M6811 Memory Upgrade Results

CS

Update to my 12/21 post.

Disassembled Emachines M6811 laptop for access to the 'hidden' memory slot
under the keyboard.

Removed old RAM, installed new RAM, reassembed laptop, tested, everything
works.

Followed up with a faster hard drive, fresh install of Windows XP, and a few
runs of Scandisk and AVG scans.

As I predicted, it was a big PITA. If I had to do it over, I would have
sent the dang thing to Gateway (who now owns Emachines) and had them do it.
I'm no rookie, but the deeper I got into this thing, the more annoyed I
became. Towards the end my impatience won out and I just slapped everything
together, with 6 'extra' screws, but no extra parts. heh

I'm not going to sweat this too much. This laptop is for guests, namely
relatives who come over for a few days and need their 'own' computer for
installing virus/spyware/bloatware/crapware on. Last time they used mine
and caused a big mess.

Anyway, the laptop runs nice and fast. Job Done.

CS

Postman Delivers

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 14:25:24 -0800, CS wrote:

> Update to my 12/21 post.
>
> Disassembled Emachines M6811 laptop for access to the 'hidden' memory
> slot under the keyboard.
>
> Removed old RAM, installed new RAM, reassembed laptop, tested,
> everything works.
>
> Followed up with a faster hard drive, fresh install of Windows XP, and a
> few runs of Scandisk and AVG scans.
>
> As I predicted, it was a big PITA. If I had to do it over, I would have
> sent the dang thing to Gateway (who now owns Emachines) and had them do
> it. I'm no rookie, but the deeper I got into this thing, the more
> annoyed I became. Towards the end my impatience won out and I just
> slapped everything together, with 6 'extra' screws, but no extra parts.
> heh
>
> I'm not going to sweat this too much. This laptop is for guests, namely
> relatives who come over for a few days and need their 'own' computer for
> installing virus/spyware/bloatware/crapware on. Last time they used
> mine and caused a big mess.
>
> Anyway, the laptop runs nice and fast. Job Done.
>
> CS

* * *
CS,

Thanks for letting us know adding the extra memory worked well, guess the
hidden memory chip was not not soldered as you indicated it could have
been...

Guess that was a wonderful discovery... You know you could add linux to
the system, make it a dual booting system, and not have the danger, bloat
or malware if they just want to surf the web, check their online-mail,
and print...

Tis great to have the feed back, so often the poster does not follow
up... How much memory is it sporting now?

JR the postman

CS

"Postman Delivers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:LCcij.9303$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 14:25:24 -0800, CS wrote:
>
>> Update to my 12/21 post.
>>
>> Disassembled Emachines M6811 laptop for access to the 'hidden' memory
>> slot under the keyboard.
>>
>> Removed old RAM, installed new RAM, reassembed laptop, tested,
>> everything works.
>>
>> Followed up with a faster hard drive, fresh install of Windows XP, and a
>> few runs of Scandisk and AVG scans.
>>
>> As I predicted, it was a big PITA. If I had to do it over, I would have
>> sent the dang thing to Gateway (who now owns Emachines) and had them do
>> it. I'm no rookie, but the deeper I got into this thing, the more
>> annoyed I became. Towards the end my impatience won out and I just
>> slapped everything together, with 6 'extra' screws, but no extra parts.
>> heh
>>
>> I'm not going to sweat this too much. This laptop is for guests, namely
>> relatives who come over for a few days and need their 'own' computer for
>> installing virus/spyware/bloatware/crapware on. Last time they used
>> mine and caused a big mess.
>>
>> Anyway, the laptop runs nice and fast. Job Done.
>>
>> CS

> * * *
> CS,
>
> Thanks for letting us know adding the extra memory worked well, guess the
> hidden memory chip was not not soldered as you indicated it could have
> been...

Nope. Just a standard RAM slot, hidden under a bunch of stuff.

> Guess that was a wonderful discovery... You know you could add linux to
> the system, make it a dual booting system, and not have the danger, bloat
> or malware if they just want to surf the web, check their online-mail,
> and print...

They wouldn't need to install anything to do that, however, they do like
their Yahoo tool bars, IRC clients, funky games, and various chat programs.

> Tis great to have the feed back, so often the poster does not follow
> up... How much memory is it sporting now?

Two gigs of sweet Transcend RAM!

CS

M6811 Memory Upgrade CS Gateway 6 12-23-2007 05:44 PM
Re: Memory Upgrade results in No Video; Cleared CMOS..still not booting & no video mary Compaq 2 04-08-2004 07:35 PM
Re: Memory Upgrade results in No Video; Cleared CMOS..still not booting & no video mary Compaq 2 04-02-2004 05:34 PM
OC'ing and memory and misc results Destroy AMD Overclocking 4 02-28-2004 08:03 PM
K7N2 Delta-L Poor memory results with dual channel, please help ! Jean MSI 8 09-11-2003 04:53 AM