Major PC hardware failure

Puddin' Man

Greetings,

I built a pc around Pentium cpu, Intel D865GVHZ board, Antec case/PS back in '06.
Have been running it about 16 hours/day ever since.

Whilst running a backup Sunday, I heard a constant little tic-tic, tic-tic,
tic-tic sound, looked down to find Speedfan registered about 74 C., then watched
the W2k system crash.

I immediately suspected a cpu fan failure, but all fans were running when I checked.
I've now replaced the cpu fan/heat-sink and the power supply.

The system gives the following message:

"The CPU was previously shutdown due to a thermal event(overheating)
Service the unit right away to resolve this"

and soon shuts down all power.

I need to restore the system to functionality, but hardly know where to start.
Any/all help would be much appreciated.

TIA,
Puddin'

Yousuf Khan

On 06/04/2011 11:21 PM, Puddin' Man wrote:
> The system gives the following message:
>
> "The CPU was previously shutdown due to a thermal event(overheating)
> Service the unit right away to resolve this"
>
> and soon shuts down all power.
>
> I need to restore the system to functionality, but hardly know where to start.
> Any/all help would be much appreciated.
>
> TIA,
> Puddin'
>
> "Law Without Equity Is No Law At All. It Is A Form Of Jungle Rule."

Check out this posting:

CPU was shutdown due to a thermal event (Overheating) - GIDForums
"The problem was with the power pin connecting to the motherboard.
It was not proper, and is too hot, which caused all these problems."
http://www.gidforums.com/t-8183.html

It seems perhaps the power supply was faulty.

Yousuf Khan

Puddin' Man

I noticed that post last night.

I've installed a new 460w PS. No help. All power contacts look clean.

How to reset Vcore???

Thanks,

On 07/04/2011 1:28 PM, Puddin' Man wrote:
> I noticed that post last night.
>
> I've installed a new 460w PS. No help. All power contacts look clean.
>
> How to reset Vcore???
>
> Thanks,

Perhaps it's a contact on the motherboard itself? Maybe a soldier broke
and lost contact?

Yousuf Khan

Puddin' Man

No definitive answer but it *appears* to have been over-voltage from an
Antec-branded power supply. Mobo and 1 of 2 HD's were lost.

Thx,

On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 19:25:16 -0400, Yousuf Khan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 07/04/2011 1:28 PM, Puddin' Man wrote:
>> I noticed that post last night.
>>
>> I've installed a new 460w PS. No help. All power contacts look clean.
>>
>> How to reset Vcore???
>>
>> Thanks,

>Perhaps it's a contact on the motherboard itself? Maybe a soldier broke
>and lost contact?
>
> Yousuf Khan

Yousuf Khan

On 18/04/2011 11:18 PM, Puddin' Man wrote:
> No definitive answer but it *appears* to have been over-voltage from an
> Antec-branded power supply. Mobo and 1 of 2 HD's were lost.

Is this the first PSU or the replacement PSU?

Yousuf Khan

Puddin' Man

On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 13:28:11 -0400, Yousuf Khan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 18/04/2011 11:18 PM, Puddin' Man wrote:
>> No definitive answer but it *appears* to have been over-voltage from an
>> Antec-branded power supply. Mobo and 1 of 2 HD's were lost.

>Is this the first PSU or the replacement PSU?

The 1st (original) PSU.

The board wouldn't power with a replacement PSU.

The system is dead, kaput, und Pues Muerta!

But I recovered 95+% of my data.