Mavericks-Can't Open Folder in New Window?

FPP

It appears that mavericks has fundamentally changed the way you open
folders.

It used to be that there was a preferene setting that allowed you to
open a folder inside a new window. Mavericks has now gotten rid of that
option.

Now, it appears that you have to Opt-Click the folder to open it in it's
own window. Why? How does adding a key modifier make things better?

It's a minor annoyance - but it changes the way I've been working for
years. In a production setting, these little annoyances quickly become
time wasting productivity killers.

Added to the loss of MT-Newswatcher, and the fact that my fonts in Pages
look horrendous - well, Mavericks is leaving me with a decidedly bad
taste in my mouth.

I also see that the "grid spacing" options in the finder is different -
so now I have to shuffle my icons around to different positions in order
to fit the same number in their customary positions. Another "minor"
annoyance. BUT it's an annoyance that wasn't there in Mt Lion.

About the only plus I've noticed is that Font Book finally opens up in
under 2 minutes. That's actually quite an improvement over ML.

Oh, and "Mavericks" is still a pretty crappy name for an operating
system. I wonder why they didn't spell it with an "X"? At least
"MaverickX" would have been clever, as well as accurate...

FPP

--
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits."

Michelle Steiner

FPP <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> It appears that mavericks has fundamentally changed the way you open
> folders.
>
> It used to be that there was a preferene setting that allowed you to
> open a folder inside a new window. Mavericks has now gotten rid of that
> option.
>
> Now, it appears that you have to Opt-Click the folder to open it in it's
> own window. Why? How does adding a key modifier make things better?

It used to be that if you double-clicked a folder, it would open in the
same window, and you could use the back arrow to move back to the
previous window. Strike "used to be" because it's still the same way.

Ditto for option double clicking a folder; it used to and still opens
the folder while closing the enclosing folder.

The change is that previously, command-double clicking a folder would
open it in a new window; now it opens it in a new tab in the same
window.

> Added to the loss of MT-Newswatcher,

Blame that on Simon Frasier; he stopped developing MNNW years ago. Open
Transport was deprecated many versions of OS X ago, and finally removed
in Mavericks.

> Oh, and "Mavericks" is still a pretty crappy name for an operating
> system. I wonder why they didn't spell it with an "X"?

Because the surfing site it's named after is named "Mavericks".

Wes Groleau

On 10-29-2013, 10:47, Michelle Steiner wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
>> Oh, and "Mavericks" is still a pretty crappy name for an operating
>> system. I wonder why they didn't spell it with an "X"?

> Because the surfing site it's named after is named "Mavericks".

Another minor annoyance: The install changed the rotating desktop
backgrounds on all accounts to ba a constant photo of a big wave.

And it is apparently a small photo, so it looks grainy when stretched to
my screen size.

If you blow up the installer icon, you can see just a hint of that image
peeking through the X as if it were a cut-out. Few will notice, as at
regular size, it's just a dark blue X. I think it would have bee better
to have the disk show the wave, with a white X in front of it.

--
Wes Groleau

There are some ideas so wrong that only a
very intelligent person could believe in them.
— George Orwell

nospam

In article <291020130747587194%(E-Mail Removed)>, Michelle Steiner
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > It appears that mavericks has fundamentally changed the way you open
> > folders.
> >
> > It used to be that there was a preferene setting that allowed you to
> > open a folder inside a new window. Mavericks has now gotten rid of that
> > option.
> >
> > Now, it appears that you have to Opt-Click the folder to open it in it's
> > own window. Why? How does adding a key modifier make things better?

> It used to be that if you double-clicked a folder, it would open in the
> same window, and you could use the back arrow to move back to the
> previous window. Strike "used to be" because it's still the same way.
>
> Ditto for option double clicking a folder; it used to and still opens
> the folder while closing the enclosing folder.
>
> The change is that previously, command-double clicking a folder would
> open it in a new window; now it opens it in a new tab in the same
> window.

no, the change is there used to be a preference for new window, and now
it's gone.

