as I know) do any hard drive reading / writing,
> or do anything graphics related. If I'm not mistaken, it's actually
> booted from a floppy and doesn't even run as a Windows GUI program.

OK, if that doesn't fit your needs then you could install the BOINC client
and pick some project to participate in. Set the client to use whatever
portion of the CPU capacity, memory, disk etc that you think will emulate a
"normal" use of the computer and let the client run for a couple of weeks.
Pick a project which features a graphics screen saver which illustrates its
progress and the graphics subsystem will be exercised also.

If you want to stress the disk operations you can add on a batch file which
copies files back and forth, zips them, unzips them, compares them,
calculates MD5 codes or whatever your heart desires. Add sleep intervals as
appropriate or let the drive(s) grind at full speed as seems appropriate.

andy

On Sat, 18 Sep 2010 22:31:26 -0400, PC Guy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I've got a few motherboards that I need to determine their operational
>reliability / stability while running XP, so I'm wondering if there is
>any free software that can do stress testing or "burn-in" operations for
>one or two weeks continuously running under XP. Basically, any software
>that can keep a system busy doing stuff until (or if) the system crashes
>or locks up. Serial, parallel, network, audio and USB stress testing is
>not required.
>
>Anyone know of any such software?

Intel Burn Test.

ShadowTek

On 2010-09-19, John McGaw <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> If you want to stress the disk operations you can add on a batch file which
> copies files back and forth, zips them, unzips them, compares them,
> calculates MD5 codes or whatever your heart desires. Add sleep intervals as
> appropriate or let the drive(s) grind at full speed as seems appropriate.

Simply using badblocks sounds a lot less complicated then all of
that.

John McGaw

On 9/19/2010 6:39 PM, ShadowTek wrote:
> On 2010-09-19, John McGaw<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> If you want to stress the disk operations you can add on a batch file which
>> copies files back and forth, zips them, unzips them, compares them,
>> calculates MD5 codes or whatever your heart desires. Add sleep intervals as
>> appropriate or let the drive(s) grind at full speed as seems appropriate.

> Simply using badblocks sounds a lot less complicated then all of
> that.

It depends on what you want to test. Since badblocks is a Linux program and
does a one-time scan of the drive it is hard to see how it is going to
simulate a realistic system load for a week or more under Windows. As for
complicated, writing a BAT file to do some disk activity on a continuing
basis and exercise a system's drive(s) for a long period is pretty simple
and non-threatening.