Mainboard recommendation Please

cperficio@gmail.com

I have inherited a XEON processor. 3.6ghz w 800mhz FSB from a Dell
Precision computer.

I need a recommendation for a modestly priced motherboard that will
use this CPU. I'd like to run XP on it as a Workstation instead of
using it as a server.

Help is appreciated.

Paul

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I have inherited a XEON processor. 3.6ghz w 800mhz FSB from a Dell
> Precision computer.
>
> I need a recommendation for a modestly priced motherboard that will
> use this CPU. I'd like to run XP on it as a Workstation instead of
> using it as a server.
>
> Help is appreciated.

There are probably a couple of ways of narrowing it down.

The Dell motherboard probably used a certain chipset,
and perhaps that chipset would make a nice search term.
Something like E7525 or E7520. There are at least several models
of Precision, so there are several possibilities on chipsets.
It is more likely, that the same chipset would be compatible.

A second thing that would help, is the socket type.
Xeons came in socket 604, while more recent ones are LGA771.
So you want a socket match for sure.

I notice as well, there are Xeons of that description,
with 1MB L2 or 2MB L2 cache.

Using the processor descriptive terms, and visiting a
CPUSupport page of a motherboard manufacturer, you might
have more luck finding a board. For example, Tyan
has made the occasional single socket motherboard for
the Xeon, in an ATX form factor. For stuff other
than Tyan or SuperMicro, you might want to start with
the chipset as a search term, to dig more stuff up.

I would have started at http://processorfinder.intel.com and
see how many different 3.6GHz Xeons there are, but the site is
not working right now. I'm not getting a response. So it is
a little hard to advise further, without a list of the possibilities
on hand.

Paul

Paul

Paul wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> I have inherited a XEON processor. 3.6ghz w 800mhz FSB from a Dell
>> Precision computer.
>>
>> I need a recommendation for a modestly priced motherboard that will
>> use this CPU. I'd like to run XP on it as a Workstation instead of
>> using it as a server.
>>
>> Help is appreciated.
>>

> There are probably a couple of ways of narrowing it down.
>
> The Dell motherboard probably used a certain chipset,
> and perhaps that chipset would make a nice search term.
> Something like E7525 or E7520. There are at least several models
> of Precision, so there are several possibilities on chipsets.
> It is more likely, that the same chipset would be compatible.
>
> A second thing that would help, is the socket type.
> Xeons came in socket 604, while more recent ones are LGA771.
> So you want a socket match for sure.
>
> I notice as well, there are Xeons of that description,
> with 1MB L2 or 2MB L2 cache.
>
> Using the processor descriptive terms, and visiting a
> CPUSupport page of a motherboard manufacturer, you might
> have more luck finding a board. For example, Tyan
> has made the occasional single socket motherboard for
> the Xeon, in an ATX form factor. For stuff other
> than Tyan or SuperMicro, you might want to start with
> the chipset as a search term, to dig more stuff up.
>
> I would have started at http://processorfinder.intel.com and
> see how many different 3.6GHz Xeons there are, but the site is
> not working right now. I'm not getting a response. So it is
> a little hard to advise further, without a list of the possibilities
> on hand.
>
> Paul

There is an example here. Asus NCT-D, based on E7525 chipset.
Motherboard is 12"x9.8", so only a bit bigger than ATX.
Sockets on this one are socket 604. I think there is some deal
about the cooler bolting to the chassis of the computer case,
rather than the motherboard, so that is one of the issues with
supporting a motherboard like that.

http://www.pugetsystems.com/part_info.php?part=2302

Supported processors are listed here.

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/c...us&model=nct-d

The people over in forums.2cpu.com have probably dealt
with a few systems of that type. And you may find some
information on cooling the processor, on a site like that.
When I search 2cpu.com , I use an external search engine.
That is easier than registering.

Paul

cperficio@gmail.com

On Jul 19, 8:56*pm, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > I have inherited a XEON processor. 3.6ghz w 800mhz FSB from a Dell
> > Precision computer.

> > I need a recommendation for a modestly priced motherboard that will
> > use this CPU. *I'd like to run XP on it as a Workstation instead of
> > using it as a server.

> > Help is appreciated.

> There are probably a couple of ways of narrowing it down.
>
> The Dell motherboard probably used a certain chipset,
> and perhaps that chipset would make a nice search term.
> Something like E7525 or E7520. There are at least several models
> of Precision, so there are several possibilities on chipsets.
> It is more likely, that the same chipset would be compatible.
>
> A second thing that would help, is the socket type.
> Xeons came in socket 604, while more recent ones are LGA771.
> So you want a socket match for sure.
>
> I notice as well, there are Xeons of that description,
> with 1MB L2 or 2MB L2 cache.
>
> Using the processor descriptive terms, and visiting a
> CPUSupport page of a motherboard manufacturer, you might
> have more luck finding a board. For example, Tyan
> has made the occasional single socket motherboard for
> the Xeon, in an ATX form factor. For stuff other
> than Tyan or SuperMicro, you might want to start with
> the chipset as a search term, to dig more stuff up.
>
> I would have started athttp://processorfinder.intel.comand
> see how many different 3.6GHz Xeons there are, but the site is
> not working right now. I'm not getting a response. So it is
> a little hard to advise further, without a list of the possibilities
> on hand.
>
> * * Paul

Hi Paul,
Thanks for replying.
I tried digging around a bit for mobos but I thought I'd reverse
engineer it to save some time and see if someone has blazed the trail
before me.