> > Added to the loss of MT-Newswatcher,

> Blame that on Simon Frasier; he stopped developing MNNW years ago. Open
> Transport was deprecated many versions of OS X ago, and finally removed
> in Mavericks.

doesn't matter who is at fault. at the end of the day, mtnw no longer
works.

there are alternatives, but it's still an issue.

the same issue happened with lion when rosetta went away. those who had
powerpc apps had to find alternatives.

> > Oh, and "Mavericks" is still a pretty crappy name for an operating
> > system. I wonder why they didn't spell it with an "X"?

> Because the surfing site it's named after is named "Mavericks".

still a dumb name.

John White

In article <l4omrr$3kd$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Wes Groleau <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Another minor annoyance: The install changed the rotating desktop
> backgrounds on all accounts to ba a constant photo of a big wave.

Didn't happen to me; I still have the same rotating desktop backgrounds
that I had before the Mavericks install.

Wes Groleau

On 10-29-2013, 14:46, John White wrote:
> Wes Groleau <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Another minor annoyance: The install changed the rotating desktop
>> backgrounds on all accounts to be a constant photo of a big wave.

> Didn't happen to me; I still have the same rotating desktop backgrounds
> that I had before the Mavericks install.

Hmmm....weird. Anyone with GraphicConverter (GC) and/or MS Office 2011
who did NOT have them forget that you were licensed?

More weirdness: I avoided opening mail due to the GMail issues I had
been warned about. I clicked the GC support link without thinking and
it launched Mail, which worked the same as before, i.e. poorly, but with
no new problems and no change in the old ones.

--
Wes Groleau

I've noticed lately that the paranoid fear of computers becoming
intelligent and taking over the world has almost entirely disappeared
from the common culture. Near as I can tell, this coincides with
the release of MS-DOS.
— Larry DeLuca

Neill Massello

Michelle Steiner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The change is that previously, command-double clicking a folder would
> open it in a new window; now it opens it in a new tab in the same
> window.

The old behavior can be restored by unchecking "Open folders in tabs
instead of new windows" in Finder Preferences. Pressing the Option key
toggles the contextual menu command between "Open in New Window" and
"Open in New Tab", the default being determined by the Finder setting.

Michelle Steiner

In article <1lbic6r.yrvw6t1n1umn6N%(E-Mail Removed)>, Neill Massello
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > The change is that previously, command-double clicking a folder would
> > open it in a new window; now it opens it in a new tab in the same
> > window.

> The old behavior can be restored by unchecking "Open folders in tabs
> instead of new windows" in Finder Preferences. Pressing the Option key
> toggles the contextual menu command between "Open in New Window" and
> "Open in New Tab", the default being determined by the Finder setting.

Thanks. I had not investigated Finder Preferences yet.

-- Michelle

Lewis

In message <l4omrr$3kd$(E-Mail Removed)>
Wes Groleau <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 10-29-2013, 10:47, Michelle Steiner wrote:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
>>> Oh, and "Mavericks" is still a pretty crappy name for an operating
>>> system. I wonder why they didn't spell it with an "X"?

>> Because the surfing site it's named after is named "Mavericks".

> Another minor annoyance: The install changed the rotating desktop
> backgrounds on all accounts to ba a constant photo of a big wave.

Not on any of my machines

> And it is apparently a small photo, so it looks grainy when stretched to
> my screen size.

It is a HUGE photo, much higher resolution than any screen you own.

--
BART BUCKS ARE NOT LEGAL TENDER Bart chalkboard Ep. 8F06

Wes Groleau

On 10-29-2013, 19:46, Lewis wrote:
> In message <l4omrr$3kd$(E-Mail Removed)>
> Wes Groleau <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 10-29-2013, 10:47, Michelle Steiner wrote:
>>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
>>>
>>> Because the surfing site it's named after is named "Mavericks".

>> Another minor annoyance: The install changed the rotating desktop
>> backgrounds on all accounts to ba a constant photo of a big wave.

> Not on any of my machines
>
>> And it is apparently a small photo, so it looks grainy when stretched to
>> my screen size.

> It is a HUGE photo, much higher resolution than any screen you own.

Then it has intentionally been made grainy. Or they took a small one
and enlarged it for some reason.

--
Wes Groleau

Heroes, Heritage, and History