Michelle Steiner

After reading this article (which is funny in and of itself)
<http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20100327/COLUMNIST/100329716>

I googled images of Megan Barnes mugshot. The first hit I got was for a
picture at mediacenter2u.co.cc, and as soon as I got to that site, Safari
automatically downloaded a Mac trojan installer. It's the one that made
news recently.

I had enough sense not to install it.

--
Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

SY

Michelle Steiner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> After reading this article (which is funny in and of itself)
> <http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20100327/COLUMNIST/100329716>
>
> I googled images of Megan Barnes mugshot. The first hit I got was for a
> picture at mediacenter2u.co.cc, and as soon as I got to that site, Safari
> automatically downloaded a Mac trojan installer. It's the one that made
> news recently.
>
> I had enough sense not to install it.

Probably...

http://blog.intego.com/2011/05/06/ho...nd-why-you-sho
uld-care/

SK.

Paul Sture

In article <4dc4dcf6$0$4443$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl >,
SY <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
> Michelle Steiner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > After reading this article (which is funny in and of itself)
> > <http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20100327/COLUMNIST/100329716>
> >
> > I googled images of Megan Barnes mugshot. The first hit I got was for a
> > picture at mediacenter2u.co.cc, and as soon as I got to that site, Safari
> > automatically downloaded a Mac trojan installer. It's the one that made
> > news recently.
> >
> > I had enough sense not to install it.

> Probably...
>
> <http://blog.intego.com/2011/05/06/how-seo-poisoning-works-and-why-you-should-care/>

From that link:

"If you use the Firefox web browser, you should consider installing the
NoScript add-on, which blocks JavaScript * the main way these attacks
are carried out * but allows you to load it, if necessary, for any web
sites you trust.

Unfortunately, there is no such tool for Safari. You can fully turn off
JavaScript in Safari, though this may block access to certain web sites.
To do this, go to the programıs Security preferences, and uncheck Enable
JavaScript."

An easier way to block Javascript in Safari is to enable the Development
menu:

Safari Preferences -> Advanced -> and check "Show Development menu in
menu bar".

You can then toggle Javascript on and off at will. Don't forget to turn
it off after you are done with it for it is global and applies to all
Safari tabs and windows open, and the current setting wil stick across a
quit and restart of Safari.

--
Paul Sture

Salmon Egg

Michelle Steiner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> After reading this article (which is funny in and of itself)
> <http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20100327/COLUMNIST/100329716>
>
> I googled images of Megan Barnes mugshot. The first hit I got was for a
> picture at mediacenter2u.co.cc, and as soon as I got to that site, Safari
> automatically downloaded a Mac trojan installer. It's the one that made
> news recently.
>
> I had enough sense not to install it.

I think this may be the same malware I ran into here earlier. It tries
to palm itself off as a legitimate antivirus program MacDefender.
Although I have received some ideas on how to handle it, it still is a
pain. It is difficult to leave gracefully. I have had to force quit.That
leaves behind the download installation package.

It would be good if Apple modified Safari to preven or at least warning
before connecting to malevolent links. There should be a way of
interrupting the process and adding the bad link to a do-not-link-list.

bill

--
If inflation is under control, why is my dollar now worth only 2˘ of my youth?

I considered huge valuegains for electronics.

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Salmon Egg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> It would be good if Apple modified Safari to preven or at least warning
> before connecting to malevolent links. There should be a way of
> interrupting the process and adding the bad link to a do-not-link-list.

or just disable open safe files. why is that enabled by default????
that's just asking for trouble.

Alan Browne

On 2011-05-06 17:25 , Michelle Steiner wrote:
> After reading this article (which is funny in and of itself)
> <http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20100327/COLUMNIST/100329716>
>
> I googled images of Megan Barnes mugshot. The first hit I got was for a
> picture at mediacenter2u.co.cc, and as soon as I got to that site, Safari
> automatically downloaded a Mac trojan installer. It's the one that made
> news recently.
>
> I had enough sense not to install it.

Oh come on! Be a lab for us!

--
gmail originated posts filtered due to spam.

Alan Browne

On 2011-05-06 17:25 , Michelle Steiner wrote:
> After reading this article (which is funny in and of itself)
> <http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20100327/COLUMNIST/100329716>

Worth a read.

> I googled images of Megan Barnes mugshot. The first hit I got was for a
> picture at mediacenter2u.co.cc, and as soon as I got to that site, Safari
> automatically downloaded a Mac trojan installer. It's the one that made
> news recently.
>
> I had enough sense not to install it.

Which photo? - I want to see if Chrome will DL it.

I don't see a "Megan Barnes" there. And after reading the article, not
sure I do.

On 2011-05-07 01:47 , SY wrote:
> In article<(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
> Michelle Steiner<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> After reading this article (which is funny in and of itself)
>> <http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20100327/COLUMNIST/100329716>
>>
>> I googled images of Megan Barnes mugshot. The first hit I got was for a
>> picture at mediacenter2u.co.cc, and as soon as I got to that site, Safari
>> automatically downloaded a Mac trojan installer. It's the one that made
>> news recently.
>>
>> I had enough sense not to install it.

> Probably...
>
> http://blog.intego.com/2011/05/06/ho...nd-why-you-sho
> uld-care/

It may be time that those who have poor self defense skills start

Alan Browne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > I had enough sense not to install it.

> Which photo? - I want to see if Chrome will DL it.
>
> I don't see a "Megan Barnes" there. And after reading the article, not
> sure I do.

Navigate to <http://images.google.com>, then enter "megan barnes mugshot"
in the search field. On my system, the first picture is the one that gets
you the trojan; its name is "MacProtector.mpkg".

On my system, Chrome downloaded it, but did not automatically unzip it.

--
Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

Michelle Steiner

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Alan Browne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > I googled images of Megan Barnes mugshot. The first hit I got was for a
> > picture at mediacenter2u.co.cc, and as soon as I got to that site, Safari
> > automatically downloaded a Mac trojan installer. It's the one that made
> > news recently.
> >
> > I had enough sense not to install it.

> Oh come on! Be a lab for us!

I am not a lab. I'm not a shepherd. I'm not a retriever. Some have
called me a pit bull, though, but I'm not that either.

--
Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as