How to make SATA drives visible?

Hans-Peter Diettrich

On my new system I cannot install XP or other (older) systems - they all
do not see any harddisks :-(

Is this a BIOS issue, which hides those drives by default?

What else can I do?

DoDi

Brett Kline

Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
> On my new system I cannot install XP or other (older) systems - they all
> do not see any harddisks :-(

Find the SATA drivers for your motherboard. Copy them to the root
directory of a floppy.

During Windows setup you will be prompted to press F6 to install
SCSI/SATA/RAID drivers. Press F6 then insert the floppy when prompted.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...e+Search&meta=

Hans-Peter Diettrich

Brett Kline wrote:

>> On my new system I cannot install XP or other (older) systems - they
>> all do not see any harddisks :-(

> Find the SATA drivers for your motherboard. Copy them to the root
> directory of a floppy.

Fine - but I don't have an floppy drive :-(

But I see the big picture, perhaps I can merge the driver into a new
setup disk.

DoDi

Brett Kline

Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:

> But I see the big picture, perhaps I can merge the driver into a new
> setup disk.

This process is known as "slipstreaming".

http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm

Download the RAID Slipstreamer utility as well as MagicISO or PowerISO.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=85842

Note: trial mode limits the ability to create ISO files to 300MB.

gfretwell@aol.com

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 23:02:21 -0600, Brett Kline <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
>> On my new system I cannot install XP or other (older) systems - they all
>> do not see any harddisks :-(

>Find the SATA drivers for your motherboard. Copy them to the root
>directory of a floppy.
>
>During Windows setup you will be prompted to press F6 to install
>SCSI/SATA/RAID drivers. Press F6 then insert the floppy when prompted.
>
>http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...e+Search&meta=

This has to be a BIOS thing. If you can't see the drives until windows
loads how will you ever load it?
If you have onboard BIOS support for SATA it should be able to see
them before you do anything, hence the word boot(strap).
Do you see the drives in BIOS?
Your real problem may simply be that they are not partitioned and
formatted. You should find those utilities on the windoze CD or create
the partitions on another system and swap the drives in.

Hans-Peter Diettrich

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> This has to be a BIOS thing. If you can't see the drives until windows
> loads how will you ever load it?

The drive is visible in the BIOS.

I tried to enable IDE mode for the drive, what allowed to start the
installation of XP, but only until the first reboot - then the disk was
unusable. Could this be related to the size (360 GB) of the drive, which
is not supported in IDE mode?

Fortunately I could repair the drive, using the Vista repair features,
without loss of partitions or data. Apart from the Linux bootloader, of
course <BG>. Perhaps I had much luck, when I tried to install XP only in
the first 60 GB of the drive?

DoDi

Hans-Peter Diettrich

Brett Kline wrote:

> Download the RAID Slipstreamer utility as well as MagicISO or PowerISO.

How is SATA related to RAID?

The support pages of my system include an download of "Intel(R) Matrix
Storage Manager" - is this what I need to get the required driver(s)?

DoDi

gfretwell@aol.com

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 02:05:26 +0100, Hans-Peter Diettrich
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> This has to be a BIOS thing. If you can't see the drives until windows
>> loads how will you ever load it?

>The drive is visible in the BIOS.
>
>I tried to enable IDE mode for the drive, what allowed to start the
>installation of XP, but only until the first reboot - then the disk was
>unusable. Could this be related to the size (360 GB) of the drive, which
>is not supported in IDE mode?
>
>Fortunately I could repair the drive, using the Vista repair features,
>without loss of partitions or data. Apart from the Linux bootloader, of
>course <BG>. Perhaps I had much luck, when I tried to install XP only in
>the first 60 GB of the drive?
>
>DoDi

You could try that (loading the 60 as C
The other thing might be to partition that drive into 2 smaller drives

Hans-Peter Diettrich

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>Fortunately I could repair the drive, using the Vista repair features,
>>without loss of partitions or data. Apart from the Linux bootloader, of
>>course <BG>. Perhaps I had much luck, when I tried to install XP only in
>>the first 60 GB of the drive?

> You could try that (loading the 60 as C
> The other thing might be to partition that drive into 2 smaller drives

The drive was already partitioned into 3 primaries of 20-30 GB each, and
one extended partition.

Hans-Peter Diettrich

Brett Kline wrote:

> This process is known as "slipstreaming".
>
> http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm

> Download the RAID Slipstreamer utility as well as MagicISO or PowerISO.
>
> http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=85842

Thanks for the links :-)

First I made a slipstream distribution of XP+SP2. Then I added the RAID
drivers, and the result didn't fit on a CD. No problem, I could burn a
DVD that booted and saw the SATA drive. But after the first step of the
installation the disk again was unusable :-(

Perhaps I did too much at once?

It looks to me as if the new drivers now are used, but the treatment of
the disk (MBR...) still seems to be inappropriate.

And I also couldn't find an $OEM$ folder - has this one been removed
from the newer Slipstreamer?

And a last question (for now ;-), how would I incorporate all the XP
drivers, supplied with my system?

DoDi