Motherboard Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

loose key top

 
 
Lol
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-29-2010, 08:21 AM
So now I know how to get a keycap off - just lift the cat off the keyboard -
his claws do the job.

how do I click it back on? (no. seven key on a T 43).

thanks,


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Tom Rutherford
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-29-2010, 09:25 PM
You don't. I accidentally popped off a cap once. Glad the ThinkPad was
still in warranty. Lenovo sent me a new keyboard.

--
-- 73 DE Tom Rutherford, N8EUJ, Burton, MI
"She said it was either her or the ham radio. Over."


"Lol" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:toJIo.192321$(E-Mail Removed)2...
> So now I know how to get a keycap off - just lift the cat off the
> keyboard - his claws do the job.
>
> how do I click it back on? (no. seven key on a T 43).
>
> thanks,
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Lol
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-30-2010, 10:56 PM

I was lucky - I found I just had to line it up and press firmly and
squarely!
Lol

"Tom Rutherford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:id196m$63l$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> You don't. I accidentally popped off a cap once. Glad the ThinkPad was
> still in warranty. Lenovo sent me a new keyboard.
>
> --
> -- 73 DE Tom Rutherford, N8EUJ, Burton, MI
> "She said it was either her or the ham radio. Over."
>
>
> "Lol" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:toJIo.192321$(E-Mail Removed)2...
>> So now I know how to get a keycap off - just lift the cat off the
>> keyboard - his claws do the job.
>>
>> how do I click it back on? (no. seven key on a T 43).
>>
>> thanks,
>>

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Anthony Campbell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-01-2010, 09:07 AM
On 2010-11-30, Lol <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> I was lucky - I found I just had to line it up and press firmly and
> squarely!
> Lol
>

I thought that was standard on laptop keyboards, I've done it on several
machines without problems, e.g. to clean under the key.


--
Anthony Campbell - (E-Mail Removed)
Microsoft-free zone - Using Debian GNU/Linux
http://www.acampbell.org.uk - sample my ebooks at
http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/acampbell

 
Reply With Quote
 
Tom Rutherford
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-01-2010, 09:41 PM
Whew! Mine came off in four pieces, consisting of the keycap itself, a
couple of odd-shaped plastic pieces (one black and one white), and an
odd-shaped piece of metal. If I'd had an electron microscope and a couple
of nano-manipulators, I might've been able to put it back together, as
nothing was obviously broken.


--
-- 73 DE Tom Rutherford, N8EUJ, Burton, MI
"She said it was either her or the ham radio. Over."


"Lol" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:HifJo.84668$(E-Mail Removed)2...
>
> I was lucky - I found I just had to line it up and press firmly and
> squarely!
> Lol
>
> "Tom Rutherford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:id196m$63l$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> You don't. I accidentally popped off a cap once. Glad the ThinkPad was
>> still in warranty. Lenovo sent me a new keyboard.
>>
>> --
>> -- 73 DE Tom Rutherford, N8EUJ, Burton, MI
>> "She said it was either her or the ham radio. Over."
>>
>>
>> "Lol" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:toJIo.192321$(E-Mail Removed)2...
>>> So now I know how to get a keycap off - just lift the cat off the
>>> keyboard - his claws do the job.
>>>
>>> how do I click it back on? (no. seven key on a T 43).
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>>

>>
>>

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Angelo Campanella
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-02-2010, 06:02 AM

"Tom Rutherford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:id6kuj$vjk$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> Whew! Mine came off in four pieces, consisting of the keycap itself, a
> couple of odd-shaped plastic pieces (one black and one white), and an
> odd-shaped piece of metal. If I'd had an electron microscope and a couple
> of nano-manipulators, I might've been able to put it back together, as
> nothing was obviously broken.


I've experienced several of those events in the last few years.

You really have to scrutinize the details to get anywhere. Sometimes, if
you pull of another similar shaped keycap, you can reverse-engineer the
assembly.But that's very risky because tits are easily broken off. And you
really have to see at a distance of about 4" which calls for + 3.00
reading glasses if you are not really nearsighted (-5.00 bare eyes
preferred).

In short the key support is a "crutch" of a crossed white and black
H-frames with tits, one on each of four bottom corners. This crutch must be
removed from the keycap. Don't loose that keycap! On the keyboard key
position, the white tits go into the slots just below the middle. The black
tits go in the very top slot. The blue silicone elastomer seats inside this
crutch, with its dimple facing a hole on the top of the crutch. Properly
mounted, sans keycap, this is stable and can be pressed down neatly to make
a keystroke.

Plan A: All tits intact and slipped into their respective receiving
slots:

Power down the computer. Next, hold the keycap over the mounted crutch
in proper alignment. Note that there are four tabs inside the keycap, and
four mating slots in the top crutch cross-bars. There is a tint tit at the
center bottom of the keycap that will mate to the hole in the crutch.

