Motherboard Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

Mavericks install over OSX 10.6.8

 
 
Savageduck
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-24-2013, 05:54 AM
I just bit the bullet and installed OSX 9 over SL, and I was pleasantly
surprised at just how smooth the install went on my 3.6 GHz, i5, 21.5
inch 2011 vintage iMac.
Download took about 40 minutes, and the install about 35.

I mourn the loss of "Open Spaces", but I will get used to the change,
as I will the changes to Mail & Safari (though my browser of choice
these days is Chrome).

I am running through my commonly used apps such as PS CS6 and
Lightroom4 (now I can consider an upgrade to LR5) and a few others.

So far, so good.


--
Regards,

Savageduck

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-24-2013, 06:27 AM
In article <2013102322545225228-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,
Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

> I am running through my commonly used apps such as PS CS6


Don't forget to let us know about this...

--
dorayme
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Michael Vilain
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-24-2013, 07:33 AM
In article <2013102322545225228-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,
Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

> I just bit the bullet and installed OSX 9 over SL, and I was pleasantly
> surprised at just how smooth the install went on my 3.6 GHz, i5, 21.5
> inch 2011 vintage iMac.
> Download took about 40 minutes, and the install about 35.
>
> I mourn the loss of "Open Spaces", but I will get used to the change,
> as I will the changes to Mail & Safari (though my browser of choice
> these days is Chrome).
>
> I am running through my commonly used apps such as PS CS6 and
> Lightroom4 (now I can consider an upgrade to LR5) and a few others.
>
> So far, so good.


I use HyperDock for Dock previews and OpenSpaces to replace Open Spaces.

--
DeeDee, don't press that button! DeeDee! NO! Dee...
[I filter all Goggle Groups posts, so any reply may be automatically ignored]


 
Reply With Quote
 
Alan Browne
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-24-2013, 09:06 PM
On 2013.10.24, 01:54 , Savageduck wrote:
> I just bit the bullet and installed OSX 9 over SL, and I was pleasantly
> surprised at just how smooth the install went on my 3.6 GHz, i5, 21.5
> inch 2011 vintage iMac.


In "Mac speak" vintage begins around 2007 ;-)

> Download took about 40 minutes, and the install about 35.


The advantages of starting later than some of us... not that it really
mattered - did other things...

> I mourn the loss of "Open Spaces", but I will get used to the change, as
> I will the changes to Mail & Safari (though my browser of choice these
> days is Chrome).
>
> I am running through my commonly used apps such as PS CS6 and Lightroom4
> (now I can consider an upgrade to LR5) and a few others.
>
> So far, so good.


Some minor nits - quickly solved. I do notice in Monitor that Chrome
Helper is persistently in "Not Responding" state - but it hasn't caused
an issue. If I kill (Simple quit from Monitor) it, a new Helper is
started and it too eventually (a few minutes) falls into that state.

--
"Quotation, n: The act of repeating erroneously the words of another."
-Ambrose Bierce
 
Reply With Quote
 
Savageduck
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-24-2013, 11:00 PM
On 2013-10-24 21:06:45 +0000, Alan Browne
<(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> On 2013.10.24, 01:54 , Savageduck wrote:
>> I just bit the bullet and installed OSX 9 over SL, and I was pleasantly
>> surprised at just how smooth the install went on my 3.6 GHz, i5, 21.5
>> inch 2011 vintage iMac.

>
> In "Mac speak" vintage begins around 2007 ;-)


In my little collection of Macs I have them going back to 1997. That is
a particularly awful Performa 6400.

>> Download took about 40 minutes, and the install about 35.

>
> The advantages of starting later than some of us... not that it really
> mattered - did other things...
>
>> I mourn the loss of "Open Spaces", but I will get used to the change, as
>> I will the changes to Mail & Safari (though my browser of choice these
>> days is Chrome).
>>
>> I am running through my commonly used apps such as PS CS6 and Lightroom4
>> (now I can consider an upgrade to LR5) and a few others.
>>
>> So far, so good.

>
> Some minor nits - quickly solved. I do notice in Monitor that Chrome
> Helper is persistently in "Not Responding" state - but it hasn't caused
> an issue. If I kill (Simple quit from Monitor) it, a new Helper is
> started and it too eventually (a few minutes) falls into that state.


It did kill off my MS OfficeX which is a Carbon app, but I have that on
another machine. However, most surprising my VMWare Fusion 4.1.3 fired
up with barely a cough and one request to update, along with my copy of
Win XP SP3 & Office 2003.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

 
Reply With Quote
 
Alan Browne
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-24-2013, 11:14 PM
On 2013.10.24, 19:00 , Savageduck wrote:

> It did kill off my MS OfficeX which is a Carbon app, but I have that on
> another machine. However, most surprising my VMWare Fusion 4.1.3 fired
> up with barely a cough and one request to update, along with my copy of
> Win XP SP3 & Office 2003.


ML forced me to update to Fusion 5 from (IIRC 3). No issues.

--
"Quotation, n: The act of repeating erroneously the words of another."
-Ambrose Bierce
 
Reply With Quote
 
gtr
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-25-2013, 05:07 PM
On 2013-10-24 05:54:52 +0000, Savageduck said:

> I just bit the bullet and installed OSX 9 over SL, and I was pleasantly
> surprised at just how smooth the install went on my 3.6 GHz, i5, 21.5
> inch 2011 vintage iMac.
> Download took about 40 minutes, and the install about 35.
>
> I mourn the loss of "Open Spaces", but I will get used to the change,
> as I will the changes to Mail & Safari (though my browser of choice
> these days is Chrome).


