Major problem, nforce driver screwup

Joe Somebody

Ok, I was updating to the latest nforce drivers hoping to solve an IDE issue
with their SW junk. So I uninstall my current drivers and reboot. Well now
the system boots up to a black screen in normal mode. I know the system
works in the background, cause hitting the power button causes it to do a
normal shutdown, so I'm not locking up.

Attempting access in safe mode gets me to the logon screen, but my mouse and
keyboard don't work. I even plugged in a PS2 mouse, and it won't work.

Trying to go straight to the command prompt in safe mode didn't work either.

Windows install disk repair function is worthless cause I'm denied access to
trying to modify my files.

Basically windows seems to have screwed up and there aren't any drivers to
correct the issue, does anyone have an idea here? I'm thinking of a win98
boot disk and trying to manually install some drivers, but I don't see that
working. The main problem is that my main system is set up on a RAID so I
can't just easily move 3 HDs onto another system. Now that I think of it, I
imagine a boot disk won't be able to read the RAID...

So am I up **** creek or is there some way to kick in system restore or
something else?

dave

Did you try select "Last known good configuration" after pressing F8?

DaveL

"Joe Somebody" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:I4bxg.178588$(E-Mail Removed) .net...
> Ok, I was updating to the latest nforce drivers hoping to solve an IDE
> issue with their SW junk. So I uninstall my current drivers and reboot.
> Well now the system boots up to a black screen in normal mode. I know the
> system works in the background, cause hitting the power button causes it
> to do a normal shutdown, so I'm not locking up.
>
> Attempting access in safe mode gets me to the logon screen, but my mouse
> and keyboard don't work. I even plugged in a PS2 mouse, and it won't
> work.
>
> Trying to go straight to the command prompt in safe mode didn't work
> either.
>
> Windows install disk repair function is worthless cause I'm denied access
> to trying to modify my files.
>
> Basically windows seems to have screwed up and there aren't any drivers to
> correct the issue, does anyone have an idea here? I'm thinking of a win98
> boot disk and trying to manually install some drivers, but I don't see
> that working. The main problem is that my main system is set up on a RAID
> so I can't just easily move 3 HDs onto another system. Now that I think
> of it, I imagine a boot disk won't be able to read the RAID...
>
> So am I up **** creek or is there some way to kick in system restore or
> something else?

Graham W

Joe Somebody wrote:
<...> I know the system works in the background, cause hitting the power
> button causes it to do a normal shutdown, so I'm not locking up.

The power button is very much hardware so is bound to work.

Try Dave's suggestion.

WIMBORNE http://www.wessex-astro.org.uk/ Wessex Astro Society's Website
Dorset UK Info, Meeting Dates, Sites & Maps

Joe Somebody

yes, I think cause it boots but there is no video, it overwrote that so it
didn't help. By going into vga mode I can get video with normal options,
but still no mouse or kb. I saw this elsewhere, but there was no fix.

"dave" <nospam> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Did you try select "Last known good configuration" after pressing F8?
>
> DaveL
>

> "Joe Somebody" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:I4bxg.178588$(E-Mail Removed) .net...
>> Ok, I was updating to the latest nforce drivers hoping to solve an IDE
>> issue with their SW junk. So I uninstall my current drivers and reboot.
>> Well now the system boots up to a black screen in normal mode. I know
>> the system works in the background, cause hitting the power button causes
>> it to do a normal shutdown, so I'm not locking up.
>>
>> Attempting access in safe mode gets me to the logon screen, but my mouse
>> and keyboard don't work. I even plugged in a PS2 mouse, and it won't
>> work.
>>
>> Trying to go straight to the command prompt in safe mode didn't work
>> either.
>>
>> Windows install disk repair function is worthless cause I'm denied access
>> to trying to modify my files.
>>
>> Basically windows seems to have screwed up and there aren't any drivers
>> to correct the issue, does anyone have an idea here? I'm thinking of a
>> win98 boot disk and trying to manually install some drivers, but I don't
>> see that working. The main problem is that my main system is set up on a
>> RAID so I can't just easily move 3 HDs onto another system. Now that I
>> think of it, I imagine a boot disk won't be able to read the RAID...
>>
>> So am I up **** creek or is there some way to kick in system restore or
>> something else?

Joe Somebody

The power button is a none issue, but I believe it booted fine because the
system did not immediately shut down with a press, but acted just like
pressing it with acpi and windows running, it shut itself down after like 8
seconds of HD activity. It's also a non issue because even that isn't
happening anymore.

I can still get into safe mode and various other forms of regular mode, but
I need a KB to fix the issue and for some reason it won't work. Don't
suppose there is a way to force the drivers to load?

"Graham W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:44c545b0$0$965$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Joe Somebody wrote:
> <...> I know the system works in the background, cause hitting the power
>> button causes it to do a normal shutdown, so I'm not locking up.