Position the cap - centered - over the crutch. Then press downward very
gently as if to make a keystroke, all the while making certain that the
keycap is properly centered in its position in relation to all surrounding
keys. eventually, as you press harder.. wiggling slightly... to several
ounces of pressure, all four keycap tabs will "snap" into their slots,
sometimes one or two at a time.

That's a lucky good reinstallation.

Plan B: You broke one or more tits and the crutch won't stabilize in
place any more.

Ersatz solution: Cut a 2" long piece of 1/2" wide scotch tape,
preferably clear tape. Center the keycap over its rightful key with crutch
pieces in place (no longer tethered by all four tits). Depress the key to
assure that the blue elastomer is entering in the crutch and the keycap
correctly; letter response should be normal before proceeding.

Next, lower the center of the 1/2" wide scotch tape over the center of
the keycap. Center both ways carefully an align with the key row. Press the
tape center to the wounded keycap first. Then make a shallow droop between
the left and right adjacent keys. Then tap the remaining ends of the tape
onto the adjacent keys right and left.

The wounded keycap won't be lost, typing will be almost normal, and you
will then have a "vintage" keyboard. Right now, I have FIVE keys just like
that!

Angelo Campanella, W8EDR.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Tom Rutherford
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-04-2010, 08:11 PM

"Angelo Campanella" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:id7cq3$uqe$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>
> "Tom Rutherford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:id6kuj$vjk$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> Whew! Mine came off in four pieces, consisting of the keycap itself, a
>> couple of odd-shaped plastic pieces (one black and one white), and an
>> odd-shaped piece of metal. If I'd had an electron microscope and a
>> couple of nano-manipulators, I might've been able to put it back
>> together, as nothing was obviously broken.

>
> I've experienced several of those events in the last few years.
>
> You really have to scrutinize the details to get anywhere. Sometimes,
> if you pull of another similar shaped keycap, you can reverse-engineer the
> assembly.But that's very risky because tits are easily broken off. And you
> really have to see at a distance of about 4" which calls for + 3.00
> reading glasses if you are not really nearsighted (-5.00 bare eyes
> preferred).
>
> In short the key support is a "crutch" of a crossed white and black
> H-frames with tits, one on each of four bottom corners. This crutch must
> be removed from the keycap. Don't loose that keycap! On the keyboard key
> position, the white tits go into the slots just below the middle. The
> black tits go in the very top slot. The blue silicone elastomer seats
> inside this crutch, with its dimple facing a hole on the top of the
> crutch. Properly mounted, sans keycap, this is stable and can be pressed
> down neatly to make a keystroke.
>
> Plan A: All tits intact and slipped into their respective receiving
> slots:
>
> Power down the computer. Next, hold the keycap over the mounted crutch
> in proper alignment. Note that there are four tabs inside the keycap, and
> four mating slots in the top crutch cross-bars. There is a tint tit at the
> center bottom of the keycap that will mate to the hole in the crutch.
>
> Position the cap - centered - over the crutch. Then press downward very
> gently as if to make a keystroke, all the while making certain that the
> keycap is properly centered in its position in relation to all surrounding
> keys. eventually, as you press harder.. wiggling slightly... to several
> ounces of pressure, all four keycap tabs will "snap" into their slots,
> sometimes one or two at a time.
>
> That's a lucky good reinstallation.


I don't think I had any broken tits, but good Gawd, I'd just as soon pay my
$50 or whatever a new keyboard costs, and replace the whole thing, if the
machine is out of warranty.

> Plan B: You broke one or more tits and the crutch won't stabilize in
> place any more.
>
> Ersatz solution: Cut a 2" long piece of 1/2" wide scotch tape,
> preferably clear tape. Center the keycap over its rightful key with crutch
> pieces in place (no longer tethered by all four tits). Depress the key to
> assure that the blue elastomer is entering in the crutch and the keycap
> correctly; letter response should be normal before proceeding.
>
> Next, lower the center of the 1/2" wide scotch tape over the center of
> the keycap. Center both ways carefully an align with the key row. Press
> the tape center to the wounded keycap first. Then make a shallow droop
> between the left and right adjacent keys. Then tap the remaining ends of
> the tape onto the adjacent keys right and left.
>
> The wounded keycap won't be lost, typing will be almost normal, and you
> will then have a "vintage" keyboard. Right now, I have FIVE keys just like
> that!


As long as it works, that's all that matters. Sounds like it'll eventually
fail, though, and you're back to squinting and swearing again. :-)

--
-- 73 DE Tom Rutherford, N8EUJ, Burton, MI
"She said it was either her or the ham radio. Over."



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Loose key on Dell laptop Yuri Dell 5 09-01-2012 05:36 AM
Loose key on laptop keyboard Yuri Laptops 1 07-14-2012 10:11 PM
Re: loose key on dell laptop Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries Dell 0 06-13-2009 03:28 AM
Re: loose key on dell laptop Boris Dell 0 06-13-2009 01:15 AM
Re: loose key on dell laptop vbDavidC Dell 0 06-12-2009 09:44 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:52 AM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment