LOST DESKTOP AND START MENU ICONS

Scotty

I have a Dell 8400 with Windows XP SP2 and this morning while doing
something on the internet, I lost all the desktop icons. All that showed
were the names, but you could click and it would open the associated file or
program. When I restarted the computer all the icons, with the exception of
the folders and WinAmp were the generic icons and not the unique ones that
each program has. I tried System Restore and that has no effect on the
icons. This effects only the desktop and Start menu ones because if go into
the programs listing and look all the lower tier icons are there and look
right.

What is the problem and what do I need to do to fix this. I'm guessing that
there is some folder where all these icons are stored. I tried to have it
refresh the icons and that has no effect.

Thanks,
Scotty

georgie

Scotty wrote:
> snip...
> What is the problem and what do I need to do to fix this. I'm guessing that
> there is some folder where all these icons are stored. I tried to have it
> refresh the icons and that has no effect.
>
> Thanks,
> Scotty

You could try deleting the file IconCache.db
http://www.smartcomputing.com/editor...9l06/39l06.asp

I've also seen a similar problem fixed (but OS was Win ME) by
right-click desktop, choose active desktop, choose large size icons,
reboot, and then go back and choose normal smaller size icons.

georgie

Scotty

Well the funny part is it is gradually fixing itself over a period of time.
Right now I have half of the icons back, but it is piecemeal at how it is
doing it. I've tinkered with some of the setting in the Control Panel and
noticed that any new icons are correctly shown on the desktop. It just
might take a long time to do all of them.

Scotty

"georgie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Scotty wrote:
>
> You could try deleting the file IconCache.db
> http://www.smartcomputing.com/editor...9l06/39l06.asp
>
> I've also seen a similar problem fixed (but OS was Win ME) by
> right-click desktop, choose active desktop, choose large size icons,
> reboot, and then go back and choose normal smaller size icons.
>
> georgie

You can restore the "My computer icon" and others to your desktop by going
to "my computer" in the start menu and right clicking on them and selecting
"show on desktop"

"Scotty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:J7Lyg.265$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a Dell 8400 with Windows XP SP2 and this morning while doing
>something on the internet, I lost all the desktop icons. All that showed
>were the names, but you could click and it would open the associated file
>or program. When I restarted the computer all the icons, with the
>exception of the folders and WinAmp were the generic icons and not the
>unique ones that each program has. I tried System Restore and that has no
>effect on the icons. This effects only the desktop and Start menu ones
>because if go into the programs listing and look all the lower tier icons
>are there and look right.
>
> What is the problem and what do I need to do to fix this. I'm guessing
> that there is some folder where all these icons are stored. I tried to
> have it refresh the icons and that has no effect.
>
> Thanks,
> Scotty

Scotty Silton

I actually tried this because I thought that would restore them. What it
did was hide and unhide all the desktop icons. What finally fixed the
problem was going under "Display Properties" then 'Appearance' and then
'Effects...' and enable 'Use large icons' and then click 'OK'. That
restored all the desktop and Start menu icon in Large. Then you repeat the
process and disable the large icons and click okay and then apply and your
good to go. The only bad thing was the order was scattered now because of
my desktop icon settings.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:ALLyg.717$jt.95@trnddc04...
> You can restore the "My computer icon" and others to your desktop by going
> to "my computer" in the start menu and right clicking on them and
> selecting "show on desktop"

Scotty Silton

What finally fixed the problem was going under "Display Properties" then
'Appearance' and then 'Effects...' and enable 'Use large icons' and then
click 'OK'. That restored all the desktop and Start menu icon in Large.
Then you repeat the process and disable the large icons and click okay and
then apply and your good to go. The only bad thing was the order was
scattered now because of my desktop icon settings.

Thanks for your suggestion since that did work, just differently.

