Looks like it's IBM

IS

I've been shopping like crazy for a new laptop and it looks like IBM is the
only one that can give me all I want.
It comes in at only 4.9 lbs with 14" screen and 64 Mb video un shared and
Intel Centrino. With Win XP Pro.
At 1851 USD.
Beautiful ! ! !

So my question:
How is IBM?
Does it stack up against the other big boys like Dell, H/P, Gateway,
Toshiba, etc.?

Thanks.

IS.

JHEM

IS <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> So my question:
> How is IBM?
> Does it stack up against the other big boys like Dell, H/P, Gateway,
> Toshiba, etc.?

For a PC laptop, IBM is first and _ALL_ the others come in (at best!) a
distant second.

Yes, I'm biased.

http://www.epinions.com/content_124404403844

http://reviews.cnet.com/IBM_ThinkPad...0947059-2.html

Regards,

James

Cleveland Tech

"JHEM" <James@ESAD_SPAMMERS.thinkpads.com> wrote in message
news:8xqUc.7079$(E-Mail Removed)...
> IS <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > So my question:
> > How is IBM?
> > Does it stack up against the other big boys like Dell, H/P, Gateway,
> > Toshiba, etc.?

> For a PC laptop, IBM is first and _ALL_ the others come in (at best!) a
> distant second.
>
> Yes, I'm biased.
>
> http://www.epinions.com/content_124404403844
>
> http://reviews.cnet.com/IBM_ThinkPad...0947059-2.html

> --
> Regards,
>
> James
>
> Checkout the NEW Thinkpad Forums: http://forum.thinkpads.com

I don't think I'm as biased, but I would agree that IBM comes in first, and
anything else would be second.

I've had to support many brands of laptops, and IBM machines always gave us
the least amount of problems, and my experience was that their support was
better.

j647

Does it have a touch pad or that eraser thing? The eraser thing would keep
me away from IBM.
"IS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ThqUc.1626$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> I've been shopping like crazy for a new laptop and it looks like IBM is
> the
> only one that can give me all I want.
> It comes in at only 4.9 lbs with 14" screen and 64 Mb video un shared and
> Intel Centrino. With Win XP Pro.
> At 1851 USD.
> Beautiful ! ! !
>
> So my question:
> How is IBM?
> Does it stack up against the other big boys like Dell, H/P, Gateway,
> Toshiba, etc.?
>
> Thanks.
>
> IS.

Bob

IBM has both the touchpad and eraserhead.In my opinion neither gets in the
way of the other. Use either or......
"j647" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:JjxUc.175171$(E-Mail Removed) r.com...
| Does it have a touch pad or that eraser thing? The eraser thing would keep
| me away from IBM.
| "IS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:ThqUc.1626$(E-Mail Removed) ...
| > I've been shopping like crazy for a new laptop and it looks like IBM is
| > the
| > only one that can give me all I want.
| > It comes in at only 4.9 lbs with 14" screen and 64 Mb video un shared
and
| > Intel Centrino. With Win XP Pro.
| > At 1851 USD.
| > Beautiful ! ! !
| >
| > So my question:
| > How is IBM?
| > Does it stack up against the other big boys like Dell, H/P, Gateway,
| > Toshiba, etc.?
| >
| > Thanks.
| >
| > IS.

IS

It's got both.

Thanks.

IS.

> Does it have a touch pad or that eraser thing? The eraser thing would keep
> me away from IBM.

Sparky

IS wrote:

> I've been shopping like crazy for a new laptop and it looks like IBM is the
> only one that can give me all I want.
> It comes in at only 4.9 lbs with 14" screen and 64 Mb video un shared and
> Intel Centrino. With Win XP Pro.
> At 1851 USD.
> Beautiful ! ! !
>
> So my question:
> How is IBM?
> Does it stack up against the other big boys like Dell, H/P, Gateway,
> Toshiba, etc.?

I like them a lot. My first laptop was a budget i-series (i-1200), which
was fine for my purposes for about 3 years. By 09/2003 I needed more
oomph and got an R40 (2897-54U) with an Intel 1.3 Centrino chip, 512MB
RAM, 15" screen, 40 GB HDD, etc., etc. Cost about $1,500 + an additional
256MB stick of RAM (IBM was running a promotion at the time). It's been
great and is really quick with a 7200RPM HDD. <knocking on wood> Haven't
had a hint of a problem with either.

Ayaz Ahmed Khan

"Cleveland Tech" typed:
> I don't think I'm as biased, but I would agree that IBM comes in first, and
> anything else would be second.
>
> I've had to support many brands of laptops, and IBM machines always gave us
> the least amount of problems, and my experience was that their support was
> better.

Besides, Linux works a treat on IBM laptops. Out of experience, I can
speak for the T21, at the least.

--
Ayaz Ahmed Khan
root@t21:~# rm -rf /mnt/windows/*

Mark E. Daniel

Bob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> IBM has both the touchpad and eraserhead.In my opinion neither gets in the
> way of the other. Use either or......

'eraser pads' are bustable. I will not have another laptop that yses
one. Note I'm sure your milage will vary. Mine is just busted and
useless at present and it seems it would be easier if I had a touchpad.

Benjamin Myklebust

Have a lot of you had problems with the eraserhead on the IBMs (Thinkpads),
or is it just that you don't like to use them. Personally, I'm no big fan of
eraserheads, but the one on my IBM is the one of the better I've tried.

So is it a known problem that these stop working after a while?

Benjamin