How Many Years

Custom Computers

How many years will it take Soyo to build a Socket 775 motherboard?
Innovation For Life they declare on the web site. Two years ago they
compensated me to moderate there support site, which I did till I gave
them the ultimatuim: Build a Socket 775 board or I would have to stop
selling there products and end my support. Then they told me the boards
were coming and I would be happy with the products. Then came the
rebate fiasco, I got tired of people requesting my assistence with
something that was totaly out of my control.

I'm still using the Soyo P4I 845 PE board that was the last one I
bought. With great results but I check the company web site from time
to time and even look in this group from time to time but still no
Socket 775 boards. What a joke Soyo has become.

Soyo Guy

Custom Computers wrote:

> How many years will it take Soyo to build a Socket 775
> motherboard?

Heh. The Prescott socket-478 version of the P4I-845 was just released
a month or two ago (good luck getting CPU's for it). Talk about being
way behind the curve. No AGP socket (instead they have some Intel
graphics chip that is not even described properly - even in the doc's
for the board).

Yes, Soyo needs a socket 775 replacement for the P4I-845 (with ISA
slots). They need it before socket 775 CPU's become unavailable.

> What a joke Soyo has become.

They've diversified way beyond being a motherboard company.

Custom Computers

ISA slots, LOL its the 21st. Century now.

Soyo Guy

Custom Computers wrote:

> ISA slots, LOL its the 21st. Century now.

Obviously you know very little about the industrial computer scene.

Custom Computers

Actually I do, thats where I got my start, with custom programmable
milling and boring machines. Which all of our machines we build now use
PCI components. But yes outdated machines still use ISA and
motherboards are running in short supply for them. Our new machines are
even using PCI Express for display screens. Some of which even are
equipped with wireless LAN so programmers can access individual machine
centers for programming changes during operation.

Soyo Guy

Custom Computers wrote:

> But yes outdated machines still use ISA

It's not outdated machines, but very expensive ISA-based peripheral
hardware (in many industrial and telecom settings). When a 3-ISA-slot
motherboard from Soyo costs $200, but new PCI-based hardware costs
$10,000, it's a no-brainer that keeping the old ISA cards is the most
cost-effective solution.

> and motherboards are running in short supply for them.

Soyo and SuperMicro are the last (as far as I know) that make standard
ATX motherboards with P-4 support and ISA slots. I'm not sure about
SuperMicro, but Soyo *finally* supports Prescott (a year later than
they should have and basically too late if you ask me).

It's funny, but Intel / Micro$oft were adament that P-4 chipsets
couldn't support ISA slots.

In the true industrial channel, there are ISA backplane and
motherboard-on-a-card solutions that cost easily $1000 and will be
around for a while.

Custom Computers

Wow, I see there now down to just one motherboard in production. Last
one out the door please turn out the lights.

TomC

It's a shame. They made excellent motherboards. I still manage five or six
K7VTA Pros, still absolutely reliable except for the cheap little
Northbridge fans. I never had a Soyo motherboard fail.

I wish Soyo had hired John Howland. I still wonder what happened to him.

TomC

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

tcsenter@yahoo.com

>>Soyo and SuperMicro are the last (as far as I know) that make standard ATX motherboards with P-4 support and ISA slots.
>>I'm not sure about SuperMicro, but Soyo *finally* supports Prescott (a year later than they should have and basically too late if you ask me).

SuperMicro P4SCA based on Canterwood ES supports Northwood, Prescott,
and Extreme Edition up to 3.4GHz, Dual Channel DDR, Gigabit LAN, SATA,
and has been shipping for nearly three years now. SuperMicro has a
much larger IPC customer base and better reputation. ITOX/DFI is
another big name in IPC market.

There are even LGA775 motherboards based on Intel 915G with PCI-E x16
and ISA (iBase Taiwan).

Soyo Guy

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> SuperMicro P4SCA based on Canterwood ES supports Northwood,
> Prescott, and Extreme Edition up to 3.4GHz, ...

I don't think the P4SCA supports Prescott.

http://www.supermicro.com/products/m...7210/P4SCA.cfm

The P4SCA has 800 mhz FSB (the Soyo only has 533/400). According to
the specs for the P4SCA, Celeron support is listed as "128 kb cache" -
that's a Northwood Celeron. Prescott Celerons have 256 kb.

The P4SCA has no AGP slot (the Soyo doesn't either, but it used to).
The P4SCA and Soyo have integrated video. The P4SCA has very pathetic
ATI Rage XL (8 mb ram). I don't know what the Soyo has.

> There are even LGA775 motherboards based on Intel 915G with
> PCI-E x16 and ISA (iBase Taiwan).

I've seen I-base motherboards before, like this one:

http://www.ibase-i.com.tw/mb880.htm

Street price seems to be $320. More than $100 more than Soyo or
Supermicro. But yes, it will soon be the most likely alternative for
industrial PC's with ISA and Socket-775.