m8cutills on Linux

Eric

I installed the m8cutills on my fedora 5 linux computer at home.

ran "make Install" in the main directory

and ran "make tests" in the main directory and everything passed.

My problem is I tried to run the m8cas assembler from command line and
I can't get it to work. I copied the blink.asm file that is in the
"sim" directory into the "as" directory and typed "m8cas -b blink.asm"
on the command line and all I get is "m8cas not found" errors.

The m8cas executable is in the "as" folder, but I'm not having much
luck. I'll be the first to admit I'm not super proficent at Linux, so I
guess it is something dumb I'm doing.

Any Ideas?

Thanks,
Eric

Peter Dickerson

"Eric" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I installed the m8cutills on my fedora 5 linux computer at home.
>
> ran "make Install" in the main directory
>
> and ran "make tests" in the main directory and everything passed.
>
> My problem is I tried to run the m8cas assembler from command line and
> I can't get it to work. I copied the blink.asm file that is in the
> "sim" directory into the "as" directory and typed "m8cas -b blink.asm"
> on the command line and all I get is "m8cas not found" errors.
>
> The m8cas executable is in the "as" folder, but I'm not having much
> luck. I'll be the first to admit I'm not super proficent at Linux, so I
> guess it is something dumb I'm doing.
>
> Any Ideas?

Linux does not run programs in the current directory as a matter of course.
m8cas needs to be executable (test passed, so I guess it is) and you need to
give an explicit path to the executable if the current directory is in the
path (e.g. ./m8cas).

Peter

Eric

Peter,

Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure I tried it from outside the
directory aswell, but I'll give it another try tonight.

Thanks,
Eric

Winston Smith

Eric wrote:
> I installed the m8cutills on my fedora 5 linux computer at home.
>
> ran "make Install" in the main directory
>
> and ran "make tests" in the main directory and everything passed.
>
> My problem is I tried to run the m8cas assembler from command line and
> I can't get it to work. I copied the blink.asm file that is in the
> "sim" directory into the "as" directory and typed "m8cas -b blink.asm"
> on the command line and all I get is "m8cas not found" errors.
>
> The m8cas executable is in the "as" folder, but I'm not having much
> luck. I'll be the first to admit I'm not super proficent at Linux, so I
> guess it is something dumb I'm doing.
>
> Any Ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Eric

"make Install" won't work: Try "make install" instead. You will need
root privileges for this to succeed.

Once installed m8cas will be in the path at /usr/bin/m8cas. You can
verify that with:

$ which m8cas

Then cd to sim/examples and type:

$ m8cas -e -o blink.rom blink.asm

That should work.

Best of luck.

Brian

Eric

Thanks I'll give it a try tonight.

Eric

I got it working!!! I had to rerun "make install" as the root and
everything worked after that.

CBFalconer

Eric wrote:

> I got it working!!! I had to rerun "make install" as the root and
> everything worked after that.

It doesn't really matter this time, but in general you need to
quote enough to make your article stand by itself. See the
following sig,

--
If you want to post a followup via groups.google.com, ensure
you quote enough for the article to make sense. Google is only