Scotty

"georgie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Scotty wrote:
>> snip...
>> What is the problem and what do I need to do to fix this. I'm guessing
>> that
>> there is some folder where all these icons are stored. I tried to have
>> it
>> refresh the icons and that has no effect.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Scotty

> You could try deleting the file IconCache.db
> http://www.smartcomputing.com/editor...9l06/39l06.asp
>
> I've also seen a similar problem fixed (but OS was Win ME) by
> right-click desktop, choose active desktop, choose large size icons,
> reboot, and then go back and choose normal smaller size icons.
>
> georgie

S.Lewis

"Scotty Silton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:BoMyg.1677$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I actually tried this because I thought that would restore them. What it
>did was hide and unhide all the desktop icons. What finally fixed the
>problem was going under "Display Properties" then 'Appearance' and then
>'Effects...' and enable 'Use large icons' and then click 'OK'. That
>restored all the desktop and Start menu icon in Large. Then you repeat the
>process and disable the large icons and click okay and then apply and your
>good to go. The only bad thing was the order was scattered now because of
>my desktop icon settings.

I suspect you'll see this again, and I wonder if the system resources aren't
being taxed to a point that the icons are very slow in refreshing themselves
and their associations.

Sparky Spartacus

Scotty Silton wrote:
> What finally fixed the problem was going under "Display Properties" then
> 'Appearance' and then 'Effects...' and enable 'Use large icons' and then
> click 'OK'. That restored all the desktop and Start menu icon in Large.
> Then you repeat the process and disable the large icons and click okay and
> then apply and your good to go. The only bad thing was the order was
> scattered now because of my desktop icon settings.

IIRC TweakUI (a Microsoft Powertoy) has a "Rebuild Icons" option, which
might have been the optimal fix.

Hank Arnold

That was going to be my recommendation. A "must have" in ones
toolbox........

Regards,
Hank Arnold

Sparky Spartacus wrote:
> Scotty Silton wrote:
>> What finally fixed the problem was going under "Display Properties"
>> then 'Appearance' and then 'Effects...' and enable 'Use large icons'
>> and then click 'OK'. That restored all the desktop and Start menu
>> icon in Large. Then you repeat the process and disable the large icons
>> and click okay and then apply and your good to go. The only bad thing
>> was the order was scattered now because of my desktop icon settings.

> IIRC TweakUI (a Microsoft Powertoy) has a "Rebuild Icons" option, which
> might have been the optimal fix.

Rich

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 12:54:10 -0400, "Scotty Silton"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>What finally fixed the problem was going under "Display Properties" then
>'Appearance' and then 'Effects...' and enable 'Use large icons' and then
>click 'OK'. That restored all the desktop and Start menu icon in Large.
>Then you repeat the process and disable the large icons and click okay and
>then apply and your good to go. The only bad thing was the order was
>scattered now because of my desktop icon settings.
>
>Thanks for your suggestion since that did work, just differently.
>
>Scotty
>
>"georgie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> Scotty wrote:
>>> snip...
>>> What is the problem and what do I need to do to fix this. I'm guessing
>>> that
>>> there is some folder where all these icons are stored. I tried to have
>>> it
>>> refresh the icons and that has no effect.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Scotty

>> You could try deleting the file IconCache.db
>> http://www.smartcomputing.com/editor...9l06/39l06.asp
>>
>> I've also seen a similar problem fixed (but OS was Win ME) by
>> right-click desktop, choose active desktop, choose large size icons,
>> reboot, and then go back and choose normal smaller size icons.
>>
>> georgie

glad you got them back, scottie. i found, installed and use a
freeware piece called 'icon restore' that allows me to save the icon
layout and recall same if needed. works fine on my XP PROsp2 box.

<http://users.rcn.com/taylotr/icon_restore.html>
<http://www.download.com/3000-2347-10163500.html>

73,
rich, n9dko

How to remove menu bar icons ? cab Apple 4 01-31-2007 07:53 PM
After 10.4.4 install, lost my desktop icons fishfry Apple 3 02-06-2006 06:18 AM
Start Menu Icons jimrx4 Gateway 1 04-05-2005 12:00 AM
Weird problem: application icons over-laid with hard-drive icons Mike Schneider IBM 2 02-08-2005 05:04 AM
Lost My Desktop Icons after upgrading to 10.3.5 wbnjr Apple 4 11-10-2004 03:00 AM