Loud buzzing when SB Live hooked up to receiver

Nick

I wanted to hook up my PC with an original Sound Blaster Live! to my
Technics receiver, but when I do, I get a loud buzzing sound coming from
the speakers, no matter what input is selected on the receiver. I
thought it was the cables I was using so I bought some shielded cables
which helped a little, but not much.

What I'm wondering here is what is the root cause of this problem. The
card, like I mentioned, is a very old, original SB Live! The receiver is
a cheap Technics SA-EX300. Any ideas on what the failing element is here?

CJT

Nick wrote:

> I wanted to hook up my PC with an original Sound Blaster Live! to my
> Technics receiver, but when I do, I get a loud buzzing sound coming from
> the speakers, no matter what input is selected on the receiver. I
> thought it was the cables I was using so I bought some shielded cables
> which helped a little, but not much.
>
> What I'm wondering here is what is the root cause of this problem. The
> card, like I mentioned, is a very old, original SB Live! The receiver is
> a cheap Technics SA-EX300. Any ideas on what the failing element is here?

The problem is likely that the safety ground to your computer has
somehow been compromised. You have it plugged into a three-prong
outlet (assuming you're in the U.S.), right?

There is also the possibility of a ground loop. Disconnect your cable
TV box (if it's connected to the stereo) and try plugging the computer
into the same outlet the stereo is plugged into.

Avidous

I remember having the same problem with my SB Live 5.1 and Audigy. It did it
with both my basic surround sound speakers and my receiver. I tried to go
via the Optical output, and that helped a little, but I did end up replacing
the mainboard (the onboard audio was causing feedback).

"CJT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Nick wrote:
>
> > I wanted to hook up my PC with an original Sound Blaster Live! to my
> > Technics receiver, but when I do, I get a loud buzzing sound coming from
> > the speakers, no matter what input is selected on the receiver. I
> > thought it was the cables I was using so I bought some shielded cables
> > which helped a little, but not much.
> >
> > What I'm wondering here is what is the root cause of this problem. The
> > card, like I mentioned, is a very old, original SB Live! The receiver is
> > a cheap Technics SA-EX300. Any ideas on what the failing element is

here?

> The problem is likely that the safety ground to your computer has
> somehow been compromised. You have it plugged into a three-prong
> outlet (assuming you're in the U.S.), right?
>
> There is also the possibility of a ground loop. Disconnect your cable
> TV box (if it's connected to the stereo) and try plugging the computer
> into the same outlet the stereo is plugged into.

Reddy

I had the same problem and it drove me absolutely nuts trying to find a
solution about three years ago. Computer was wired into my receiver that
was also wired up to the home theatre, TV, the works. When I unplugged my
cablevision it stopped. Had the cable guy out, talked to stereo people, AV
installers etc etc no luck.

The $15 solution was at radio shack called a ground loop isolator. They are
common solutions found at car audio suppliers as well. Got one upstairs and
downstairs and not a peep.

I ended up finding the solution (after a lot of searching and frustration)
on the internet at someguys website related to audio problems. Bless this
man!

I'll put money down that this will fix your problem. Age of the card or the
stereo is not the problem.

good luck!

news:hCoUa.2200$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> I wanted to hook up my PC with an original Sound Blaster Live! to my
> Technics receiver, but when I do, I get a loud buzzing sound coming from
> the speakers, no matter what input is selected on the receiver. I
> thought it was the cables I was using so I bought some shielded cables
> which helped a little, but not much.
>
> What I'm wondering here is what is the root cause of this problem. The
> card, like I mentioned, is a very old, original SB Live! The receiver is
> a cheap Technics SA-EX300. Any ideas on what the failing element is here?

Marq

What is a ground loop isolator? I don't have a radio shack where I live.
What does it look like/what does it do?

"Reddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:981Wa.14389$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> I had the same problem and it drove me absolutely nuts trying to find a
> solution about three years ago. Computer was wired into my receiver that
> was also wired up to the home theatre, TV, the works. When I unplugged my
> cablevision it stopped. Had the cable guy out, talked to stereo people,

AV
> installers etc etc no luck.
>
> The $15 solution was at radio shack called a ground loop isolator. They

are
> common solutions found at car audio suppliers as well. Got one upstairs

and
> downstairs and not a peep.
>
> I ended up finding the solution (after a lot of searching and frustration)
> on the internet at someguys website related to audio problems. Bless this
> man!
>
> I'll put money down that this will fix your problem. Age of the card or

the
> stereo is not the problem.
>
> good luck!
>
> "Nick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:hCoUa.2200$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> > I wanted to hook up my PC with an original Sound Blaster Live! to my
> > Technics receiver, but when I do, I get a loud buzzing sound coming from
> > the speakers, no matter what input is selected on the receiver. I
> > thought it was the cables I was using so I bought some shielded cables
> > which helped a little, but not much.
> >
> > What I'm wondering here is what is the root cause of this problem. The
> > card, like I mentioned, is a very old, original SB Live! The receiver is
> > a cheap Technics SA-EX300. Any ideas on what the failing element is

here?

Snowbat

http://www.radioshack.com/searchplus...agetype=toggle

You might get one at http://www.rsonline.de/ or a similar store.