> The power button is very much hardware so is bound to work.
>
> Try Dave's suggestion.
>
> --
> Graham W http://www.gcw.org.uk/ PGM-FI page updated, Graphics Tutorial
> WIMBORNE http://www.wessex-astro.org.uk/ Wessex Astro Society's Website
> Dorset UK Info, Meeting Dates, Sites & Maps
> Change 'news' to 'sewn' in my Reply address to avoid my spam filter.

dave

Forget the win98 boot disk. XP uses ntfs and you won't be able to see it.
A ps2 keyboard and mouse should work fine in safe mode. Check settings in
cmos. Make sure you have them plugged correctly. If all else fails, you
can do a repair install using the XP cd.

DaveL

"Joe Somebody" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%ocxg.72085$(E-Mail Removed). net...
> yes, I think cause it boots but there is no video, it overwrote that so it
> didn't help. By going into vga mode I can get video with normal options,
> but still no mouse or kb. I saw this elsewhere, but there was no fix.
>
> "dave" <nospam> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> Did you try select "Last known good configuration" after pressing F8?
>>
>> DaveL
>>

>> "Joe Somebody" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:I4bxg.178588$(E-Mail Removed) .net...
>>> Ok, I was updating to the latest nforce drivers hoping to solve an IDE
>>> issue with their SW junk. So I uninstall my current drivers and reboot.
>>> Well now the system boots up to a black screen in normal mode. I know
>>> the system works in the background, cause hitting the power button
>>> causes it to do a normal shutdown, so I'm not locking up.
>>>
>>> Attempting access in safe mode gets me to the logon screen, but my mouse
>>> and keyboard don't work. I even plugged in a PS2 mouse, and it won't
>>> work.
>>>
>>> Trying to go straight to the command prompt in safe mode didn't work
>>> either.
>>>
>>> Windows install disk repair function is worthless cause I'm denied
>>> access to trying to modify my files.
>>>
>>> Basically windows seems to have screwed up and there aren't any drivers
>>> to correct the issue, does anyone have an idea here? I'm thinking of a
>>> win98 boot disk and trying to manually install some drivers, but I don't
>>> see that working. The main problem is that my main system is set up on
>>> a RAID so I can't just easily move 3 HDs onto another system. Now that
>>> I think of it, I imagine a boot disk won't be able to read the RAID...
>>>
>>> So am I up **** creek or is there some way to kick in system restore or
>>> something else?

Joe Somebody

yeah, forgot about ntfs...
they don't work in safe mode, but they work for cmos and windows setup
tasks... so something is screwy there. I mean how the hell does that
happen, they're like the most basic of drivers...
I can't do a repair, it isn't an option for whatever reason.
I have a partition with no OS, I was thinking of putting server 2003 on
there and then just transferring some files and starting over.

"dave" <nospam> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Forget the win98 boot disk. XP uses ntfs and you won't be able to see it.
> A ps2 keyboard and mouse should work fine in safe mode. Check settings in
> cmos. Make sure you have them plugged correctly. If all else fails, you
> can do a repair install using the XP cd.
>
> DaveL
>

> "Joe Somebody" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%ocxg.72085$(E-Mail Removed). net...
>> yes, I think cause it boots but there is no video, it overwrote that so
>> it didn't help. By going into vga mode I can get video with normal
>> options, but still no mouse or kb. I saw this elsewhere, but there was
>> no fix.
>>
>> "dave" <nospam> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> Did you try select "Last known good configuration" after pressing F8?
>>>
>>> DaveL
>>>

>>> "Joe Somebody" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:I4bxg.178588$(E-Mail Removed) .net...

dave

You could do a repair install if you supplied the floppy with the raid
driver on it when it says press F6.

DaveL

"Joe Somebody" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:v8fxg.56205$(E-Mail Removed) om...
> yeah, forgot about ntfs...
> they don't work in safe mode, but they work for cmos and windows setup
> tasks... so something is screwy there. I mean how the hell does that
> happen, they're like the most basic of drivers...
> I can't do a repair, it isn't an option for whatever reason.
> I have a partition with no OS, I was thinking of putting server 2003 on
> there and then just transferring some files and starting over.
>

> "dave" <nospam> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> Forget the win98 boot disk. XP uses ntfs and you won't be able to see
>> it. A ps2 keyboard and mouse should work fine in safe mode. Check
>> settings in cmos. Make sure you have them plugged correctly. If all
>> else fails, you can do a repair install using the XP cd.
>>
>> DaveL
>>

>> "Joe Somebody" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%ocxg.72085$(E-Mail Removed). net...
>>> yes, I think cause it boots but there is no video, it overwrote that so
>>> it didn't help. By going into vga mode I can get video with normal
>>> options, but still no mouse or kb. I saw this elsewhere, but there was
>>> no fix.
>>>
>>> "dave" <nospam> wrote in message
>>> news(E-Mail Removed). ..

Junior Member

I know its an old thread but did you found a solution to this problem?

I'm running an ASUS board which has nForce4 and running into the same problem when tried to update SMBus drivers from nVidia.

First it booted into black screen, now can't use mouse or keyboard in safe mode. It is not frozen cuz when I press the power button, it let me choose to shutdown or restart. I can't do sh1t with it now.

There's nothing wrong with the keyboard cuz I can press f8 and choose safe mode. I'm actually booting into another hard drive running vista to find a solution. So yes my ps/2 keyboard is reconized by the bios and my usb mouse also.

Last edited by Task514; 09-12-2006 at 09:50 PM..