The processor has 2mb of L2 cache and I'm purdy sure that it's a
socket 604.

MIchael

Paul

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Jul 19, 8:56 pm, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> I have inherited a XEON processor. 3.6ghz w 800mhz FSB from a Dell
>>> Precision computer.
>>> I need a recommendation for a modestly priced motherboard that will
>>> use this CPU. I'd like to run XP on it as a Workstation instead of
>>> using it as a server.
>>> Help is appreciated.

>> There are probably a couple of ways of narrowing it down.
>>
>> The Dell motherboard probably used a certain chipset,
>> and perhaps that chipset would make a nice search term.
>> Something like E7525 or E7520. There are at least several models
>> of Precision, so there are several possibilities on chipsets.
>> It is more likely, that the same chipset would be compatible.
>>
>> A second thing that would help, is the socket type.
>> Xeons came in socket 604, while more recent ones are LGA771.
>> So you want a socket match for sure.
>>
>> I notice as well, there are Xeons of that description,
>> with 1MB L2 or 2MB L2 cache.
>>
>> Using the processor descriptive terms, and visiting a
>> CPUSupport page of a motherboard manufacturer, you might
>> have more luck finding a board. For example, Tyan
>> has made the occasional single socket motherboard for
>> the Xeon, in an ATX form factor. For stuff other
>> than Tyan or SuperMicro, you might want to start with
>> the chipset as a search term, to dig more stuff up.
>>
>> I would have started athttp://processorfinder.intel.comand
>> see how many different 3.6GHz Xeons there are, but the site is
>> not working right now. I'm not getting a response. So it is
>> a little hard to advise further, without a list of the possibilities
>> on hand.
>>
>> Paul

> Hi Paul,
> Thanks for replying.
> I tried digging around a bit for mobos but I thought I'd reverse
> engineer it to save some time and see if someone has blazed the trail
> before me.
>
> The processor has 2mb of L2 cache and I'm purdy sure that it's a
> socket 604.
>
> MIchael

http://www.motherboards.org/mobot/index.html

Set the search engine to "North Bridge" = "E7525 MCH". This is
the list of boards that come back.

Part Number Manufacturer Chipset Form Factor

DJ800 IWill E7525 ICH5R Extended ATX
DN800 IWill E7525 HanceRapids ATX
DN800-L IWill E7525 HanceRapids ATX
DN800-SLI IWill E7525 HanceRapids ATX
NCT-D ASUS E7525 HanceRapids ATX
NCT-DA ASUS E7525 HanceRapids ATX
SE7525GP2 Intel E7525 HanceRapids ATX
Thunder i7525 (S2676) Tyan E7525 ICH5R SSI EEB
Tiger i7525 (S2672) Tyan E7525 ICH5R ATX
X6DA3-G2 Supermicro E7525 ICH5R Extended ATX
X6DA8-G Supermicro E7525 ICH5R Extended ATX
X6DA8-G2 Supermicro E7525 ICH5R Extended ATX
X6DAE-G Supermicro E7525 ICH5R Extended ATX
X6DAE-G2 Supermicro E7525 ICH5R Extended ATX
X6DAi-G Supermicro E7525 HanceRapids Extended ATX
X6DAL-B2 Supermicro E7525 HanceRapids ATX
X6DAL-G Supermicro E7525 HanceRapids ATX
X6DAL-TB2 Supermicro E7525 HanceRapids ATX
X6DAL-TG Supermicro E7525 HanceRapids ATX
X6DAL-XG Supermicro E7525 HanceRapids ATX
X6DAL-XTG Supermicro E7525 HanceRapids ATX
X6DAR-8G Supermicro E7525 ICH5R Extended ATX
X6DAR-iG Supermicro E7525 ICH5R Extended ATX
X6DAT-G Supermicro E7525 HanceRapids Extended ATX

I wonder how easy it is now, to find a S604 board ? I guess
it really depends on whether S604 processors are still in
production.

Paul

Mainboard recommendation pickle Intel 6 01-11-2005 03:22 PM
Mainboard recommendation pickle ATI 3 01-06-2005 02:45 AM
Mainboard recommendation pickle Soyo 0 01-05-2005 02:00 PM
recommendation of mainboard for sempron 2200+ imde Asus 2 12-11-2004 04:34 AM
alt.comp.periphs.mainboard,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox,aus.computers Ray Epox 0 11-01-2003 01:46 AM