Macs get attacked by malware

RnR

Interesting to say the least in view of the back and forth posts about
macs vs pcs here years ago. I'm not going to bash macs (I know some
prefer them to pcs) but anyone who tells me macs don't get malware,
needs to get educated.

Bob_Villa

On Thursday, April 5, 2012 8:44:26 AM UTC-5, RnR wrote:
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17623422
>

> Interesting to say the least in view of the back and forth posts about
> macs vs pcs here years ago. I'm not going to bash macs (I know some
> prefer them to pcs) but anyone who tells me macs don't get malware,
> needs to get educated.

Ever notice (for the most part) Linux people aren't as smug as Apple user's?

(Unless you attack their OS directly!)

Daddy

Are you related to Rip Van Winkle?

Daddy

On 4/5/2012 9:44 AM, RnR wrote:
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17623422
>

> Interesting to say the least in view of the back and forth posts about
> macs vs pcs here years ago. I'm not going to bash macs (I know some
> prefer them to pcs) but anyone who tells me macs don't get malware,
> needs to get educated.

drek

On Thu, 05 Apr 2012 08:44:26 -0500, "RnR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
<(E-Mail Removed)>:

>http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17623422
>

>Interesting to say the least in view of the back and forth posts about
>macs vs pcs here years ago. I'm not going to bash macs (I know some
>prefer them to pcs) but anyone who tells me macs don't get malware,
>needs to get educated.

John Norstad would be a place to start. Better known in UseNet as author
of NewsWatcher, the base for MT-Newswatcher and YA-Newswatcher which are
still in use, he coded some of the first AV for Mac.

He stopped the 10 year development on his antiviral program Disinfectant
citing a lack of resources to deal with the new Microsoft macro virus.
That was in 1998.

"During the summer and fall of 1988, the virus problem began to get
worse on the Mac. More viruses appeared, and they began to spread
widely. We had our first outbreaks at NU*. The press was all abuzz about
the problem, and industry pundits were making dire predictions of the
death of personal computing. Everyone was in a state of panic.
Misinformation about viruses outweighed accurate facts by a factor of
100 to 1."

*Northwest University
http://www.norstad.org/disinfectant-retire.txt
http://www.norstad.org/autobiography.html

Justin

On 4/5/2012 9:44 AM, RnR wrote:
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17623422
>

> Interesting to say the least in view of the back and forth posts about
> macs vs pcs here years ago. I'm not going to bash macs (I know some
> prefer them to pcs) but anyone who tells me macs don't get malware,
> needs to get educated.

The difference is, the user has to install the maleware on the Mac. in
WIndows, one false click in IE or even Firefix, that stuff is installed.
Also, the fact that alot of malware is bundled with things like 7zip,
Paint.net and various other programs. The user is tricked into
installing. None of that on OSX.

Bob_Villa

On Sunday, May 27, 2012 1:29:11 PM UTC-5, Justin wrote:

> The difference is, the user has to install the maleware on the Mac. in
> WIndows, one false click in IE or even Firefix, that stuff is installed.
> Also, the fact that alot of malware is bundled with things like 7zip,
> Paint.net and various other programs. The user is tricked into
> installing. None of that on OSX.

Also, the average Mac using is not so savvy. (I'm not saying the average PC user is though) They just find it more "user" friendly.