Have you tried TotalSpaces2? I never used Spaces with the Mac, and
after a discussion here I tried TotalSpaces and it's a basic part of my
environment.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Savageduck
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-25-2013, 06:06 PM
On 2013-10-25 17:07:40 +0000, gtr <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> On 2013-10-24 05:54:52 +0000, Savageduck said:
>
>> I just bit the bullet and installed OSX 9 over SL, and I was pleasantly
>> surprised at just how smooth the install went on my 3.6 GHz, i5, 21.5
>> inch 2011 vintage iMac.
>> Download took about 40 minutes, and the install about 35.
>>
>> I mourn the loss of "Open Spaces", but I will get used to the change,
>> as I will the changes to Mail & Safari (though my browser of choice
>> these days is Chrome).

>
> Have you tried TotalSpaces2?


I haven't needed to until now. Thanks, I will check it out.

> I never used Spaces with the Mac, and after a discussion here I tried
> TotalSpaces and it's a basic part of my environment.


I used 4 spaces. All browsing and email was locked to one space, one
for Usenet, another for Photoshop & Lightroom, and one to use as a
general desktop for all other tasks. This made life simple when having
multiple apps open. Just move the cursor to a hot corner to select the
appropriate space, or select from the finder tool bar.

I knew that there had been changes to the way "OpenSpaces" worked in
Lion and that was one of the reasons I stuck with SL back then. Now,
there is a complete change with Mavericks. For now I will see about
familiarizing myself with the new system. If I truly can't deal with it
I will explore TotalSpaces2.


--
Regards,

Savageduck

 
Reply With Quote
 
gtr
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-28-2013, 02:14 AM
On 2013-10-25 18:06:28 +0000, Savageduck said:

>> I never used Spaces with the Mac, and after a discussion here I tried
>> TotalSpaces and it's a basic part of my environment.

>
> I used 4 spaces. All browsing and email was locked to one space, one
> for Usenet, another for Photoshop & Lightroom, and one to use as a
> general desktop for all other tasks. This made life simple when having
> multiple apps open. Just move the cursor to a hot corner to select the
> appropriate space, or select from the finder tool bar.


I had no idea that this kind of multi-space environment was of any use.
In fact I think I had snarky things to say about it here but got
push-back. Shortly thereafter I got TotalSpaces in a bundle and began
using it in similar ways 1) Open use, 2) Mail, calendar, Reminders,
Address Book and Messaging 3) Music related, 4) Music production, 3)
Writing programs, 4) iTunes. I couldn't believe how quickly I adapted
to it.

> I knew that there had been changes to the way "OpenSpaces" worked in
> Lion and that was one of the reasons I stuck with SL back then. Now,
> there is a complete change with Mavericks. For now I will see about
> familiarizing myself with the new system. If I truly can't deal with it
> I will explore TotalSpaces2.


Part of what converted me to TotalSpaces was using TotalFinder, written
by the same crew.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Savageduck
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-28-2013, 04:41 AM
On 2013-10-28 02:14:31 +0000, gtr <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> On 2013-10-25 18:06:28 +0000, Savageduck said:
>
>>> I never used Spaces with the Mac, and after a discussion here I tried
>>> TotalSpaces and it's a basic part of my environment.

>>
>> I used 4 spaces. All browsing and email was locked to one space, one
>> for Usenet, another for Photoshop & Lightroom, and one to use as a
>> general desktop for all other tasks. This made life simple when having
>> multiple apps open. Just move the cursor to a hot corner to select the
>> appropriate space, or select from the finder tool bar.

>
> I had no idea that this kind of multi-space environment was of any use.
> In fact I think I had snarky things to say about it here but got
> push-back. Shortly thereafter I got TotalSpaces in a bundle and began
> using it in similar ways 1) Open use, 2) Mail, calendar, Reminders,
> Address Book and Messaging 3) Music related, 4) Music production, 3)
> Writing programs, 4) iTunes. I couldn't believe how quickly I adapted
> to it.


Moving from one space to another has been second nature to me in SL. I
have been working with the Mavericks Mission Control set up and the way
the desktop works now. That said, I believe TotalSpaces2 is in my
future.

>
>> I knew that there had been changes to the way "OpenSpaces" worked in
>> Lion and that was one of the reasons I stuck with SL back then. Now,
>> there is a complete change with Mavericks. For now I will see about
>> familiarizing myself with the new system. If I truly can't deal with it
>> I will explore TotalSpaces2.

>
> Part of what converted me to TotalSpaces was using TotalFinder, written
> by the same crew.



--
Regards,

Savageduck

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Quicktime still abandoned in Mavericks? Kevin McMurtrie Apple 34 07-23-2013 01:05 AM
1Password price - Mavericks a comin' Alan Browne Apple 20 07-19-2013 12:29 AM
Mavericks????? Nelson Apple 186 07-07-2013 12:41 AM
Mavericks compatibility David Fritzinger Apple 7 06-18-2013 03:24 PM
Mavericks core technology Overview Michelle Steiner Apple 23 06-18-2013 06:08 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:07 AM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment